Help...need a tractor...no idea which one...

/ Help...need a tractor...no idea which one... #1  

Mayeera

I just got a 10.5 acre horse farm. it is flat with large fields that will need to be mowed. Also, I will want to drag my riding ring and also move some manure around (use a manure spreader, clean up my manure pit, etc..)

I would like to stay as inexpensive as I can. Thanks!!

/ Help...need a tractor...no idea which one... #2  
What is your actual budget? New or used? Front end loader? How big a mower would you like to pull? Rotary cutter (bush hog) or finishing mower?

/ Help...need a tractor...no idea which one... #3  
What were the previous owners using?

Egon

/ Help...need a tractor...no idea which one...
I'm not sure what the old owners used. my fields are approximately 2-3 acres, so I'm assuming a I need a bush-hog. I guess a front end loader. not really sure. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I've never had a tractor before. I am looking for something easy to use. I did get a quote on a john deere 3320 w/ rotary cutter and 300CX loader. that came to just under $20k w/ the USEF discount.

I'm just trying to do some comparison shopping. see what is out there... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Help...need a tractor...no idea which one... #5  
I have 10 acres, flat, horse country.

Last May I bought a new 21HP B7510HST with LA302 FEL for $12,600 from my local Kubota dealer. I easily handles a 48" box blade and a 48" brush hog. Had the dealer weld 3 chain hooks onto the FEL bucket to make it more useful.

My neighbor has a 28HP New Holland with HST and FEL for his 10 acre horse ranch. Cost about $18K two years ago.

Another neighbor has a pre-owned 1996 model 50HP New Holland ag tractor that he uses on his 6 acres. Cost about $11K.

If your budget is really tight, you might want to check the grey market tractor forums (Yanmar, Iseki, etc) here. You can find 20-25HP tractors there under $10K with FEL.

Then there's always the Chinese tractors like Jinma. You can get these in the 20-25HP range for $5-6K delivered in a crate for you and a few helpful friends to assemble.

/ Help...need a tractor...no idea which one... #6  
I'd guess in the 20-30 hp range.. 4' brush mower for the lower hp.. 5' brush mower for the higher hp. FEL is nice.. if you can afford it.

Besides looking at new.. look at 'new' used models at a dealer. I've gotten great deals by buying a couple year old machine at the dealer it was sold at.

There is always the chinese market, and grey market, and antiques, if you are handy with a tool box and gojo.

Soundguy

/ Help...need a tractor...no idea which one... #7  
Inexpensive, heh! That's a relative term. What is inexpensive?

I'm a big fan of used tractors. Several advantages in buying used.

One is price. (usually) Let someone else take that "drive it off the lot and take a loss" hit. (Some tractors, especially some BRANDS don't suffer so much in this regard)

Another thing to consider, if a tractor (brand) isn't the best in the world, letting someone else "test drive" it for a couple years will determine a great deal about how it will last. Some of the better models and brands have been known to stay on the job 50 years or more.

Buying used might also allow you to go BIGGER than what you can afford new. More horsepower, more weight, more options, all for the same money.

If I was to have but one tractor, it MUST have a loader. I've got three, two with loaders.

I'm a big fan of Massey Fergusons in the 30 to 50 HP range. Fords in the same size and slightly bigger, and when you start getting beyond 50 HP, make mine John Deere. That's not to say there isn't another choice, but that's what I like. (based on my personal experience, dealerships in my area, and what I get for my dollar)

Anyone that tries to tell you they have "the best tractor made" is full of it! There's dozens of great choices. Tractors are just like Ice cream. They make chocolate, strawberry and vanilla so everyone can have the flavor they want.

/ Help...need a tractor...no idea which one... #9  
Consider a Yanmar, great value. Would help to know your location.

Bruce