Frederick, Maryland & Vicinity Dealers

/ Frederick, Maryland & Vicinity Dealers #1  

dlroy101

Bronze Member
I sat on and drove my first test tractors last evening at the NH dealer in Frederick. I drove a TC23 to get a feel for that size chasis (wanted to try a TC26) and tried a TC33 w/supersteer to checkout that size (wanted to try a TC29). Anyway, I really have the bug now. I went by Frederick Equipment to look at Kubotas, but I didn't see much in stock that I wanted to test. I still have a few different dealers I can go to in the immediate area, but wanted to see if any locals can share there experiences with any of them. I am willing to travel some, but would like to keep it as close as I can. BTW, the tractor I get is going to be used in the Capon Bridge, West Virginia area, so maybe looking in that area would be reasonable as well. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to haul the tractor all the time or store it in a shed at my property. Neither prospect is entirely appealing. I have a Nissan Frontier for hauling and it's max towing capacity is 5k, so I don't want to over do it on size. And then the property is about 1:45 away and private, so I would be somewhat nervous leaving that pricey of an item there even though it would be locked up. Sorry for all the rambling.

Darrell

/ Frederick, Maryland & Vicinity Dealers #2  
Their are several good dealers around Frederick besides the New Holland Dealer.

Frederick Equipment Kubota generally has quite a few nice machine such as the b2630 and b3030 along with grand 3130 models that would be worth looking at. Might be worth stopping back.

Gladhill John Deere has a huge brand new building off of Route 340. Get off on Mount Zion road and it is right at the exit. It's a huge new building. I checked out the 3320 on their lot just a few days ago.

D.W. Ogg Equipment, is directly across route 340 from Gladhill John Deere. They are the Massey Fergusen dealer and also sell Simplicity and Ventrac and Gravely. I bought my Simplicity Conquest from them. They are a good dealer.

HB Duvall is the Case dealer and right near the Frederick Fairground. They also carry Cub Cadets. Gladhill John Deere used to be across the street from them unti they built their brand new showroom on Route 340.

Their are others around as well, but these should give you a great start. Most of these dealers are open till noon on Saturday and all have their loyal following around the area. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them as a dealer.

What are you planning on doing with the tractor you have in mind?

/ Frederick, Maryland & Vicinity Dealers
I just bought a 20.7 acre lot (about 15 acres is useable) in the Capon Bridge, WV area. It's about 30 minutes west of Winchester, VA, so that puts me about 1:45 away from home. The land for now is recreational (camping, hiking, dirtbiking, etc.). We may build a cabin in a few years, but I never plan on taking down many trees. The lot is mostly wooded with no substantial clearings. I did have a driveway roughed in as part of the contract. I'm hiring out with an excavator to finish the driveway and make a landing area for me. I thought having somebody with big equipment would be better for getting things compacted than me trying to do it.

What I plan on doing with the tractor is:
Cutting in paths/trails
Moving rocks, logs, dirt
Maybe some rough mowing
Post holes for some fencing
Whatever else I can think of that the tractor can do

My biggest issue (besides money) is that I will need to haul the tractor back/forth between home and the property. I have a '03 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab, that we've had less than two years and I'd take a big hit if I bought a bigger truck now. That requires me to get something that I can tow comfortably with that truck. I probably would have needed to keep it smaller due to storage reasons at home anyway. I did find somethings out today and have narrowed my list.

First, in order to have a FEL, filled tires, and still be reasonable to load/tow, the tractor needs to be less than 2000 lbs. Second, the trailer I need is going to weigh about 1600 lbs itself, so I need to have the tractor at home just to move the trailer around. BTW, I had thought about storing the tractor at the property in a locked shed, but I am concerned about theft and/or vandalism. It's a safe area, but is isolated and somebody could take their sweet time if they wanted to.

Here's my list and I do have a few quotes for the tractor, FEL, and filled R-4 tires:
Kubota B7800 - $14,650
Kubota B3030 - $16,550
Kubota B7610
New Holland TC26DA - $16,549 (I've decided the TC29 & 33 are too big.)
Case DX26
John Deere 2520
Massey Ferguson MF1423-4

I have drove the ones I have quotes for. I fell in love with the Kubotas today. I'm not sure if the extras on the 3030 justify the extra expense over the 7800. I really liked them both. I did like the single pedal and telescoping 3pt hitch on the 3030. I could live without the other extras. I would be more than happy to listen to any opinions.

Thanks,
Darrell

/ Frederick, Maryland & Vicinity Dealers #4  
All the models your looking at are quality tractors. I bought mine from Frederick Equipment and they are a good outfit. The others you mentioned all seemed capable dealers when I was looking to buy. So while I thought the 3130 was the best deal when I pulled the trigger, that's not to say another manufacturer and dealer wouldn't be better for you. The towing capacity issue is a big one. Don't underestimate the total operating weight of even the smaller tractors with loaded tires, FEL, and other attachments. That will factor into the size trailer you need. My 3130 is 3,300 lbs. I have it as heavily loaded as you can or should and I'm just under 8,000 as configured. So calculate the weight of all the attachments, etc. I thought a 7,000 GVW trailer would haul mine. It won't with my setup. I need at least a 10K and preferrably a 12 or 14K GVW trailer. It also nearly maxes out my 93 Ford diesel for towing capacity. You'd never guess that to look at it.

Good luck

/ Frederick, Maryland & Vicinity Dealers #5  
I bought my TC-35 at Antietam Tractor on the Leitersburg pike in Hagerstown MD.They sell New Holland and Kubota.I have had very good service from them and recieved a good deal when i purchased my tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bernie

/ Frederick, Maryland & Vicinity Dealers #6  
I'd look at some of the newer 15 series Massey's as well. Ogg has some at their dealer ship. I'd also look at the Kubota b2630 for your application. Weight is down a little from the b3030. I's imagine it would work well for your application. I like Frederick Equipment Company for Kubota as well, and also heard good things about Antetiem dealer over in Hagerstown.

All the tractors on your list are good models. You'll find one that really fits you well.

/ Frederick, Maryland & Vicinity Dealers #7  
For NH, check out Forrester Farm Equipment in Chambersburg

Kubota is best at Frederick Equipment IMHO

Wertz in Hanover and Lineboro has Kioti and Agco, tho they tend to be on the high side

Knott and Giesbert is in Urbana, but not sure what their status is anymore

I was going to stop in Gladhill last time I was there, but didn't have my tux, so I figured they wouldn't let me in /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

there's also a little tractor place (I think they sell Long) just east of Winchester on Rt 7.

I bought from a dealer in Bedford, PA

and lastly, my MIL has a place not too far from you just past Slanesville heading towards Romney...

/ Frederick, Maryland & Vicinity Dealers #8  
You should check Out Messicks in PA. They have a couple of locations and sell NH, Case and Kubota.

Winchester Equipment in VA has Kubota and New Holland and is close to Capon Bridge on RT 522. Good stock but somewhat higher priced.

Good luck.

/ Frederick, Maryland & Vicinity Dealers #9  
I have purchased two tractors from Antietem and have been very satisfied. They have been good for service and warrenty work and were able to give me the best price due to their volume. (all purchases have been kubotas) Neighbor also purchased a tractor from them. He had a friend at Frederick who worked in the service area. When he called about getting a price similar to what he got at Antietem, his buddy told him they can't match Anteitem's deal. This was about a year and half ago, so don't know if Frederick has gotten more agressive with pricing

/ Frederick, Maryland & Vicinity Dealers #10  
Ditto on the Antitam dealer in Hagerstown. Frederick was $2480 higher on the same deal I got on the NHTC48DA. Plus Antitam loaded the rear tires, and delivered, no xtra charge. Call Justin Reed, he is a very straight dealing person to get a NH from. Frederick, and Gaithersburg Equipent are related, and both are in a much higher cost area than Antitam. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif