JD 4400 vs Kubota 3450

/ JD 4400 vs Kubota 3450 #11  
It's a matter of both weight and wheelbase, but I believe the JD4400 was factory "OK'd" for a light six foot cutter (i.e. the LX6). I'm not as familiar with the Kubota line, but if that model is heavier, longer, or both - that could well translate into easier handling of a heavier attachment. Again, though, I know folks are using MX6 cutters on 4310's.

The lay of your land counts for a lot too. If you've got flat or relatively gentle grades, you'll likely handle a heavier cutter more safely than someone who has to navigate some steep stuff.

On a purely gut feel basis from feedback here and what I saw when I was buying, the JD "LX" line are fine but nothing truely special - and not a spectacularly great bargain. The heavier MX series, on the other hand - once you compare apples to apples (size/weight/construction/slip clutch & chain guards standard) are actually pretty competitively priced and a very solid cutter. I don't own any Landpride stuff but I thought they had a pretty good rep.

As far as how heavy a cutter you'll need - for maintaining pasture you probably don't need a very heavy duty unit, you'll probably more interested in cutting width to cut down time needed to mow. The JD and Landpride specs are all on line. Check out the exact models you're being quoted on and make note of side skirt and deck thickness, blade size, and hp rating of the gearbox. That will give you a good feel for the relative stoutness of the two cutters.

/ JD 4400 vs Kubota 3450 #12  
Why pay more green for green paint that will will need more green paper soon, stay with the Kubota, for a 16 Acr piece HST really is not needed.