yet more thoughts on a visit to yet another dealer

/ yet more thoughts on a visit to yet another dealer #1  

daTeacha

Veteran Member
When I got home today, the wife wasn't here yet. I decided to burn some fossils and drove over to the Agco dealer. They had 2 ST25s, hydro and gear. Also an ST30x and an ST34A.

The unsuffixed models have been sitting there for a while, showing paint fade and fade on the seat material from the sunlight. I didn't drive them, but they didn't seem real comfortable or inviting to sit on. They also seemed a bit small, just about half again the size of my 'bota. The hydro model had just one brake pedal, located on the right along with the hydro rocker pedal. I asked the guy about turning brakes. He wasn't a salesman, but a parts/service good ol' farm boy. He said using turning brakes with a hydro is not a good practice, being hard on the hydro parts.

The ST30x is a competitor for the NH TC30 and JD 790. It's about 2200 lb. and 30 hp, the size and power I think will work best for my application. There is lots of room in the operator station, no frills, just a straightforward working machine.

The ST34A, at about 2900 lb., was just too big. Interestingly, the ROPS is lower than the JD 3120, closer to the height of the 4110. It's wider, almost the full width of the tractor.

The 25s had the fuel filter hanging low, but not the other ones. I saw no soft or easily hurt things hanging out unprotected, especially on the ST30X. There isn't anything to hurt!

None of these tractors had loaders mounted, so I didn't really get a look at how the hoses and connectors are fitted.

I was hoping to find an ST28A or ST33A. These come with a suspension seat, tilting steering wheel, and other ergonomic goodies that I seem to think I want to keep my back happy in the future. Unfortunately, they had none around.

One thing I noticed was the placement of the rear lights compared to the way Deere does it. Deere lights, both amber and red, are mounted on the outside of the ROPS. They're shielded sort of, but still vulnerable to being bent by a protruding branch or something. On the Agco, the lights are built into the fenders or set low in a protected position.

I think what I need is a JoNh Massey Bota AlphaOmega30M with a fully shuttleable CVT that has tires that switch from R4 to R1 tread patterns as the need arises, a seat that adjusts its springiness to the terrain, and an engine that runs on water so I don't have to keep buying diesel. It would have a wheelbase that adjusts from about 54 inches to about 70, depending on the feedback from the onboard tiltmeter. Ditto the width. In addition, the entire chassis will rotate against the axles to maintain a vertical orientation and greatly reduce the tendency to tip. (There really was a tractor that did that, BTW!) Lights would be mounted on gyroscopically controlled gimbal mounts in protected cages on the ROPS, the loader frame, and the hood. There would be lighting to the sides as well as front and rear, of course, plus a plug-in for a 12v heated body suit to wear while plowing snow -- kind of like electric socks, but taken to the exteme.

For color, it would be an interesting camoflage style mix of green, blue, orange, and red in various subtle tones and shades. For those of a less manly nature, you could get it in plaid! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ yet more thoughts on a visit to yet another dealer #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( He said using turning brakes with a hydro is not a good practice, being hard on the hydro parts. )</font>

I'd have serious doubts about this comment. The individual turning brakes affect the turning of the rear axles and only can be 'hard' on the differential, having nothing to do with the hydrostatic transmission ahead of the diff. If using turning brakes on this tractor is hard on the hydro parts, it is also saying that any load on the hydro parts would be 'not good'. Guess I'd take that comment to mean the hydro in these tractors is no good. (I doubt that tho).

/ yet more thoughts on a visit to yet another dealer #3  
Just an FYI. My Kubota B3030 has the non-folding ROPS (at my request) and it is only 78" high. Have you looked at those? It sounds like it might be just what you are looking for.

/ yet more thoughts on a visit to yet another dealer
Yeah, Kubota's are kind of sentimental favorite and either a B 7800, 2630 or 3030 is still an interesting idea. I find the seats seem to be slanted forward, though, making me feel like I'd slide off without constant pressure from my legs. Still, a guy could get an aftermarket seat for not too much compared to cost of the tractor, so I will definitely be taking a hard look at them again when I have cash in hand and am ready to actually bring a tractor home. I sat on a 2630 a while back and except for the seat found it pretty nice. There was a Case DX26 with loader and hoe on the same lot that really caught my eye on that trip. Maybe it was the backhoe with it's separate seat as opposed to Kubota hoes that use the same seat no matter which way you're facing. I don't know exactly what it was, but the Case seemed more user friendly.

My old 7100 is tough as nails, just too tippy and the operator station is too small and has no spring at all in the seat. But the thing can do and has done an amazing amount of work if you aren't in a hurry with it. I'm more or less convinced that a Kubota is nearly unbreakable. The physical size is a little small on the B's, a little big on the L's, and they're light for their size and power, which has both good and bad points. Still, they are definitely in contention.

/ yet more thoughts on a visit to yet another dealer #5  
The B's are light for their power but that is what I like about my B3030 as about 80% of it's use is mowing. As far as the seat angle, I thought it was a little odd at first but in just a few hours I adjusted to it and now I think it is extremely comfortable. It puts you in the perfect position to operate the controls and for turning around when backing up. That is my .02, anyway. I am sure if you keep looking you will find the perfect tractor for you. Good luck.

/ yet more thoughts on a visit to yet another dealer #6  
There are two different "L" series tractors and they are different in size. The Basic "L" series L2800/3400 & L4400 are smaller in frame size than the Grand L series and a little bigger than the "B" series tractors. Something to consider.

I also don't see what a dual pedal braking on a hydro tractor would hurt since the rear end is open and as we all know the wheel not getting traction is the wheel that turns, so in a turn the power will be shifted to the turning wheel just like in a gear tractor.