My 1st question

/ My 1st question #1  

stumpfield

Gold Member
Tractor
2005 MT265B
Hello All,

This probably a real dumb question. So don't laugh too loud...
Can someone explain the various types of transmission and how it works? Hydrostatic, shifting gizmos like Shuttle and etc. or it's just as simple as a car transmission; auto vs. manual? or something in between?

Thanks for your help.

/ My 1st question #2  
Click on this LINK for Tractorsmart.com, then go to the INFO page...
There is a very good explanation of tranny types.

Please feel free to ask more question if you need to, and

WELCOME TO TBN! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ My 1st question #3  
I can only tell you about the basic gear type. It is, like you say, very much like a manual car transmission. The difference is that in addition to the basic gear shift there is another shifter with hi and low range and reverse. So if the main gear shift has 4 gears the the tractor effectively has 12 speeds, 4 high, 4 low and 4 reverse. The clutch works the same as on a car.

/ My 1st question
That's was great information. Thanks. I have a slightly better understanding now. I have never driven a tractor. But I know I need one soon. I need to understand the basic before start shopping and ask better questions.
Here's another question. Other than the hydrostic and kubota's glide shift, what other transmission gismos DOES NOT have a clutch pedal which you can shift without stepping on the clutch. Another word, automatic clutch like some ATV's. Thanks again for you help.

/ My 1st question #5  
I think in the current Kubota line there are three options, HST, GST (glide shift) and basic gear drive. HST and GST are great and people love them, but they cost more and lower overall horsepower a little bit. Don't be afraid of a tractor clutch. It is very easy and does not require the same finesse as a car or truck. My 14 yo drives my Kubota with no problems and he's never driven a car at all.