On the horns of a dilema

/ On the horns of a dilema #1  

Farmwithjunk

Tractor
Where do I begin.....
I'm not going into the specific "wrong answer to a question" because that would soon become the focal point of the thread.

Here's the problem.

My #1 favorite dealer just hired a new saleman. The older gentleman that I've dealt with for 30+ years just retired. I'm shopping for a new tractor.

I've got a couple different directions I might take with the purchase, depending on a personal decision I'm mulling over (Do I sell my farm to my son, and "retire" to take care of a much smaller piece of land?)

Yesterday, I asked the "new guy" a series of questions pertaining to one tractor I'm considering. Just to get a read on his answers, I asked one question that I already knew the answer to. (And not "THINK I KNOW", but know beyond any shadow of a doubt) He gave me an answer that I'm sure he thought I wanted to hear, but was totally in-accurate.

I no longer trust his answers to the questions on unknown subjects. (His answer wasn't just wrong, it was WAY wrong)

How would you handle this? Do I go to the owner of the dealership? Do I just forget buying from the dealer I've spent thousands with over the years. I've developed a strong relationship with their parts dept, service techs, and the business as a whole. I don't really want to burn bridges.

(Now to complicate the issue, the saleman in question is the owners nephew)

I'm looking at spending from $25,000 to as much as $37,000, depending on which tractor I choose to go with. I'm entitled to straight, correct answers to my questions. (IMHO)

Does one bad apple really spoil the whole bunch?

/ On the horns of a dilema #2  
<font color="blue"> Does one bad apple really spoil the whole bunch? </font>
My answer to that would be no. Every business, company, etc. will have a bad employee(s) from time to time. Usually they don't last very long. Is he the only salesman there? If not, then go to one of the others instead. If he is, then I would go to the owner and explain your situation and concerns. I am sure he would not want to lose you as a customer. You have built good relationships with the other employees and departments. It would be a shame to throw that away because of one employee.

/ On the horns of a dilema #3  
I agree, go to the owner himself and explain his nephew isn't quite "up" on tractor knowledge, I'd even explain the question you asked and the known answer and tell the answer the kid gave.. In a nice way, tell him, the kid needs to learn a lot about tractors, and your first discussion with this kid has placed a lot of doubt in another purchase, especially while you were a dedicated customer. Anyone wanting to stay in business would want to know a problem before it got out of hand..

/ On the horns of a dilema #4  
<font color="blue"> In a nice way, tell him, the kid needs to learn a lot about tractors, and your first discussion with this kid has placed a lot of doubt in another purchase, especially while you were a dedicated customer. </font>

As a dealer, myself, that is exactly what I would want to happen--Ken Sweet

Sweet Farm Equipment LLC *New and Used Tractors in Stock*

/ On the horns of a dilema #5  
I agree with the other respondents. The type of experience the interaction with the owner will be depends, I believe, on your delivery. If you're respectful, I think you'll be treated with respect. Everybody has to start somewhere, so the nephew is new and without the owner's many years of experience. This can be a learning opportunity for him as well. Good luck.

/ On the horns of a dilema #6  
Agree you should talk with the owner, assuming you know each other at least by more than a customer number. Respectful, straightforward, and exactly why you are hestitant to buy from the kid.

If he's a smart bizman, he will work it out to keep you as a customer. If he turns on you, you want your biz elsewhere anyway.....................

Let us know how it turns out. Everyone misunderstands a question now and then, or says something they shouldn't, but the true test is how they respond when challenged.
Ron

/ On the horns of a dilema #7  
I would go back to the salesman that gave you the wrong answer and question why he said what he said. Tell him your view and that way you both understand each other. You train him and you just never know, he may teach you something too. You two just may develope a great relationship out of all of this.

We all started someplace and we all learned from others.

murph

/ On the horns of a dilema #8  
Anyone remember this line from this movie?
How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying (1967)
Gertrude Biggley: What's nepotism?
J. B. Biggley: That's when your nephew's a da** poop!

Talk to the owner. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ On the horns of a dilema
Long before I posted this, I had already made up my mind on what action I was taking. I suppose I was searching for validation on my choice. I got it.

The "kid" was schooled by the brand he sells. He knew the answer to my question. He gave me something other than the "official party line". He was trying to tell me what (he thought) I wanted to hear. That's not the same as not knowing the correct answer. I've got another word for what he did. It's a bit harsher than "I don't know".

I'm going to talk with the dealer. In fact, I've already spoke with him by phone. On the trip home today, I'll swing by and have a face to face.

Fortunately for them, I'm not a vengeful person. I'm not going to give my blind faith to the young salesmanm but I'll give him another chance.

/ On the horns of a dilema #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I would go back to the salesman that gave you the wrong answer and question why he said what he said....You train him and you just never know)</font>

I think this is a very good answer by Murph.
Give the kid the benefit to learn from his mistakes before going to his Uncle. If you can help "teach" him, you will be doing him a big favor. You can always go to the owner if you get resistance from him and then you can tell the owner you tried to help the salesman. Now, the owner will have more information on the character of his Nephew rather than just a complaint.