small tractor backhoes

/ small tractor backhoes #21  
Rob, I was thinking of you, me, and all other weekend warriors with the convenience issue. An owned BH would always available for a 5 minute job without rental fees, transport, and scheduling around the weather.

/ small tractor backhoes #22  
my belief of added weight for loader work is to add only enough for counter balance, that is all. My rears are loaded so if I know I'm doing only FEL work I take off the backhoe..............why? The machine does not need the strain of an additional 900lbs. No machine does. Sometimes the BH attached is better for traction and not so much for counter balance. As we use these machines we get a feel for what works and what doesn't. I know when to take off the BH and when to leave it on

/ small tractor backhoes #23  
[color:bluI thought about renting a backhoe and have had and excavator come do work on my property. But as you said, the convenience is overwhelming. My property is located so that it is not easy to get to. Add to that the fact I'm only there on weekends and arranging an excavator or renting becomes a logistic nightmare (for me).
e] </font> I find it quite costly to get rented Machinery delivered to the House 2 years ago it was costing $175 just for delivery and pick up plus the rental cost of the unit. I figure a backhoe whenever I need it. And the abilty to take my time and do it right at my conveniece. Plus I figure if backhoe is taken care of it should last quite awhile. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ small tractor backhoes #24  
MMiller,
Looks like you and me and Highbeam are on the same page. I agree with what you and he have pointed out. Like Highbeam mentioned, the multitude of 5 minute jobs for the back are ubiquitous. I've used mine for everything these last couple of months. At least everytime I think I'm done with it, that is.

As far as getting a rental, I have no trailer so I'd have to get it delivered. The contractor who pioneered my road charges his least price for a CAT 450 backhoe...$87.50/hr. Plus driving to and from my property (1hour also @ $87.50) That is the cheapest rate he has. But it is not available at the drop of a hat. (His Dozer is $180.00/hr.) At that backhoe rate, I've paid for over 1/2 of mine already and will probably have 100 hrs on it come Summer meaing I'll have more than paid for it by then. I know he works faster and more efficiently than I do, but for the 5 minute job the travel cost would kill me or I'd just never do them.

/ small tractor backhoes #25  
I'd always put in a vote for buying a backhoe - I really can't see how anyone could survive without one. It's one of those implements that you'll find new uses for every day - from the usual things like digging to the more interesting things like craning equipment around or moving boulders. I even used mine to 'dislodge' a big fallen tree that got snagged on another tree and was blocking my road (I didn't want to start cutting it while it was still at a 45 degree angle to the ground - bad things have happened in the past when I did dumb things like that...). That tree ended up moving my whole rig about four feet when it 'dislodged', but that's a whole different story....

/ small tractor backhoes #26  
I was at a Woods dealer meeting yesterday and got to see the backhoes great machines plus the new models will have a 2 year warranty. As you know pricing varies in different area of the country.
List price on the BH80-X with a 12 & 24" bucket an 4 point mounting for a TC40 is $10,105.00.
Retail pricing in my area with installation included would be in the $6,800.00 to $7000.00 range.

/ small tractor backhoes #27  
I was told that there are 2 different subframe mounts 1 is a 4 point like you stated and the other is a under mount. Which type is recomended and how hard are they to remove?

/ small tractor backhoes #28  
I agree with everyone who has noted how many jobs pop up that are best done with the BH. When I first got my TLB plus brush mower I assumed I would have the brush mower mounted most of the time. Wrong. I put it on when I need to mow then put the BH back on. 90% of the tractor hours include the BH in place.

/ small tractor backhoes #29  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I was told that there are 2 different subframe mounts 1 is a 4 point like you stated and the other is a under mount. Which type is recomended and how hard are they to remove? )</font>

Botaman my experience is with the sub-frame mounted BH. They come off the tractor very easily. Putting the BH back on takes a little getting used to but the more it's done the quicker you'll get. My average time is 20-30 minutes.

/ small tractor backhoes #30  
IMO I like the newer 4 point version, better clearance and all connections can be made from back of tractor. Some of the 1 point as you call it had a bracket that had to be removed or installed when mounting or removing the hoe.
Once the mountings are installed our shop guys can remove and reinstall a 4 point hoe in less than 5 minutes, but conditions are perfect, would not think this would happen as smoothly out on the job site. then you would have some extra time reinstalling the lift arms,