another newby looking for buying advise

/ another newby looking for buying advise #1  

fazerman

I am looking for a tractor to maintain my gravel driveway, do some landscape projects like dig a pond, build some dirt burms, move some rock, etc. I have 20 acres of mostly flat land and it is mostly covered with sagebrush and native grass. I am planning to remove most of the sage and plant more native grasses. I need to stay around $6000 or less. What implements do I need other than FEL? I am located in Idaho and I'm having a difficult time locating "good" used tractors at a reasonable price (found an old Ford 600 with some home made FEL and not in great shape for $4800 is that typical?). Thanks in advance for any advise....

/ another newby looking for buying advise #2  
Hey Fazerman:

That seems way too high for an old 600. I wouldn't give more than about $3K to $3.5K on that old of a tractor and then that would depend on its condition. If its not in great shape, I'd walk away.

But...that's just me.

You may need a boxblade, brush cutter, etc.

Here in Louisiana, our Department of Agriculture publishes a newsletter twice a month called the Market Bulletin. They are classified ads for livestock, farm equipment, etc. from farmers for farmers. Check for used tractors in similiar publications.

Hope this helps.

BC

/ another newby looking for buying advise #3  
Good, used, front end loader (FEL), under $6000.00 are not words/phrases you will see put together very often. Finding a good used tractor under $6000.00 will be a chore, much less with a FEL. The only thing you are going to find under 6K that is in "good" condition is something that is already about 20-30 years old.

Think you might want to expand your price range a little and consider something new that you can finance...just my thoughts on the matter.

/ another newby looking for buying advise #4  
The cheapest new sub-CUT with FEL is probably Northern Tool's 20HP NorTrac at $8570 (with free shipping).

NorTrac

The NorTrac is a Chinese Jinma. If you're interested check out the Jinma forum on TBN.

My guess is that you'll go through a simlar experience I had last Spring when I bought 10 acres of the same kind of land as you describe. I was ready to pull the trigger on a Yanmar 1700 (19HP) with a Koyker FEL for about $7500, IIRC. What I would have bought is a new FEL on a 20-year-old tractor.

After a lot of looking around at pre-owned stuff available locally, I decided to bite the bullet and finance a 21HP Kubota B7510HST with the LA302 FEL. My rationale is that I want to log seat time on a reliable tractor, not become a diesel repairman. And at that time Kubota was offering 10% down, 0% financing for 36months. I figure that I can get most of the money back when I trade the Bota in a few years for a larger tractor. At 21HP the B7510HST is just barely powerful enough for 10 acres.

/ another newby looking for buying advise #5  
Sometimes for the headaches and ease of use, new is better, you will find more time using the tractor and less repairing. Of course you will have to spend more up front. JMO

A brush hog, box blade and or blade sound like they would be useful attachments for you, and of course the FEL is indespensible.

/ another newby looking for buying advise #6  
Fazerman, Welcome to TBN.

Not to discourage you but, it is tough to find something to dig a pond for $6,000. Tractor's, though I have known people to do it, are not well suited for "real" pond digging. You might make a nice big mud hole with one.

Your best bet might be to start looking for an old used dozer - build your pond - then sell it and get a used Compact.

If financing is an option for you, the guys above are correct that you could probably finance something and keep your payment in the $200 range.

Good luck with your search. You may find what your looking for. Search this sites classifieds, then try equipmenttraderonline.com

/ another newby looking for buying advise #7  
JD has a good equipment site - Machinefinder.com that lists other brands of used tractors, attachments that is a good resource, too. I concur with the other sentiments, however.... you're not gonna find much for $6K. And you're likely to spend alot more time and money training yourself to be a good mechanic than working that tractor! Twenty acres and you want to clear the sage and replant.... and a pond?! Should shoot for a tractor in the 35-45hp range --- AFTER --- you rent a dozer to rip up the sage brush and dig the pond. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif My 3 cents. AKfish

/ another newby looking for buying advise #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( like dig a pond, build some dirt burms, move some rock, etc. I have 20 acres )</font>

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I need to stay around $6000 or less )</font>

20ac is a decent chunk of land. I'd reccomend a minmum of 30 hp for that.. if not 45. 6g's won't buy you anything new in that range ( close.. if you go chinese.. ).. In any case.. the 600? That's a series number.. I'd have to know the model number to give you specific advice on the unit.. However.. I picked up a nicely maintained, fully working, ( many new parts ) ford 660.. The 660 is arguably the most desireable in the 600 series.. It has live pto via 2 stage clutch, and a 5spd stacked tranny. I really don't prefer the 5spd.. I loved the 4spd.. however to get live pto.. ya gotta have 5spd.. and the 5spd functions like a shuttle, with 3rd and rev across from each other ont he top tier of the shift pattern. It had a ford fully hyd 722 1-arm loader installe don it. He was asking 3900$ I got it for 3500$.. I consider it a good deal. It has obsoleted my 8n, 2n, and NAA tractor....

Soundguy

/ another newby looking for buying advise #9  
Nothing wrong with wanting to keep things affordable, you just have to be willing to 'give' on something. So either you go with an antique like the one you found, or a grey market japenese diesel with loader which will be significantly smaller, but perhaps a touch handier for small landscaping jobs. Antique tractors were often not designed for loaders, so they usually lack power steering and the gearing required for landscaping work. I know the lowest speed on my Ford 9n was close to the middle speed range on my current japanese compact...so I always felt like I was going to fast on the ford, which made it feel clumsy working in tight quarters or doing a lot of back and forth. i suspect the Ford 600 you mention will be similar in this regard....perhaps it has power steering.

anyhow, last option would be a new chinese tractor, a bit more than 6k with a loader, but new with all that entails....

I like antiques, so I would keep looking for a clean Ford 2, 3, or 4 thousand with a loader even if the budget slipped north a bit....that would leave you a big rugged machine for many of the other duties you mention.

/ another newby looking for buying advise
Thank you everyone for your advise. I think I'm going to have to save up some more $$$ and get the right tractor for the job. By the way, the "Pond" is more of a puddle, I'm sure any of these FELs would dig it out.....24" deep and 20' X 30' oval. Again, thanks for the advice, I'm checking out the websites listed and I think I'll just avoid the chinese rigs for now.

Steve