sub compacts

/ sub compacts #1  

fish_wisperer

Banned
Tractor
mahindra 4500 2wd
im having a hard time swallowing the price of these tiny tractors, at 1300 lbs i dont see how they should cost so much. you can get a full size ag tractor for about the same price, with 4 or 5 times the steel and shipping wieght. why is this? also does anyone know a good website for shopping for a used subcompact?

/ sub compacts #2  
Its the law of supply and demand. There are many more homeowners with small plots of land that only need and want something one step up from a lawn tractor than there are small farmers looking for utility tractors.

/ sub compacts #3  
Yep, they are expensive. But they also can do work on small parcels with ease!

I have owned three tractors (old ag ones) from 15 - 50HP. All three together didn't cost what I paid for a Bota BX. I think for their size, they will accomplish a lot of work.

If you've got the room, stick with a utility tractor and save the $$$. If space is a concern, and operator comfort is important, bite the bullet and go compact.

I know I can put my tiller on the BX, churn up a perfect garden spot, and do it faster and easier than with old ag tractors and ag implements.

Have fun, either way.

Ron

/ sub compacts #4  
Good point........think how much ($ profit) is made on them. Those 10,000 lb. cab AG tractors are a bargain!

/ sub compacts #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( im having a hard time swallowing the price of these tiny tractors, at 1300 lbs i dont see how they should cost so much. you can get a full size ag tractor for about the same price, with 4 or 5 times the steel and shipping wieght. why is this? also does anyone know a good website for shopping for a used subcompact? )</font>

If you had ever owned one you wouldn't ask this question. They are worth the money. Big tractors are too much for most people. Bigger is not better for all applications. Bigger tractors are heavier (tear up the yard more harder to transport), higher maintenance in some cases, harder for wife and kids to operate etc.

It depends on the amount of land if bigger is better 10 plus acres go bigger. IMO

/ sub compacts #6  
What are you shopping and what do you consider a high price?

/ sub compacts #7  
the brand names that r so called tractors r really a garden tractor. there r sub compact tractors that r a good step up from the brand name sub compact and cost about the same.
if u r looking for a loader 2 lift just a bale of hey then u should look at the brand name sub's, but if u r looking for a sub with the same horse power and more bang for your buck do your research. if u find a good dealer that will service u and get u parts that is the most important thing. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ sub compacts #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( if (yo)u (ar)r looking for a loader (to)2 lift just a bale of hey then (yo)u should look at the brand name sub's)</font>

That would be the 750 pound bales, of course.

Cliff

/ sub compacts #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If you had ever owned one you wouldn't ask this question. They are worth the money. Big tractors are too much for most people. Bigger is not better for all applications. Bigger tractors are heavier (tear up the yard more harder to transport), higher maintenance in some cases, harder for wife and kids to operate etc.

It depends on the amount of land if bigger is better 10 plus acres go bigger. IMO)</font>

I agree with all this, except possibly the last sentence. I think it all depends on how many acres you're actually working and what it is you're doing.

/ sub compacts #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( im having a hard time swallowing the price of these tiny tractors, at 1300 lbs i dont see how they should cost so much. you can get a full size ag tractor for about the same price, with 4 or 5 times the steel and shipping wieght. why is this? also does anyone know a good website for shopping for a used subcompact? )</font> <font color="red"> </font>

Just remember one thing..."You get what you pay for."
So, roll the dice.....