Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Tractor
    mahindra 4500 2wd

Default sub compacts

im having a hard time swallowing the price of these tiny tractors, at 1300 lbs i dont see how they should cost so much. you can get a full size ag tractor for about the same price, with 4 or 5 times the steel and shipping wieght. why is this? also does anyone know a good website for shopping for a used subcompact?

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Case-IH DX35

Default Re: sub compacts

Its the law of supply and demand. There are many more homeowners with small plots of land that only need and want something one step up from a lawn tractor than there are small farmers looking for utility tractors.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2003 BX2200

Yep, they are expensive. But they also can do work on small parcels with ease!

I have owned three tractors (old ag ones) from 15 - 50HP. All three together didn't cost what I paid for a Bota BX. I think for their size, they will accomplish a lot of work.

If you've got the room, stick with a utility tractor and save the $$$. If space is a concern, and operator comfort is important, bite the bullet and go compact.

I know I can put my tiller on the BX, churn up a perfect garden spot, and do it faster and easier than with old ag tractors and ag implements.

Have fun, either way.

Ron

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Belarus 572, Farm Pro 8240

Good point........think how much ($ profit) is made on them. Those 10,000 lb. cab AG tractors are a bargain!

Tractor
    Kubota G1900

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( im having a hard time swallowing the price of these tiny tractors, at 1300 lbs i dont see how they should cost so much. you can get a full size ag tractor for about the same price, with 4 or 5 times the steel and shipping wieght. why is this? also does anyone know a good website for shopping for a used subcompact? )</font>

If you had ever owned one you wouldn't ask this question. They are worth the money. Big tractors are too much for most people. Bigger is not better for all applications. Bigger tractors are heavier (tear up the yard more harder to transport), higher maintenance in some cases, harder for wife and kids to operate etc.

It depends on the amount of land if bigger is better 10 plus acres go bigger. IMO

Silver Member

What are you shopping and what do you consider a high price?

Silver Member

the brand names that r so called tractors r really a garden tractor. there r sub compact tractors that r a good step up from the brand name sub compact and cost about the same.
    if u r looking for a loader 2 lift just a bale of hey then u should look at the brand name sub's, but if u r looking for a sub with the same horse power and more bang for your buck do your research. if u find a good dealer that will service u and get u parts that is the most important thing. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Tractor
    JD 4110

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( if (yo)u (ar)r looking for a loader (to)2 lift just a bale of hey then (yo)u should look at the brand name sub's)</font>

That would be the 750 pound bales, of course.

Cliff

Gold Member
    Tractor
    MF GC2300

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If you had ever owned one you wouldn't ask this question. They are worth the money. Big tractors are too much for most people. Bigger is not better for all applications. Bigger tractors are heavier (tear up the yard more harder to transport), higher maintenance in some cases, harder for wife and kids to operate etc.

It depends on the amount of land if bigger is better 10 plus acres go bigger. IMO)</font>

I agree with all this, except possibly the last sentence. I think it all depends on how many acres you're actually working and what it is you're doing.

Tractor
    2005 MF GC2300

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( im having a hard time swallowing the price of these tiny tractors, at 1300 lbs i dont see how they should cost so much. you can get a full size ag tractor for about the same price, with 4 or 5 times the steel and shipping wieght. why is this? also does anyone know a good website for shopping for a used subcompact? )</font> <font color="red"> </font>

Just remember one thing..."You get what you pay for."
    So, roll the dice.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast