What do you think fits my needs?

/ What do you think fits my needs?
I would love a brand spankin new tractor with a FEL among other things. Given my budget, I suspect used is where I’m headed. I am a fan of a hydro-transmissions and my gut feeling is to steer clear of the sub-cuts and look for a small–medium frame cut.

Thanks for the advice and the links.

My gut tells me that the BX series would be a bit undersized. There are a few in the B series that seem like they would be a good fit though. A new machine would be nice, but I suspect used is more likely on my horizon.

Thanks for the advice and the links.

I guess my objective is to try and spend 10-$12,000 for a tractor that can comfortably perform the jobs I have planned for it with as many, if any, attachments/implements as possible. My 318 could be equipped to, and tackle all my requirements, but IMO, would be undersized.

I’m not in a major rush to buy and haven’t visited any dealers yet. I’m just trying to become an educated consumer and learn from the “real world” experiences of the members.

Thanks for the welcome and advice.

As far as the woods go, the most I see myself is trying to do (at the moment) is carve out and maintain an occasional trail, drag out a couple of logs, move a few stones nothing really major. I also think the R4’s would be a good tire choice. I’m also just a bit leery of a sub-cut being a bit too small.

/ What do you think fits my needs? #15  
Seems to me people put a lot of emphasis on land size for tractor selection, personally I don't think this is the main factor, I don't have a ton of acres, but I bought a bigger tractor because of the jobs I have to do. I haven't regretted it yet, other than the cost... I have a lot of hills and ravines, so I wanted a wider more stable framed tractor. I would think alot about the jobs you want to accomplish, and how quick. R4's seem like a good choice if you don't need as much traction, as for me traction was very important so the R1's made sense. And just remember its only money... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ What do you think fits my needs? #16  
You should be able to get a JD 4010 with FEL for a little more than $12k. A BX will be a little less, but they'll seem more like toys compared to the 4010. The 4010 will lift a 1/2 yard of gravel (1,000#) in its 410 loader. Doubt the BX models will come close to this.

Can't see any homeowner buying a small tractor without HST. Think you'll not do without HST only if you need maximum PTO or drawbar hp, like for pulling a plow or running a rototiller really deep or blowing very heavy snow. You can always slow down and do it with less.

Ralph

The mightiest huh. I imagine that would be trying to pull a stump, or doing some sort of excavating, and oh yea, I almost forgot, eventually trying to move a rock the size of a Buick.

Mowing and snow removal would be the most common tasks by far, followed in no special order by spreading and grading dirt/stone, log dragging, trail clearing, turning over the garden and anything else I can manage to use it for.

Thanks for the input!

My initial thoughts were for something in the 24-32 hp range.

Once I narrow down my choices to 2 or 3 machines, renting them sounds like it might be a good idea. Thanks, I’ll keep it in mind.

Sounds like you’ve got a very nice set-up there. There are several B series tractors that I think might be a good fit. New is definitely nice, and may be the way I ultimately go, I’m just not that far down the road yet.

I must admit, out of all the things I have ever thought about possibly doing with a loader, that wasn’t one of them. Very creative!

Sound advice. My property has a few hills and ravines, but nothing excessive. A stable machine is always a good thing.