What do you think fits my needs?

/ What do you think fits my needs? #31  
i don't think all of the advice given was good. the tractors given by name & model would not be a good choice for the cost. there r many good tractors out there. for a little more money can (lift & breakout force) all most twice as much as the 1's mentioned. so u should check out the spec's of the tractor. the 1's mentioned r really a glorified garden tractor. and all brands have that type of model, just make sure that is what u want and u r not undersized.

/ What do you think fits my needs? #32  
One thing you'll find a lot of here is free advice, most of it good. The next most common thing is opinions, few of which are exactly the same. Everyone has preferences for this reason or that one.

Speaking as a guy with a few tractors behind or beneath me who has been trying to narrow down a choice for quite a while now, I encourage you to take your time, try a lot of things on for size (literally), drive as many as you can, try the pedals and hand controls for ease of operation, and think if you and the tractor will still fit each other in 5, 10, or 20 years. If you buy a new one, it can easily last that long with good care. I have two that are in the 30 year old range, one a mower and the other a tractor.

Tires and transmissions are a big source of discussion here, with good reasoning and strong opinions on all sides.

Using tires as an example, I finally decided that I need ag tires because I use the tractor in the woods and barnyard and for driveway maintainance, but don't mow with it. Traction is at a premium, especially this time of year.

You might want to keep your JDs, at least one of them, as a dedicated mower and get a CUT for other work. Either R4s, which look tough and macho, or R1s, which don't look so tough but offer better traction, will be much harder on your lawn than turf tires on a smaller mowing tractor. It depends on how manicured you want the lawn to be. If mine is more or less green and short enough to not hide a small dog, it's fine. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Other guys want a putting green for a front yard.

The best advice I can offer is to spend a lot time reading here and thinking about how you'll use the tractor. Personally, I'd check with anyone you see using a tractor in their yard and ask about how they like it, what they do with it, how they like the dealer, etc. As has been said, the name brands are going to cost more, but have a better track record in general. There are examples of the off-brand machines doing exceptional work, but most here tend toward the higher recognition, higher price, somewhat more feature laden hardware.

For most of us, these are tools that serve as big toys, or toys that are justified by being used as tools. Just like hammers, you can buy a cheaper one (cast iron head and wooden handle) or a very expensive one (ergonomically designed head machined from unobtainium alloy integrally fused to a guaranteed forever shock absorbing polymer handle). They'll both drive a nail equally well, so it's up to you to decide which one you want. Or just get a bunch of power nailers instead! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Incidentally, not too long ago I saw a hammer in a catalog for $239.00! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Oh yeah, the other thing the guys here are good at is vicariously shopping for tractors. We love to help you spend your money, the more the better.

/ What do you think fits my needs?
Over the years I’ve learned to try and use the right tool for the job… as much as possible. I’m well aware there is more to a tractor than just hp. Heck, I’m plowing snow with an 8hp JD110 Garden tractor. It’s managing to get the job done, but it’s clearly undersized.

I couldn’t agree more, all things being equal, the deciding factor would be the dealer.

Thanks

New is always nice, but a well cared for used machine doesn’t worry me much.

Thanks for the input.

I tend to look at all the advice as valuable, some just more applicable to my situation. It all stems from the experiences well meaning people have had with their machines.

I suspect this will be the last tractor I buy, and have no doubts about a tractors ability to last for 30 years or more with proper maintenance. Heck, I’ve had the 110 about 31 years now, all without a single trip to the dealer, and still runs like a champ.

As far as keeping my JD’s, I’ve already given some thought to keeping the 318, and most likely will (if possible). It’s in nice condition with about 575 hours.

A $239.00 hammer huh, well I guess that might be for the person driving around in the $500,000 plus Ferrari Enzo.

Thanks for all the advice.

/ What do you think fits my needs? #38  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( Thanks for the compliment and the info. I’ll give your B7800 some consideration. Why a Mahindra? )</font>

Why a Mahindra? Because for the money I don't think there is a better tractor made. I was about to buy one myself when I found a good deal on my Kubota here locally. I don't have any Mahindra dealers close either.

If your familiar with the Deming prize for quality, Mahindra is the only tractor Manufacture ever to win this prize. They have a 98% satisfaction among buyers. They are a great little tractor. Go to the Mahindra forum on this site and ask those guys if they would buy again.

The only thing that Kubota has on the Mahindra, IMO, is the Kubota diesel. I personally don't think there is a better diesel engine than the one Kubota makes. My opinion.

In your price range, you will get more tractor if you buy a Mahindra than if you buy a well known brand of tractor. The only downfall with Mahindra is resale value. Since they are not well known in the states, you would have more trouble selling than you would a Kubota or JD. So only buy one if your certain you want to keep for a long while.

/ What do you think fits my needs? #39  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( i don't think all of the advice given was good. the tractors given by name & model would not be a good choice for the cost. there r many good tractors out there. for a little more money can (lift & breakout force) all most twice as much as the 1's mentioned. so u should check out the spec's of the tractor. the 1's mentioned r really a glorified garden tractor. and all brands have that type of model, just make sure that is what u want and u r not undersized.

)</font>

Linpat,
For you to make a comment like that I'm thinking maybe you have never owned a CUT like some of the ones mentioned above. I've owned both heavy garden tractors and a CUT and I can tell you that the difference is astounding. My B7800 is the most amazing piece of machinery I have ever owned. It has done things that a garden tractor could not even think of doing. Most of the guys on this site will tell you the same about their CUTs. If your talking about the Kubota BX then maybe it is a little light. But as long as he stays in the B series Kubota he will be fine.

/ What do you think fits my needs? #40  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( i don't think all of the advice given was good. the tractors given by name & model would not be a good choice for the cost. there r many good tractors out there. for a little more money can (lift & breakout force) all most twice as much as the 1's mentioned. so u should check out the spec's of the tractor. the 1's mentioned r really a glorified garden tractor. and all brands have that type of model, just make sure that is what u want and u r not undersized.

)</font>
Linpat,
I cant see how you can make a statement like that!!! My MF 1040 weighs in at a hefty 3800 lbs without the loader. Loader goes another 1200lbs bringing the total up to 5000 lbs without any implement. That 32hp diesel could pull a house down. I own a 1982 12 hp Wheelhorse C-125 garden tractor, and if I hooked a half dozen of those garden tractors to the drawbar that Massey would pull them all over my property!!! I think you need to reavaluate that statement.

scotty