What do you think fits my needs?

/ What do you think fits my needs? #1  

mousedoc

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD110, 318 and 955
Hello all,

I'm new here so first let me say, great site! Glad I found it!

I was wondering if someone here might point me in the right direction on what tractors/ attachments/ implements I should consider, given my situation and anticipated requirements.

I recently moved to upstate NY on 10 acres, 1.5 acres of lawn, with the remainder wooded. My driveway is gravel, about 250 feet long at a grade of about 5% +/-. I would describe the land as gently rolling overall.

I see my primary tasks as mowing, snow removal, driveway maintenance, moderate landscaping and dragging an occasional log or two. I currently use a JD 110 garden tractor for snow removal (‘cause I have the front blade for it) and a 318 for mowing (50” deck).

Down the road (1-3 years)… I would like to clear another 1/2 acre or so (most likely I will bring in a dozer for this). Once this is done, I plan to add some lawn, establish vegetable and flower gardens, and possibly build a small barn. This will also add about 200’ of driveway to the barn, 450’ total.

I am looking to try and keep the cost in the 10-12k range (if possible). The closest dealers I’m aware of are JD 4 miles, Kubota 7, NH 12, Kioti 35, and Massey is 41.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

/ What do you think fits my needs? #2  
Welcome aboard mousedoc. The vast majority of guys here are much more well versed at compact utility tractors (CUTs) and subcompacts than I am. I'm more into the 50hp+ Utility tractors. From what you are saying in the post, looks like a compact would fit your budget and the job (Like a Kubota L3400). But again, I'm no pro. The guys should be able to give you lots of advice and point you in the right direction.

Good luck with your search.

BC

/ What do you think fits my needs? #3  
Most of us (nearly all of us, I think) have found that a front end loader is the most used implement or attachment on our tractors. So it's going to be a bit hard to find a new tractor with a front end loader in your price range, especially if you are going to get any additional implements. Personally, I never had any need for snow removal equipment, and snow blowers aren't cheap, but some use a box blade, the front end loader, a straight blade on either the front or the rear 3-point. Some prefer mid-mount (belly) mowers, while some, such as myself, preferred the rear 3-point mower. For a garden, a tiller is hard to beat, but again, pretty expensive. Many of us prefer hydrostatic transmissions, however, manual transmissions will certainly do the job. I'd just suggest that you visit the dealers you mentioned, look at some of the different models, try driving them, if possible, and see which one you like best and which dealer you like best. The sub-compacts, like the Kubota BX series, might do the job for you, but personally, I'd be looking for something a little larger; maybe the 20 to 30hp range. And while most of us have our brand preferences, I doubt that you'd go wrong with any of the brands you mentioned.

/ What do you think fits my needs? #4  
You might be able to get something like a Kubota B or BX subcompact for that amount that would suit your needs. There were some advertisements on various tractor sites for a bX2230 plus FEL plus mmm for under $12,000 and even a B7410 for $6500. A BX 1830 with mower, FEL and front blade might within your price range. For example, see www.wowco.com/specials.html or www.carverequipment.com/kubota.htm

Good luck.
Steve B

/ What do you think fits my needs? #5  
It all depends on how much hp and how many convienences you want for price. A L3400 is a nice basic model, that is reasonable, good power and will do a ton of work, but with a FEL I think you will be more than your 12K mark. You can stay in the smaller frames and be less money, but lower lifting power and Hp? I would go look at all of them, have the dealer explain all the options, sizes, hps ect. Physical size is not an indicator of the Hp of the tractor. I would try after looking at all of them, to narrow it to about 2 brands and then do further research, and determinatiion as to what fits you best. I would then narrow to one model of each brand and try them out at your place. A good dealer should be willing to let you do this and it will give you a head to head eval as to what works best for you.... Hope this help. Keep us posted, and welcome to the site.

/ What do you think fits my needs? #6  
I wouldn't go below 30HP for 10 acres unless you don't plan on doing much with the wooded part. Front loader can be added to about any compact tractor for about 2,500 - 3,000. Year is not important but hours are. Get R-4 tires since you will be doing snow and mowing. You may eve get away with a Sub compact since your only mowing 1.5 acres. You'll just give up a lot of lifting capacity.

/ What do you think fits my needs? #7  
Hi mousedoc,
Yeah, good advice so far, huh? These guys are good!

My input:
I'd say add to that list of things you will be using the tractor for and try to identify the mightiest?..most mighty...most...whatever... task that you will need to accomplish. That will set you in the power/hp range to look for.
Next would be to identify which of those tasks you will be doing most frequently and that will guide you towards the implements you need most.
Then try to figure out how comfortable you want to be while doing all that stuff so you can evaluate the added features.

Last, there are other brands, less popular, that advertise pretty darn good prices and package deals to get you a whole lot of goodies with a new tractor. You'd be amazed what you can get in that price range of yours!

Look on the internet what's avilable and read the ads to learn as much about the tractor (and the others) you are eyeballing. You can make feature and $$ comparisons without hurting anybody's feelings or wasting a lot of valuable time driving around. Once you've narrowed it down, get in the truck and visit your local dealers to see how they match up.

I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun shopping that way.
Regards,

/ What do you think fits my needs? #8  
hi mousedoc
i would agree it sounds like u need something bigger that a sub-compact. i would say at least a 30 hp or a little more. i looked at a sub-compact, and when u saw the break out force, lift capacity plus the weight of sub-compact u will see they have there needs but 10 acres
u would need a step up. maybe u should check with your local rental store and rent 1 see how u like it. or the dealers u mention may rent. just and idea, i do owen a rental store but some people do try that route first.

charlie

/ What do you think fits my needs? #9  
I have 10 acres, flat, grass, 3/4 lawn, 30 almond trees, 260 feet of gravel driveway. Last May I bought a 21 HP Kubota B7510HST with LA302 FEL and ag tires for $12,600 plus tax ($10,000 for the tractor, $2600 for the FEL). Deal was 10% down, 0% APR for 36 months. Don't know what kind of financing incentives Kubota is offering now, but that's easy to find out.

I added a King Kutter (KK) 48" brush hog rotary mower ($675 at Tractor Supply Co. (TSC)), a 48" KK box blade $375 at TSC, a KK middle buster (potato plow)/subsoiler from TSC for $135, a used Yanmar RS1200 rototiller ($300 from my local grey market tractor guy) and a Markham toothbar for the FEL ($173 + $50 UPS from North Carolina to No. CA).

If you're serious about your tractorin', you'll probably go a similar route buying a top of the line new tractor (under warranty, no major and unforseen maintenance headaches, lotsa resale value) and then adding a bunch of implements. My setup appears to be within your $$ pain threshold.

I'm building a couple of salt box sheds on my parcel. Here's one of the things you can do with an FEL with chain hooks (installed gratis by my Bota dealer), see attachment.

Attachments

• 803401-DSCF0045-potting shed frame-Kubota-14dec05.JPG
    803401-DSCF0045-potting shed frame-Kubota-14dec05.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 192
   / What do you think fits my needs?
Thanks for the welcome and the advice.