Thinking of an Old Massey Tractor Purchase

/ Thinking of an Old Massey Tractor Purchase #1  

Tony_S

Silver Member
Hello!
This is my first post. I have read these posts here 'til my eyes bled! What a fantastic resource of info....due to the posters (you!).
I own 20 acres of mountain property in VA and just had 80k board feet of lumber harvested from it. Mostly poplar, a few oak, cherry and pine, etc. Needless to say, it's a mess now.
Worst of all, I had alot of these trees near the house cut which makes it even more of a glaring eyesore.

Anyway, I need a tractor! My 'lil ole' Gravely's aren't quite up to this task. Chores to be done are quite heavy for the next while....piling brush, hauling tops, firewood, grading, road maint, etc.

After the worst is cleaned up, I may no longer want/need such a large tractor and will hopefully trade for a New Millenium Yuppie Mower (CUT) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Moving on... a local Massey dealer has an old 135 for sale on consignment. Serial # 9A-46757, power steering, Multipower, 4 cyl. Continental engine,3100 hours and what appears to be a VERY nice, newer 232 Massey loader with quick attach. See attachment.
The tractor is not pretty but doesnt appear abused. Assumptions are that it has not worn a loader until the last owner had this 232 installed. He used it on his hunting land in WVa and now his health is failing.

Salesman says no less than 7k, with it tagged at 7,400.

I'll stop there....this is turning into a novel.
Go ahead...give it to me straight.

Thanks for all replies!

Tony

on edit: I think I posted this to the wrong forum! My apologies. Dang Newbies /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Attachments

• 805321-MF135-011.jpg
    805321-MF135-011.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 488
   / Thinking of an Old Massey Tractor Purchase #2  
If I'm following the numbers correctly, that would be a 1968 model 135. I have a '74 150. They are essentially the same tractor. The 150 has a "row crop" front axle, bigger fuel tank (and different hood/sheet metal to accomodate that fuel tank)

I've said it many a time, and don't get a lot of contradictory comments, so I'm assuming a goodly number of people agree with me on this. The 135 and 150 Massey was (is?) the best small tractor ever made. (at least in it's day)

Mine is a Perkins diesel. Some later model gassers came with Perkins 3 cylinder gas engines too. The early Continentals were good tractors. Some people will tell you that parts are hard to come by. I haven't found that to be true at all. I recently helped a neighbor overhaul a Continental gas powered 150 (1966 model) We got an aftermarket kit that included EVERYTHING. (Through Tisco)

If the loader has been on that tractor long, check front end pivot and steering for excessive wear. Make sure the clutch pedal has at least 1" of free travel, or you might find yourself installing a clutch soon. (Loaders are notoriously rough on clutches on small tractors)

If you buy it, and don't want to keep that loader, I'll be more than happy to take it off your hands!

/ Thinking of an Old Massey Tractor Purchase #3  
Hi Tony,
Welcome to TBN. I think Farmwithjunk has answered th tractor questions. Im replying only because I have the MF 232 loader on my MF 1040. The loader has worked great since I have owned it, my only complaint is that the bucket rotates on the slow side. Since I dont use it that much, I never considered it to be a problem for me. Oh yes, I did have to replace one hydraulic line due to rust. Other than that its been ok. I have a 6ft bucket on mine.

scotty

/ Thinking of an Old Massey Tractor Purchase #4  
That MF 135 could be as old as 1964-vintage in which case the used retail is in the $3050-3450 range w/o FEL. 3100 hours is a lot of time on the engine clock, so I'd say the tractor is worth no more than about $3000. So, is a used FEL w/quick attach worth the difference between $7000 and $3000? Seems to me that you could get a nice new FEL for $4000. I would offer $6K and try to get a deal at $6.5K.

At 35 HP on the PTO, the MF-135 is right-sized for 20 acres. But it's 40 years old so I hope you know someone who likes to work on tractors.

/ Thinking of an Old Massey Tractor Purchase
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Most of you are affirming my own thoughts. It is a tough decision to drop 6 or 7 k on a 40 year old machine. Even tougher is the idea of spending probably 20k on a new machine of the size needed.
Tough choice indeed.
My original plan was to get something big and old to get in there and rip and tear with ...one that I didn't mind denting or scratching up. After the worst is done, then get something smaller, and newer that I could also mow with. But geez...7k for a 40 year old, when 10 or 12k could buy a nice new CUT.

I've read about how a new "big 3" tractor could be a wise investment, as the trade in value could be high enough to lessen depreciation. But again, significant investment with the possibility of me being quite rough on it.

I've thought about the rental route too. That would entail a sizeable investment in itself, as there is quite a bit of work to do right now.

Any suggestions for something "middle of the road"... between spending 7k on an old clunker and 20k on a new gem? I've watched so many 20-25 hp CUTs go for around 10k on ebay and it is hard to ignore that market. I just feel sure I'd break it in half or be really sore that it won't do what I want it to.

Yup, I'm a ramblin fool right now.

I'm out with the chainsaw just about everyday for at least a while...there is plenty to do without a loader right now. It looks like a bomb went off in the woods. I've included a picture of my "front yard".

I'll continue looking, pondering, wishin' and a hopin'.
Always welcoming more thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks!
Tony

Attachments

• 805885-aftercut-069.jpg
    805885-aftercut-069.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 257
   / Thinking of an Old Massey Tractor Purchase #7  
I'm following this thread with great interest, because I'm a big fan of those "40 year old tractors". I'm of the belief that they are better tractors, ESPECIALLY under adverse conditions like yours will see at first. They were built with all the "fragile components" tucked away safely, as opposed to todays crop of compacts and sub-compacts that wear everything out in harms way.

I'm also a big fan of those "100 series" Massey Fergusons. I have one. Yesterday afternoon, I was at my cousins house. He just traded for one also (MF 150) They are simple, rugged, easy to repair if that should arise, and hold a good resale value. 135 Masseys lead the pack in ease of resale. I don't see you going wrong with it.

I like my "toys", but I also like keeping my $$$$$$$$ in the bank and NOT in the friendly neighborhood tractor dealers bank. (No offense dealers out there!) $4000 or $5000 sound MUCH better than $10,000 or $20,000.

/ Thinking of an Old Massey Tractor Purchase #8  
I think the price is fair, at least from my perspective here in upstate NY.

1) 3100 hrs is not alot for a MF 135
2) $3,000 will buy a clean Ford N or beat up, barely running 135 in these parts
3) Nothing of that size in good running shape with a loader hits the $6k mark

Maybe pricing is different in your region, but I think it is a good value. The work you describe will take weight and power, and a much smaller compact may be frustrating skidding logs etc.

/ Thinking of an Old Massey Tractor Purchase #9  
I agree 110%. Massey 135's sell for $4000 to $6000 every day here too. Tack on a decent loader, and you've got yourself a VERY popular little chore tractor.

From my personal observations, Kentucky and Tennessee seem to be Massey "turf". They sold THOUSANDS of various 100 series tractors here. They still command quite a price.

/ Thinking of an Old Massey Tractor Purchase #10  
I wouldn't hesitate on that tractor one minute.
Fill the tires, they are a bit light in the rear for traction, fill the tires and problem solved.

If you are going to be on hilly or severly uneven ground I would prefer the 135 mF over ANY tractor out there. Those things with their low slung bellys and lower stance are stable, especiallly when the tires are widened out to their max. 5' centers are a good width for most anything designed for that tractor.

As far as the engine, you're looking at about 2 2.5 gallons per hour under heavy usage (pto speeds) and the engine is very durable. Even though the tractor is 40 years old possibly I would not hesitate on it as a workhorse. It is more tractor than 90% of the ones built today but doesn't have all the "thrills and frills."