What Tractor for us? Need an experience opinion.

/ What Tractor for us? Need an experience opinion. #1  

ABrown

Tractor
Ford 8N
Hello, I am very glad I found this site. Thanks for having me. I have looked at the brand boards and see some good and bad on most makes. This follows what I hear when I ask folks in person how they feel about a certain tractor.
We have a few tracts of land that need to be worked, mowed, fences built, etc. I have been doing this all with a 1948 8N and besides working on it more than with it, it just takes forever to do anything. I need more power and speed and traction.
I have several locations to work with so I must haul my equipment from place to place. My biggest open tracts are 20 and 15 acres with some smaller 5 and 3 acre areas that only need to be mowed.
I have looked at Mahindra (4110) and they are built close by here. Calhoun, GA. Also Kubota. Not stuck on anything brand wise. I want a 4X4 with FEL to help move limbs/brush in low wet areas. I have had to retrieve the 8n several times from the hollow. At least a 5' bushhawg maybe up to 8'. A larger Auger and my current box blade and garden implements are fine. I only am looking at open no cab models as I have lots of trees to go under in sections.
I know this is a pretty broad topic and I hope I have supplied enough information to get a good response. I have looked at used equipment from sunrise to sunset. I don't know how most of it has been maintained or abused and everything so far is running about 10K-14K. I think I can by new for around 20 and get zero percent financing. This would be good since it would not take all of our cash and we don't have any other payments besides a house at this time.
What have you guys found is the best way to go?

Thanks for having me.

Alan Brown
Calhoun, GA /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ What Tractor for us? Need an experience opinion. #2  
Take a look at all brands. I think it comes down to dealer not the brand.

/ What Tractor for us? Need an experience opinion. #3  
Welcome to Tractorybynet, Alan. And yes, this is a pretty broad topic you're asking about. You say you already have a 5' brush hog. Is that the size of your box blade, also? And what "garden implements"? A tiller? Some use a rule of thumb of 5hp per foot of width for a brush hog, although it depends on how heavy the stuff is that you want to cut; just grass & weeds vs. saplings of different sizes. Some folks want a tractor with the rear wheels set as wide as their brush hog, so if the tractor fits between two trees or other obstacles, they know without looking back that the brush hog will, also. Personally, I prefer a brush hog that's a few inches wider than the outside of my rear tires so I can get closer to fences, buildings, etc. My first preference is also for a front end loader bucket that's the same width as the box blade, and I prefer those to be a few inches wider than the outside of the rear tires, too.

What's the best way to go? I don't know; how much time do you have? A 25-30hp tractor will handle your existing brush hog and do the job. A bigger tractor will do it quicker. Naturally, I'd recommend 4 wheel drive, especially with a front end loader. And I prefer hydrostatic transmissions for convenience, but a manual transmission will do the job. I'd sure want a live PTO, and I'd want position control on the 3-point hitch. As for brands, most of us have our preferences, but that's like asking whether you want a Ford/Chevrolet/GMC/Dodge truck. They're nearly all good tractors, so which one do you like best and which dealer do you like best. You need to visit the dealers, drive some tractors, and find out which one "fits" you best.

I'd also suggest Muhammad's book for more detailed information on buying a compact tractor.

Have fun shopping.

/ What Tractor for us? Need an experience opinion. #4  
I think you are coming to the correct conclusion: a new zero financed tractor. There are many choices and lots of people will certainly chime in with their favorites. Sounds like you need something that balances power and size given your need for transport. I presume you have a pickup or something capable of pulling a 7000lb trailer. Assuming that there are machines and financing packages from Kubota, JD, MF, Kioti and other that would meet your needs. That brings up the inevitable point about dealer vs brand. I'd have to say that from my perspective the tractors your are looking at are more uniformly alike and dependable than the dealers so I'd focus first on finding a dealer you like and trust.

Good luck.

/ What Tractor for us? Need an experience opinion. #5  
Sent you a PM...

/ What Tractor for us? Need an experience opinion. #6  
Since you have wet areas, I'd look for lighter weight per horsepower rather than heavier (Kubota over Mahindra, for example) with removable wheel weights for when the weight is needed. Other than that, find a good dealership and salesman whom folks in your area trust. Most likely if you buy new, it won't need dealer service for quite a while, but it's good to know it's gonna be there if and when.

The dealers who post here all seem to be straight-up guys. Read their posts and PMs, listen to their advice, and patronize them if they're anywhere close to you.

I'd consider R4 tires to avoid sinking too deep in the goo, unless you are sure you want to just push on through and don't care about leaving ruts. Then get the extra traction of the narrower Ag tires and go with the heavier tractors.

/ What Tractor for us? Need an experience opinion.
Thanks for all the replies folks. 20k is a lot of money and I want to make sure this one is still working and earing its keep when my 2 year old is ready to work it. I am watching your post and appreciate the information.

Alan /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ What Tractor for us? Need an experience opinion. #8  
I would take a good look at NH if you are trailering frequently. The boomers are near the top in power to weight ratio.

/ What Tractor for us? Need an experience opinion.
Thanks, I don't know of a New Holland dealer near me but I will check them out before I buy.

/ What Tractor for us? Need an experience opinion. #10  
Alan,

I have shopped almost every tractor dealer in North Georgia, and even some in Eastern Alabama. If you would like my experiences with these dealers send me a PM. I can give you a run down of "The good, the bad, and the ugly" I can tell you the guys who really want your business, and also the ones where you are wasting your time.

I know a really good New Holland dealer if you are interested.