Caterpillar engines

/ Caterpillar engines #11  
i had a us model ym226d with shuttle and turfs. and the sales pamphlet that came with it showed green and red all in a row on the assembly line. great mowin machine.........

/ Caterpillar engines #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( but we as Cub Cadet dealers cannot "break into" that Cat motor that we sell. We can perform maintenace, but if there are any major problems with the motor we have to call the closest authorized CAT dealer )</font>

I am a Ferris and Cub dealer and that is the case. Infact we really don't get many of those machines in for that exact reason. I pitty guys that have to get CAT stuff serviced in their shops - their going shop rate is nearly double ours.

/ Caterpillar engines #13  
Bob,
I know that is incorrect. The John Deere 4100 was made in Japan and the 4200 through 4700 were assembled in Augusta Georgia and had Yamnar engines in them. Some of the newer John Deere compacts have John Deere Power Tech engines in them (At the moment I am not sure which ones /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif) I know Yamnar use to make some of the older compacts for John Deere and to my understanding Yamnar quit selling their tractors in the states with the Yamnar badge on them due to an agreement with John Deere because of John Deere buying Yamnar engines. I have a John Deere 4400 and it has the Yamnar engine in it and I am very impressed with the Yamnar engine. John Deere definately made the right choice of buying Yamnars,not saying the Kubotas and Izuzu are bad engines either. Does Honda make a diesel engine ??

/ Caterpillar engines #14  
There is an undeniable cashe' to having a CAT under the hood. Buyers will feel good about it. They know the name and is has a quality reputation from the public in general.

Perception is very important. Is the CAT a better motor? I couldn't say, but I'm not sure it matters much to sales unless the perception changes.

Cliff

/ Caterpillar engines #15  
The JD 4120 thru 4720 CUT's use the Powertech engine and, as far as I know, are the only CUT's made in America with American engines. Maybe the Cub Cadets with the Cats are a second source?

/ Caterpillar engines #16  
my jd 4115 was made in japan, by yanmar. it says so right on the frame under the engine. if it wasnt green, i probably wouldnt have bought it because of the lack of a parts network. i would have went with kubota i think....

/ Caterpillar engines #17  
<font color="blue"> The JD 4120 thru 4720 CUT's use the Powertech engine </font>

Are you sure about this?? I thought they had Yamnar engines and they never started using the Power Techs until the newer JD compacts were introduced and then just the bigger compact tractors .

/ Caterpillar engines #18  
Yup, the new 20 series JD compact tractors use the PowerTech engine - 4120 thru 4720. Based upon my exposure to this forum -- (whew.. is that a contagious condition?). But it's not clear to me if all the engines are assembled in the US (some in Mexico) but I believe the final assembly is in "Peach" country! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif More curious about what the heck is a TYN? AKfish

/ Caterpillar engines #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( but I believe the final assembly is in "Peach" country! )</font>

I don't know what it is, but everyone seems to assemble their equipment in Georgia. Anyone know why? Cheap labor? Tax advantages? etc?

/ Caterpillar engines #20  
Georgia is an at-will work state, thats the main advantage to bigger businesses moving into Georgia, plus there are some large ports here...plus we just work harder here in the south! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif