Caterpillar engines

/ Caterpillar engines #1  

linpat

Silver Member
does Caterpillar engines carry much weight, would a tractor with that engine brand be looked at more than if it had a lesser brand name? (not meaning cat is the best or other brands r not as good.)

/ Caterpillar engines #2  
most of the small CAT engines are actualy perkins painted CAT yellow. They are good quality, but don't have a reputation much better than Kubota and Yanmar.

/ Caterpillar engines #3  
The way a large portion of the population looks at Caterpillar engines, it would be feather in the hat so to speak to have the Cat engine. If you have or started to carry that brand of engines in a line of tractors, you would have a lot of people look at them and say, "Wow it's got a Cat engine!".

/ Caterpillar engines #4  
I would say they are no better or worse than the rest. There is a lot more to a tractor than just the engine. Unless a certain brand of engine is known for problems I doubt if it makes any difference what engine it has when it comes to resale.

/ Caterpillar engines #5  
MessickFarmEqu
We both now that the smaller CATs are built by a joint venture of Shibaura/Perkins of which Perkins is own by CAT, where we differ in opinion is the value of one recognized brand over another. Due you think for one minute Yanmar would have sold as many tractors here in the USA if they said Yanmar on them. I was a Yanmar dealer back when they were legitimately imported to the USA. They never had a chance with the general public. Put the two tractors next to each other, the Yanmar having more standard features then the Deere and selling for less money. The Deere way out sold the Yanmar and they both literally came down the same assembly line in Japan (some ware I have pictures to prove that). Not because the Deere was a better tractor it surely was not the Yanmar was. But because Deere is a known and recognized leader in its field and customers feel more comfortable with something they are familiar with not to mention the nation wide service accessibility. In the same vain a CAT engine gives the customer a similar feeling. Is it a silver bullet, of course not but to many of the general public (not so much the folks who visit here) having the CAT Power emblem on the side of a tractor is a positive influence. You sell New Holland do think for a minute if your TC30's said Shibaura on the side (which is who makes them) you would sell near as many? To date no one even the Challenger line of COMPACTS can state they are CAT powered. TYM is the first compact tractor line that will later this year introduce compacts that are powered by CAT. Time will tell but my bet is on the CAT and its long quality history it brings to mind will help any product it powers compared to a lesser-known engine brand. There are a lot of excellent brands of engines and tractors out there but in this world brand recognition plays an important roll.
Happy Tractoring
Chipperman /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
PS: </font><font color="blue" class="small">( They are good quality, but don't have a reputation <font color="red"> much better than </font> Kubota and Yanmar. )</font> Was that a Freudian slip? Looks like even you may think their reputation is somewhat better. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Caterpillar engines #6  
<font color="blue"> and they both literally came down the same assembly line in Japan (some ware I have pictures to prove that). </font>

Which John Deere tractors are you refering to ??

/ Caterpillar engines #7  
If I might interject here, I believe Yanmar makes pretty much everything less than 90HP for Deere. BobG in VA

/ Caterpillar engines #8  
The Cub Cadet model 6284 is powered by a 28hp Cat diesel, really a Perkins but marked and painted Cat industrial yellow. Ferris, and now Cub Cadet Commercial, have zero turn lawn mowers powered by Cat motors.

Here is the thing though, not sure if we have any TYM or Ferris dealers on the board or not, but we as Cub Cadet dealers cannot "break into" that Cat motor that we sell. We can perform maintenace, but if there are any major problems with the motor we have to call the closest authorized CAT dealer and either take it to them or have them come get it...what a pain. If customers knew this the whole name advantage of CAT might not be an issue any more...to know the dealer you bought your piece of equipment from wasn't allowed to work on the motor...

/ Caterpillar engines #9  
tposts
Today I am not sure although I think the 790 and 990 are/were built on the Yanmar assembly line. But back when I was a Yanmar dealer the "50 series" 650, 750 etc was built on the same line as the other Yanmar tractors. I have seen pictures of the line. Red, Green, Red, Green, Red, Red, Green and so on. Hope that helps
Happy Tractoring
Chipperman /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
PS: Today I believe some of the compacts still use Yanmar engines (some use Deere engines from Mexico) and possibly other components but they are "assembled" here in the states.

/ Caterpillar engines #10  
gamble77
I agree that would be a pain but I was told that will not be the case with the TYM product. That exact issue was discussed with the Cat rep and TYM people back in Sept and they said there is a special program for Agricultural mfg's. Maybe Cub/Ferris did not qualify or chose not to participate. Currently TYM dealers can preform any needed work on the engines in the tractors.

I could be wrong but I remember when Cub used Kubota in their Super tractors dealers could perform any and all work needed on it. But only on Kubota engines in Cub product.
Happy Tractoring