Tractor Recomends

/ Tractor Recomends #1  

natural

I have been looking around for a compact tractor for some and even done some reviewing here on TBN. I have 15 acres of which 7 is wooded, 3 is brush and 5 is yard. So a good finish mower is required along with a brush hog. Will also do some cleanup up of the woodland also. I am thinking about a 30 hp would be good for the brush and even in the woods but how large of finish mower can I go with a 30 hp. 72" wide is what I am told and thinking but even at that it will take some time to mow weekly.

Any suggestions would be helpful for size.

/ Tractor Recomends #2  
I think you are right about the size tractor. 30hp is reasonable for the type of bush hogging (3 acres) and mowing (5 acres) you are planning. Something like a Kubota 7800 or 3030 or Kioti CK30 as well as the equivalent JDs, NH etc would certainly be up to the task. You have a lot of lawn so you may not want to go with anything less than a 72" mower. A 60 inch bush hog should be fine too.

/ Tractor Recomends #3  
My B2910 with 72" MMM will cut 2 acres an hour. On fairly smooth ground. It is a 30 hp tractor. The B7800 is the same tractor with a few less frills.

/ Tractor Recomends #4  
<font color="blue"> Will also do some cleanup up of the woodland also. </font>

Hiya Natural, how goes it? Just wondering if you can fill us in with some specifics about what your going to be doing with your woodlands. Maybe a grapple is in your future? If so, loader capacity starts to become more of a significant factor.

The more details we have, the more easily we can spend your money - after all, that's what we're here for. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

John

/ Tractor Recomends #5  
i have a TYM tractor, it has been in a rental store for over a year. it has done very well and i have gotten positive comments about it. almost every person that takes it out says how well built it is.

TYM is a company that has built tractors for other companies, like MAHINDRA, ALLMAND, SCORPION, MONTANA

they have decided to start selling it under there owen name, starting in 2006. check out there web site.
www.tym-america.com by the end of the year they will have cat engines in there tractor.

/ Tractor Recomends #6  
Hey Natural,
First of all, good luck with your tractor search. As you will read on other parts of these forums, pick a dealer first, then the tractor. There were lots of good tractors in my area that I couldn't deal on or did not have a good experience talking to the dealers. I spent a couple of years looking for the best buy in a 30 hp tractor. Dollar for dollar, the best buy I found on a 30 hp (engine rated) was the Farmtrac 300DTC or Montana 3040 (same tractor, different color) These tractors are manufactured by LG, have a Mitsubishi 4 cyl engine, 12-12 shuttle shift, and lots of bells and whistles. They are loaded with features for the money. The only knock on these tractors is that the operator platform is small. I'm 6'3" and felt I looked like a gorilla sitting on a tricylce. I opted for a NH TC35A and am well pleased. I did spend about 4 grand more for the operator comfort. This is just my .02 and there is a lot more experienced hands on these boards. In fact, there is SO MUCH information on these boards. Spend some time and dig through. The info I found here helped me make an much more informed decison. Again, good luck with your search

/ Tractor Recomends
The majority of work will mowing. So I want the largest HP lightest tractor out there. Boss wants the yard looking nice. I know I will get the turf tires but I might opt for the R4's cause of some loader work in the barn. As far as how much money, boss said just go get it.

Nate

/ Tractor Recomends #8  
Hiya Natural -

Here's my best advice to you, based on what you've told us.

(Disclaimer: I am heavily biased toward Kubotas in general, and Grand L's in particular, but have a very warm spot in my heart for JD's - the new Twenty Series in particular. I just think that Kubotas have the edge in the simplicity and bomb-proof reliability department, particularly the hydro tranny).

I would think along the lines of: "what's the heaviest tractor that I can still use for mowing", rather than "what's the lightest tractor I can get with 30-ish HP". The reason I say this has everything to do with LOADER LIFT CAPACITY and LOADER HEIGHT.

Time and time again, some will say that "a smaller tractor can do everything a larger tractor can do, it will just take longer". The element of truth in this statement can somewhat disguise the fact that the statement is ultimately false.

The smaller tractor will have a smaller loader, that will never, ever be able to pick up what the larger tractor will, or lift it as high. I'm not talking about an L3130 vs. an L3830; I'm talking about a Grand L 3x30 vs. a B3030, B7800, or B-anything.

Considering your acreage, and the fact that you want to clean up significant amounts of woodlands, that says grapple to me. I think you'd be happy with a 723 loader sitting on a Grand L3830HST with turf tires. To those who say you can't get any real work done with turf tires, please see 5030 "skidder" pics - the tree-bota in action.

The Titan turfs have been astonishingly productive, even in sloppy conditions. They are obviously great on lawns, are fantastic in snow, and are very rugged. (Insist on 6-plys for the fronts). There is also no better tire for putting chains on than turfs. The chains lie flat on the tread, and the traction in snow is amazing.

I believe that for the few times your lawn is a little too soggy to mow with this tractor, it would be your best bet. Make yourself a nice big concrete counterweight for the 3ph, or carry a heavy attachment. Don't load the tires - keep her light for mowing.

Why a 3830, and not a 3130 or 3430? Power to weight. The 3830 gets you to around 140 lbs/pto HP. Any more than that, and I think you're too sluggish. The 3130 is 180 lbs, the 5030 is 111 lbs.

Again, check out the JD Twenty series. If you like the JD's better, and the raw specs are close to those of the Bota, go for it. I think the Botas lift more and are a little more reliable, but that's just me. Also, seriously weigh your tranny options. HST is invaluable in some cases, and foolish in others. So much depends on your terrain, obstacles, etc. HST gives you incredible control; GST puts a little more power to the ground, is cheaper to buy and maintain, and keeps your hydraulics cooler.

Good luck with your decision,

John D.

(Oh, and don't forget to ask for the Kubota hat that comes with your new tractor). /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ok, a little self-editing: I painted the above with a pretty broad brush. Maybe just make darn sure that the tractor you end up with is going to have enough loader capacity to do what you are going to wish it could do, and not let the mowing keep you from getting a lot of other serious work done. If you are sure you could get away with a 403 (402?) loader, maybe get a B3030, or other "B" Kubota.

/ Tractor Recomends #9  
Boy, CT, you love to spend other people's money. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I don't disagree with your points but I do think you have a bit of a bias as a professional towards the heavier equipment. The rest of us sometimes have to compromise. Grand L's are very fine machines but for most folks they can make do with a 7800 and pocket a bundle of change. I make this point just to bring up the fact that the 7800 can almost certainly do the mowing jobs just as well if not better than the Grand Ls and unless there is a need for a heavy lift FEL that the 7800 is no wimp in that dept either.

The best machine is the one that can do the job without wasting unused capacity, fuel or capital. I betcha agree with me on that even though you love those big Ls. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Tractor Recomends
John,

Thanks for your advice but weight is still important. Lawn has to come first. I have other tractors available to me for the woods work. I would only use this one on occassion for any loader work. I have to make sure this thing is set up to mow first, move horse manure second and then just maybe it will get into the woods. I was just thinking I could get into the woods in some tighter areas than the bigger ones would allow me to.

I don't have a Kubota dealer close, we do have a John Deere and a New Holland/Case dealer. I actually felt the most comfortable on a New Holland TC33. He said I can get the same thing in Case/red color if I want. I actually like the red better but sure liked the feel of the New Holland/Case over the John Deere. And then he said I could get Super-Steer in the New Holland that would be nice for mowing. I just wish I could get into a 84" mower. I would have to go up in size which I think takes you to a larger tractor.

Nate