Equipment Choices

/ Equipment Choices #1  

CoolMF

Tractor
2003 GC2300 w/ loader and 60"mm mower
I currently am in the process of building a house on 5.5 acres. My land is 100% flat. It's an old bean field that is mostly sandy soil. I have 500 ft of gravel driveway (300 of which I need to install) and a ton of landscaping/grading left to do. I purchased a MF GC2300 w/loader and 60" mm mower last year. I have come to the conclusion that I need something bigger or a used skidsteer. I am looking for opinions as to if I should trade in my GC2300 on a bigger tractor or a used bobcat. I can't afford both at this time. If I get a bobcat, I may sell it in the summer and buy another tractor for cutting grass and typical property maintenance. Any and all opinions will be helpful!

Attachments

• 811383-100_1590.JPG
    811383-100_1590.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 390
   / Equipment Choices
Pictures of my toy!

Attachments

• 811396-100_8577.JPG
    811396-100_8577.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 400
   / Equipment Choices
Another house picture

Attachments

• 811397-100_2444.JPG
    811397-100_2444.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 315
   / Equipment Choices
and another!

Attachments

• 811398-100_2451.JPG
    811398-100_2451.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 298
   / Equipment Choices #5  
Nice house, are you living in it now? Can you rent a skid steer for a week or two and keep your tractor? I mow with a 6' rear finish mower 3.26 acres and my tractor is 25 hp. It's all I need but wish I had more lift on the FEL and 3ph. The little tractor would be nice to have in the future, easy to mow up close with.

/ Equipment Choices
Bill,

I am not yet living in the house. I am building it myself, so progress is slow! The problem with renting is, I work on the house only a couple day a week. I think the rental rates would eat up my already empty pocket! I agree that the GC2300 would be perfect when the construction is done (if ever!). It is just not up to the tasks that I have for the next few(3-6) months. I was thinking of trading for a used skid steer or a tractor w/ 25-35 hp.

/ Equipment Choices #7  
Heya CoolMF:

If it were me, I'd trade the smaller tractor on a larger tractor, one that you would be able to use during and after construction. If for some reason, you find the new unit is too big for your needs post-construction, you could trade down to something more manageable.

Just my two cents.

BC

/ Equipment Choices #8  
We built our place a little over 5 years ago, we love it now but I won't go through that again. Do you get to inspect your own construction? I don't know where you are located but in the Kansas area, the skid steers usually bring around $10,000 in very used condition. A bigger tractor would do most of the same things but they are pricey too. Building does have a way of using up all spare funds. Good luck however you go.

/ Equipment Choices #9  
why do you need a skid steer (Bobcat)?
They are quick if the ground will allow it to be quick. Gooey or wet and they are useless. As others have said, get done what you need a Bobcat for by either renting or paying a contractor and keep your machine. If you find that your machine is still to small that is another story. I hope I understood your needs correctly /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Equipment Choices #10  
CoolMF,

I also looked at the GC2300 when I was first looking but immediately dismissed it as I thought it was too small for what I wanted to do. (Mainly landscaping....also have two horses so you know what that means.)

From your post it would seem you need all the help you can get. Although a bobcat is handy in some situations (mainly FEL) it is not anywhere as useful for adding other implements. Believe me, once you get the house done there will be other things a tractor will come incredibly handy for. Also, (I believe) a tractor will be less prone to get stuck because of the larger & wider back tires.

Get a tractor, 29 to 35 HP range, you won't regret it. I only have 2.3 acres & would not be without my Dynamo Hummm !! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Good Luck With The House !!

Vic