Please help too many choices

/ Please help too many choices #1  

rexcramer

Silver Member
Tractor
Case 580C
Thanks for taking the time to help me make a decision.

My wife and I just purchased 18 acres of woods and would like to build in 1-2 years. I am going to need a tractor to clear about 2-3 acres of woods. I am also going to need to make a driveway, a septic field, and I will have to move fill for a house and a pole barn.

I want a tractor with a loader and a backhoe. I am not concerned with using the tractor for mowing since I am not going to have much grass. There is an older Ford diesel tractor (30+ years) for sale near me for about $9000 which will be plenty for my needs, but there will be a lot of upkeep. My brother in law is a hydraulic tech so I am covered on that front.

My other option is to go new, unfortunately there are a bazillion tractors out there. I was looking online at the John Deere 90 series tractors. These are of course much smaller than the older tractor I was looking at. Would one of these Deere's be enough? I do not want to spend $30000 on a tractor.

Thanks for your advice

/ Please help too many choices #2  
All I can do is offer what "I would do" in your case. I'd opt for a used tractor, something with a loader. Possibly an industrial tractor even. I'd look for 45 or 50 HP as a minimum. For what you described, you don't need a lightweight, light duty tractor now. When the yard is done, trade/sell it and buy something a bit smaller and more refined.

/ Please help too many choices #3  
Sounds like you have some immediate need for something "heavy duty" ...

I'd say keep an eye out for a used dedicated TLB (e.g. JD310-JD510 sized ... case, etc have similar sized versions). I think $15K to $25K get's one in pretty good condition generally.

When done with the "heavy" stuff, sell/trade it in for a nice CUT that you can then finsh the landscaping and general "lighter" work ...

The clearing of the woods might be better to have "hired out". Anything "markettable" (perhaps even firewood?). IF the "woods" have some value, you may find a logger that can do the cutting (you pocket some percentage of the value), and then use what you pocket to get an excavator to slash out stumps and brush.

<edit> my "heavy duty" was meant to mean "heavier than a CUT ...</edit>

/ Please help too many choices #4  
Find a used tractor that will do everything you want to do. Buy it, do the work, clean it up and sell it for what you paid for it.

/ Please help too many choices
Thanks for the replys, after visiting the John Deere dealer today I think you guys are right. I am glad I went now I know what to look for.

/ Please help too many choices #6  
<font color="blue">I am going to need a tractor to clear about 2-3 acres of woods. I am also going to need to make a driveway, a septic field, and I will have to move fill for a house and a pole barn. </font>
One of the things these tasks have in common is they're all one time tasks. What recurring tasks will you need to do? My suggestion would be to buy the tractor you'll need to perform the recurring tasks and hire someone to do the one time tasks or rent the equipment to do it yourself.

/ Please help too many choices #7  
Before we built, I traded out timber to a logger/developer for the site work. He took out about 7 loads of logs and I got my home site and roads for virtually nothing. I had a small Yanmar, far too small to take on a project of that size.

/ Please help too many choices #8  
<font color="blue"> </font>
good point, better 2 use the right tool or get some1 2 clear cut it. unless u r doing it for enjoyment.

u maybe able 2 get some1 2 do it for nothing.