Price Check I know what I want; What is a fair price?

/ I know what I want; What is a fair price? #1  

frank29

Bronze Member
How can I, as a novice buyer, determine a fair price for a new tractor plus attachments?

There is a local dealer with whom I would like to establish a relationship. Situations I want to avoid include:
1) I don’t want to start my relationship by getting his quote only for the use of bouncing off of other dealers (to see if the local guy is competitive).
2) I don’t want to obtain quotes from distant dealers only for the use of telling my local dealer that he must beat it to get my business.

When I purchase a new car, I have ready access to various online sites that, when evaluated in total, allow me to approach a dealer with a firm understanding of what I am willing to pay. Are these resources available for tractors?

I know what equipment I want to purchase. I don’t want to go here, than go there; than, let’s go back there to see if they will match it. I want to walk into my local dealer and make a transaction. How can I do this?

/ I know what I want; What is a fair price? #2  
I'm not at all sure how you would go about getting an idea of pricing, other than to go visit aldermans.com to get their pricing. I've found them to be extremely competitive.

/ I know what I want; What is a fair price?
I tried aldermans.com Maybe I'm doing something wrong; but, all I can access is list price. The entire point of my posting is trying to get a handle on the actual price paid....the list price for tractors is readily availble, the same way the MRSP price for cars is on a window sticker. New car salesmen love customers that only know what the window sticker is.....when I buy a car, I know what the going price is.....I want to know the same for tractors....HOW DO I DO THIS?

/ I know what I want; What is a fair price? #4  
Welcome to TBN. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
<font color="blue"> I want to know the same for tractors....HOW DO I DO THIS? </font>

<font color="blue"> 1) I don’t want to start my relationship by getting his quote only for the use of bouncing off of other dealers (to see if the local guy is competitive).
2) I don’t want to obtain quotes from distant dealers only for the use of telling my local dealer that he must beat it to get my business. </font>

In you first post you ruled out the way most people get the lowest price for a tractor.
The next best way would be to search here on TBN for the tractor you want. Compare your price to what others paid.
You could always trust your dealer to give you the best price up front. When purchasing something as expensive as a tractor. I would want more than one quote.

/ I know what I want; What is a fair price? #5  
Pretty hard to get figures as for one, pricing is very different depending on where you live in this country. And, I am not aware of any listings like you can get like buying cars,,, Dealer costs, MSRP, vs holdback, and so on..

/ I know what I want; What is a fair price? #6  
Frank29,

As you stated, the dealer cost or standard discount information is not readily available for tractors as it is for cars. You have to do some research to determine what you should expect for a good deal.

TBN is a great site to see what others have paid. The discount off list is very dependant on both the brand and the region of the country.

You do not need to beat down your local dealer to the best price you may find from a more distant dealer. You just need to determine that the extra dollars spent are worth the relationship you develop with the local guy. Often it is.

I have found that your best price will be offered when the dealer knows you are serious about buying. Do some research on TBN. Ask questions. Once you have a better feel for the pricing in your area, walk into your dealer of choice and let them know you are ready to buy and you want their best price. Be prepared to pay a little more if the dealer does not reach what you expect and be prepared to walk away if the dealer is unable to even come close to your price expectations. If the price is close but still a little high, see if you can't get the dealer to include the first service (fluids, filters and labor) for free.

Good luck,

Jeff

/ I know what I want; What is a fair price? #7  
Getting more than one quote is definately best. Other than that I would think you could talk to people who have bought from your dealer and get their opinions on how they were treated and if the dealer was competitive on prices. And although prices do vary around the country... seeing what others paid will give you some guidance. Maybe somebody local to you has bought the same thing?

/ I know what I want; What is a fair price? #8  
Some of the low cost dealers on the internet with prices listed or e-mailed to you are:

For Kubota: www.carverequipment.com
For Massey-Ferguson: www.outdoorpowerequip.com
For New Holland (CaseIH would be about the same): www.corimpco.com

The last (Corriher) you have to e-mail a request for a quote and they will reply quickly with no obligation and they won't bug you after.

I have been told that in general, the cost to the dealer is about 75% of the MSRP and most dealers need to get 10-12% above their cost. In negotiating, offer them 82.5% of MSRP which should be a fair deal for both of you unless it is a low cost tractor, in which case they may need to get a minimum.

/ I know what I want; What is a fair price? #9  
good info and to frank29, comparison shop. If you have your heart set on a particular make and model, use comperable makes and models as a barometer. For example a Ford F-150 vs a Chevy 1500. Feature for feature you'll end up with a less expensive product doing the same job yet only you will know which machine you set out to purchase. If you need this machine yesterday then rent. Patience pays great dividends /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif With that said I believe retail buyers and dealers have about the same tools available through the internet as far as product information and pricing is concerned. Where the buyer has the advantage is who they buy from. There have been many posts on the dealer/buyer relationship. For the majority of tractor consumers, feeling comfortable with the dealer's ability to service a tractor buyer is where the purchase is made. This is where the dealer has the advantage. Selling the customer that if and when a problem with product arises The dealer will be there to resolve it so customer can continue on. Sooooooooooooo, what is a fair price? Sometimes you can't put a price on a purchase because of the after purchase needs. Long winded but I hope it was helpfull

/ I know what I want; What is a fair price? #10  
You may know what you want, but do we??
Sorry if this seems terse, but all the info seems to be flowing in one direction. BobG in VA