Dead and down Pinion, recommendation

/ Dead and down Pinion, recommendation #1  

R_Walter

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240
I have 40 acres to clean up of beetle-kill Pinon, where the Pinon has mostly fallen. This piece of land falls off from about 7,300 feet to 7,100 feet in a little over 800 feet, so its not terribly steep with a large arroyo running through it. It runs better than 2,000 feet in length. The land is in NM on the continental divide about 95 miles north of Albuquerque.

I'm looking for a smaller tractor to get in there and clean it out and salvage what I can for firewood. I'm thinking I need a FEL, some kind of grapple setup and a rear blade or box blade for the roads (2 wheel tracks) that are in there. I'm not brand specific, but either orange or green will work for me, I suppose.

Who's got some ideas? Don't worry. The dealers are close, less than 100 miles away.

/ Dead and down Pinion, recommendation #2  
Have you considered a Logging winch?

Picture attached. There is a good selection.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:
   / Dead and down Pinion, recommendation #4  
If the land is steep enough to raise stability issues the PowerTrac with grapple bucket would seem a good way to go. Otherwise a sub 30hp TLB with adequate ground clearance would be my choice. Kubota, JD, Mahindra, Kioti and others make machines that would fit the TLB bill. Bucket grapples can be added to the TLB for roughly $1000 with half for the grapple attachment and half to add a hydraulic selector valve for the added function.

40 acres is a lot of land but don't think a bigger tractor would likely make much difference unless you got a really big 50+ hp machine with $2500 grapple etc.

/ Dead and down Pinion, recommendation #5  
You lucky lucky man. I just moved from Albuquerque and would love to come back but up by you instead. That has to be one of the most beautiful areas in this country, possibly on earth. I am not exaggerating.

As far as recommendations, I don't have one really, sorry. Probably would go with Kubota or even a grey market if it's not for a business and your not pressed for time. If a grey breaks you *might* have to wait a little longer. I don't remember seeing any grey market dealers in NM when I was there so you would probably have to order everything and have it shipped. EFC is up in WA, Hoye is in TX, and I think there a few in CA too. It's an option and it won't cost you nearly as much even with delivery or a road trip to pick it up.

/ Dead and down Pinion, recommendation #6  
Walter, I live near Bloomfield, NM. I'd be happy to come up and cut and haul some wood for my stove most any weekend. I usually hunt unit 5B, just east of you. I think my B7800 would do what you need, I got it at Kubota dealer in Gem Village, Co. Just outside of Bayfield, Co. If you want a little bigger machine I belive they have a used L3130 on the lot right now. They where much easier to deal with than the local Deere, New Holland, and Massy dealers. Good luck with your search. J48

/ Dead and down Pinion, recommendation
The Pinon is mostly 16 to 30 feet in height and anywhere from8 inches to 20 inches in diameter. Don't know about weight but Ill buck the bigger trees first.

/ Dead and down Pinion, recommendation #8  
R Walter, I'm down near Socorro, NM and I was also looking locally for a new or used tractor to deal with road grading and general property maintaince. I ended up deciding to go out of state and have a NH TC40D with a 16LA loader delivered. I found the local ( in state) dealers are far and few between and not willing to deal with ya. List price or nothing. It has worked out well for box blading the drive and hauling out materials to the dump.
Pab OH, How do you like Carroll County? How long have you been there?I was raised in Carrollton but moved to Socorro,NM in 1980 after high school to go to college. Just never left.

Stonefox /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Dead and down Pinion, recommendation #9  
StoneFox,
Now that's funny! I was actually born in Stark County (Canton, OH) and moved to NM for 3 years. I've been "back" in OH for about 6 months but I lived in northern Carroll County (Malvern) for 11 years before I moved to NM.

I want to come back to NM. I like Carroll County but I like NM much more, especially up north (Taos & Pojaque (spelling?) come to mind). Southern CO was the best though, especially Durango and Mancos.

Down by you I liked Ruidosso, that was real nice. One day after the kids are grown up I'll be back. You go to NM Tech? I have 4 friends who went there. Three of them are originally from PA and we all worked at the Lab in Albuquerque.

/ Dead and down Pinion, recommendation #10  
Pab OH, I was born in North Canton and the folks moved to Carrollton when I was very young. Graduated from Carrollton and went to college at NM Tech from 80-85 and graduated with a degree in petro. eng. and I've been working in research at NM Tech Petroleum Recovery research Center since 85. I know a couple of people I went to school with that are working at Sandia Labs. Funny thing is that my wife is looking for a teaching position, she got her Phd in petro. eng. from tech, and would like to work and live down around Marrietta. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif So who knows I may be coming back myself. Personally, I would prefer to stay out here somewhere. Anyway, hope you get a tractor to your liking and best of luck to ya. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
stonefox