HST vs GEAR

/ HST vs GEAR #11  
Simply put, I'll bet there are more HST users who would not go back to gear, than there are the other way around.
Having both hands free to steer and operate the 3pt and/or FEL while forward/reverse are handled with one foot, leaving the other foot free for turning brakes is about as good as one can get, IMO. But I could care less what others use or think is best. I just know what I find best for me.
Good luck on your decision. You could be happy with either. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ HST vs GEAR #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( For constant speed open field work, the gear tractor is actually more convenient.... )</font>

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( For mowing, snowblowing, and tiller work; the HST is the right tool )</font>

Though it may be that I'm just in flat -no-tree florida.. But I consider mowing open field work. I set my throttle on my gear tractor, and 2.5 hours later.. lower it to disengage pto, before heading to the barn... no clutch.. no breaks.. etc... Again.. I'd chalk this up to personal preference on my part, as others mowing tasks may be vastly different than open pasture mowing.. etc...

However I agree with your hst / gear ideas int he rest of your message. Good fair to both sides post.

Soundguy

/ HST vs GEAR #13  
<font color="blue"> I consider mowing open field work. </font>

That's becasue you mow open fields. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have some open areas, but about 1/3 my mowing time is detail work, like around flower beds, fences, trees, etc... It takes me about about 15-20 minutes to mow the large open areas and about 10 minutes to do all the start and stop detail work. I wouldn't want to do that with a gear tractor. I have, and I will never go back. For open fields, I might be convinced to go with gear, but it would have to be large fields to offset my other plusses in my HST category.

I think there are two types of users here at TBN... large scale and small scale. Or lawn VS field. Or commercial vs residential. Etc.... I fit into the small scale type users even though we have 20 acres.

/ HST vs GEAR #14  
one more thing to consider... if you do a lot of starts and stops, the clutch will wear more. at some point, you have to weigh the price difference between gear and HST, and the price of a new clutch job ( or two or three). my two cents worth.

/ HST vs GEAR #15  
One more point on gear transmissions.
Clutch wear is virtually a thing of the past on PowerShuttle and PowerShift transmissions. These transmissions use fluid clutches, which should last as long as the engine or longer.

/ HST vs GEAR #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( One more point on gear transmissions.
Clutch wear is virtually a thing of the past on PowerShuttle and PowerShift transmissions. These transmissions use fluid clutches, which should last as long as the engine or longer.
)</font>

if im not mistaken, newer JD gear tractors have wet clutches (5103 maybe?)

/ HST vs GEAR #17  
It has been a while but the last ones that I looked at, it depended on the tranny.

/ HST vs GEAR #18  
And there appears to be many very old tractors with original clutches. Says alot about their durability. Gears are a time proven and tested system, that's for sure.

/ HST vs GEAR #19  
There a fair number of gear tractors out there with wet clutches. I don't think too many people wear out the clutch on a tractor, though. It depends on your terrain and how you use it, too. Slipping the clutch will definitely shorten it's life.

I have two mowers, both Cadets. One is a hydro, the other a belt drive gear model. All of my mowing is what most guys would consider detail mowing. I probably don't go more than 100 feet without having to change direction, go up a hill, down a hill or something. On the gear machine, I mow in 2nd. On the hydro, I'm moving the hydro lever all the time, and the brake a lot of it. I use the gear one more because it has a bagger so I can feed the clippings to the sheep and it gives a better cut. The tractor the hydro is on is a much heavier built unit, so it gets the rough work that's too detailed for the bush hog behind the 'Bota.

/ HST vs GEAR #20  
What gear tractors will go as low as 1/4 mph? So far the only one I can find is a Kubota L3130 DT with a creeper gear. Just wondering what else is available in the 25pto hp range that'll go s-l-o-w?

Thanks,
Ray