looking for info on buying

/ looking for info on buying #1  

blue24

I have been reading this web site for a couple weeks. looking for information on tractors with 25hp. (more or less)

the MF, JD,kubota, NH specs seem to be less than tractors i am not to familiar with. Kioti,mahindra, montana,Tym.when you try to compare like item to like item.

Are people that stuck on a name or are the most common name tractors that much better, if so i don't see it. Some of these tractors look like glorified lawn mowers. IE(GC2310TLB,BX23,JD2310)

very confused /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ looking for info on buying #2  
blue24 said:
Some of these tractors look like glorified lawn mowers. IE(GC2310TLB,BX23,JD2310)

I couldn't have said it any better! For those that need them they serve a purpose. When I found out what one of them cost I nearly choked and began looking at the "imports" (they are ALL imports).

I'm not putting anyone down for their tractor choice just stating that the manufactures know what is hot and are charging accordingly and I don't get it.

What are you looking to do with your tractor? Where are you located? What is your property like? Have you ever owned a tractor before? Do you have a preferrence with regard to transmission (Straight Gear, Power Shift, Shuttle Shift, Synchronized Shuttle Shift, Glide Shift, Hyrdostatic)? I know I probably forgot one.

If you sit down and spell out what you want to do with it you will be able to figure out what you need a lot faster and if one of those SCUT's (Sub-Compact Utility Tractor) will work for you or not. Honestly though, if you can see a need for a CUT in your future and can afford it I would look at getting one right now and you'll have it and be able to use it now.

To be fair, those are not really lawn mowers. They are way more beefy and offer you the ability to use real tools (loaders, backhoes, etc...) compared to the true garden or lawn tractors. Also, the SCUT's will most likely outlast 4 of the garden or lawn tractors if proper maintained.

Fill in your profile and folks might be able to help. I'm a tractor newbie myself and just went through the process. Be prepared to make a lot of decisions and have fun!

I am taking delivery of a slightly used (1100 hour) grey market Kubota this week. Cost was about half of a US version Kubota and I got an American made Koyker loader on it.

Hope you SCUT owners don't flame me!

Hope this helps.

/ looking for info on buying #3  
All tractors in the 25hp range that are not glorified lawn mowers are manufactured outside the US. If you are new to tractors you might want to consider something like an old Ford 8N. They are about 25hp and will do an unbelieveable amount of work. Use it for a while and once you get the feel for what yuou can do with 25hp, you can trade it in for a newer model. You should be able to get one for under $3000, and when it's time to get that new tractor you 'll be able to get your money back for the 8N.

/ looking for info on buying #4  
With the exception of the engine & HST which are imported from Japan, the Kubota BX series is manufactured in Georgia just outside Atlanta. This also includes all of the OEM implements also.
Kubota America is traded on the NYSE.

Volfandt

/ looking for info on buying #5  
Hello Blue. Welcome to TBN. If you fill out your profile it would be helpful. To answer some of your questions I would say that the tractors you listed are all very good machines.

However, not all will fit your specific need and that is where a little more info on your part would be helpful.

No, the most common names are not that much better. The Montana's, Kioti's, Mahindra's, TYM's, Bransons etc. are all excellent and in many cases offer equal to or better than quality and typically more standard features for the dollar spent. You do want to make sure you have a dealer you are satisfied will support you after your purchase.

Really think about your current and future needs, evaluate each potential tractor, the dealer, what you get for what you spend and by all means if possible drive each one.

Thanks,
Maka

/ looking for info on buying #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( tractors look like glorified lawn mowers. IE(GC2310TLB,BX23,JD2310)
)</font>

I can just about guarantee you that if you chained a bx23 and anybrand (craftsman, huskie, cub) of lawnmower together and both let the clutch out, you would see the bx 2300 towing the lawnmower around... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

While I personally don't like the NH TZ series scut tractor.. the regular tc line.. like the older tc 18, 24, etc.. looke dlike decent scut/cut to me.

As for price vs name. Sometimes you are getting a little premium. For instance... I remember when I was looking at a jinma 18 hp tractor and a NH TC18 ... jinma was 3200$ or so, and the NH was 7700$ That's a 50+% increas for the name brand... however.. I would also expect the NH to last longer, have better fit/finish, and better warranty / dealer support.. etc.

This big disparity disappears and price closes a bit also when you move up to other brands like mahindra, branson, montana.. etc.. kioti.. etc... less money,, sometimes though only slightly.. good value per $, and less of a dice roll than a straight economy chinese tractor ( more $$ though).. so.. everything has it's trade off. Just have to decide what you want and are comfortable with.

Do you want a brand that is basically yours after it is dropped off, and aside from internet support.. the dealer may be gone tomorrow, and you do all the wrenching.. but also are only paying 50% less.. or do you move up into the 66% and 80% areas and get a unit that is not quite as fully supported as the big 3, but with a few phone calls you know you can get parts locally.. etc.. or the big three, with some of the best dealer networks, and parts support decades after a product is produced in many case.. yet.. most money.

Soundguy

/ looking for info on buying #7  
Blue,
If you do your homework you will find the Mahindra name right up there with the big 3 world wide, and you will find that Mahindra is gaining ground rapidly in this country.

Galen LaWall
Your Mahindra Tractor Dealer
Batavia, NY
585-343-0770

/ looking for info on buying
Thanks for the help, i think what i will do is look at my local dealers and look for customer service. My first visit to a dealers was not pleasant, they basically said i should buy there brand just because of who they are. from what i have found out is the brand names are weaker than what i would call not so well known (to me that is).

yes i know that if you put those tractors up against garden tractors they will pull them with no problem, but to pay up 4 times the price i am not impressed.

i would like to mow, plow, clear brush. things like that. The backhoe for the cost and how much i will use it i think i will keep that $3500.00 or so and rent a real backhoe when i need one.

/ looking for info on buying #9  
I think Soundguy's summary of tractor brand choices hits the nail squarely on the head. Lots of reasonable choices, each with distinct benefits and costs. Well and fairly stated.

/ looking for info on buying #10  
<font color="blue">1*yes I know that if you put those tractors up against garden tractors they will pull them with no problem, but to pay up to 4 times the price I am not impressed.
2* The backhoe for the cost and how much I will use it I think I will keep that $3500.00 or so and rent a real backhoe when I need one. </font>
=====
1*This is not always true across the board. I've made price comparisons between lawn and garden tractors and S-Cuts where I found cases of S-Cuts priced considerably less than a lawn and garden tractor.
Some Examples:
A* Simplicity L&G $6,000 to $19,000 S-Cut $5700 to $15,500.
B* John Deere L & G $5800 to $12,000 S-Cut $5700 to $8100
If quality/duribility/ reliability aren't important to you, you can always go with a My Tractor Died from one of the box stores if the lowest price tag is your goal.
2*I have 397 hours on my BX23 of which about 24% is BACK HOE hours.
The BH cost me $3800.
At $40 an hour x 95 hours that's $3800 / therefore my BH has already paid for itself.
~~~~~~~~~
MY FIRST CAR http://chevy.tocmp.com/chevyscrapbook/files/kamp50.jpg
OUR FIRST CAR http://www.hubcapcafe.com/ocs/pages01/chev6003.htm
~~~~~~~~~~