Does Weight Equate to Quality in a Tractor?

/ Does Weight Equate to Quality in a Tractor? #1  

Oleozz

Veteran Member
Tractor
International 1066 with Year Round Cab, Kioti DK 45S with Cab, 451 Loader
I have narrowed my search in a tractor purchase down to a JD 990 (about 3200 lbs without a FEL and filled tires), a Kubota L 4400 (about 3200 lbs) and a Kioti DK 35 or 40 (weight 3600 and 3800 lbs).
The horsepower for the JD is 40, the Kubota is 45, and the Kiotis are 35 and 40. The tractor will be used for general field work, plowing, cultivating, etc, mowing in my fields and loader work. Is the extra weight of the Kiotis important for what I want to do and does the extra weight mean a better quality product with better, heavier duty components?

/ Does Weight Equate to Quality in a Tractor? #2  
Weight will help in situations requireing maximum traction.

Weight is no indication of quality. In fact it may be construed that the heavier castings are made from a form of weaker steel. This means they have to be larger for the same ultimate strength charackteristics.

All steels are not created equal! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Does Weight Equate to Quality in a Tractor? #3  
No. Weight is good for ground engaging equipment but not necessarily for mowing.

/ Does Weight Equate to Quality in a Tractor? #4  
It can, but not necessarily. Usually if something is built from heavy material it will be more robust.

/ Does Weight Equate to Quality in a Tractor? #5  
What makes a quailty tractor is how smooth it operates, how it feels in the seat, what kinda specs it has. We don't see modern tractors breaking physical axle or transmission housings any more (okay, with a few execptions - we just had one that a tree fell on). Weight is a overblown figure. If you really need more - you can always add it. In tractors this size you can easily add 1000lbs to the tires and even more on the 3pt hitch. My experience has been that excess weight is not always desiable because it makes a machine more slugish to drive.

/ Does Weight Equate to Quality in a Tractor? #6  
Also manufactures vary when it comes to listing weights. Some are listing a field ready weight with all fluids and some are listing a dry weight.

MarkV

/ Does Weight Equate to Quality in a Tractor? #7  
Weight may not add to the quality of the machine. Having said that, the LACK OF WEIGHT could very possibly detract from the usefullness (not quality) of any particular tractor that needs traction for any purpose. For me, I want a tractor that can use all the available HP that I have decided to purchase. A lighter 40 hp tractor is no better than a heavy 25 hp, if the 40 spins out from lack of traction while only using 25 of its avial hp. BobG in VA

/ Does Weight Equate to Quality in a Tractor? #8  
I agree with Egon 100 per cent, weight has nothing to do with the quaility of the tractor.Weight can certainly be an advantage or in some cases a disadvantage.In what you seem to be indicating for the use of the tractor anyone of the ones you have listed with 4wd ,loaded tires should do you just fine. It is a big misconception when people buy a tractor thinking because it is heavier it is better quality. in some cases the very opposite is true.Find a good dealer and tractor with a proven track record, let the dealer know exactly what you will using the tractor for and you should be just fine.
God Luck,
Herb

/ Does Weight Equate to Quality in a Tractor? #9  
Oleozz,
Your statement </font><font color="blue" class="small">( The tractor will be used for general field work, plowing, cultivating, etc, mowing in my fields and loader work.)</font> tells me the heavier tractor will fit you better. Most of these chores make additional weight a plus for you. However, quality and weight are two different components and do not necessarily equate.

MessickfarmEquip makes a good point about quality and being able to add weight. I would personally compare the features, hp, lift ability etc. Assuming these are all equal (which they won't be, of course) my personal choice is to go with the heavier tractor which should be designed to to carry that extra weight.

/ Does Weight Equate to Quality in a Tractor? #10  
Weight has nothing to do with quality of the tractor...weight comes into play when the tractor is used in different situations for different purposes...if using ground engaging equipment or operating where maximum traction is a must, then weight could definitely play a part in your decision. All the units you mentioned are fine units.

BC