Kubota vs Mahindra

/ Kubota vs Mahindra #1  

knightj

I have been looking for a 60(ish) horse tractor for a few months and have narrowed the search down to the Kubota M6800 and the Mahindra 6500. Both models with 4wd and FEL. The Mahindra is around 4,000.00 less than the Kubota, and Mahindra is new to the area. Is there anyone out there who has had a Mahindra for a few years ?

This is also the first time I have purchased a new tractor and I'm not sure how much mark up a tractor typically has. I haven't done any serious face to face negotiating, but the Kubota dealer is not budging much. I have a 2510 Long 2wd with a Bush Hog FEL only 625 hours that I would like to trade in. I have a price of 18,000 and my tractor from Mahindra and 22,000 and my tractor for the Kubota. Does this sound reasonable ??

/ Kubota vs Mahindra #2  
There are a few things that are going to make the kubota more expensive - the transmission for one. Its a 8x8 shuttle, usually hydraulic clutchless vs an 8x2 gear drive. Generaly there is about a $1600 cost difference here when you have both options on the same machine. Mahindra lists 11gpm for the hydraulic system, i assume this is total output since they don't say. The M5700 has 17.1 gpm, end result is that your implements will cycle much faster and you have enough flow to run hydraulic motors. Again, a cost difference here. You'll also find that the kubota loader will out lift the Mahindra by a small margin at both the loader and 3pt. You don't find these things on spec sheets, but it looks as if Mahindra is not using plantary front axles, wet breaks, and a hydraulic PTO - otherwise they would point these things out. To give credit where credit is due, the 6500 does have more engine Hp and is heavier if thats what your looking for. In summary, there is usually a reason when Kubota is not within a few hundred $$ of any competition. Tractors like the MX5000 would be much more compriable, however right now the standard series AG tractors stop at 50Hp.

/ Kubota vs Mahindra #3  
I'm not sure what Messick is trying to say, but the 6500 Mahindra 4WD does have 8 X 8 shuttle shift, combined with a completely syncro trans; it does have wet brakes; the hydraulic system is 11 gals/minute, but it has a separate hydro pump for the steering (I think about 5gal/min for that one). For those interested in the technical side, the hydro pumps are tandem units--one hooked right behind the other. And, oh yeah, the front axle on the 6500 is planetary (designed by Antonio Carraro of Italy). I'll stop there for now, but don't let someone pass off any tractor as better than another before you get the straight stuff. BobG in VA

/ Kubota vs Mahindra #4  
I stand corrected, I spent several minutes on their website looking over the details and I came away with a rather different impression.

/ Kubota vs Mahindra #5  
If Bob is correct, and I have no reason to think he's incorrect, Mahindra needs to update their specs for the 6500 on the website ( 6500 Spec Sheet ). It lists the following in contradiction to Bob's statements:

Transmission: Constant Mesh, 8 forward, 2 reverse (is that the same as shuttle shift?)

Brakes: Fully enclosed dry disc

Hmmm...

[EDIT] Ah... Now I see... If you look at the top part of that spec sheet, it does list 8x8 shuttle shift, wet disc brakes, and independent PTO as standard on 4WD models.[/EDIT]

BR

/ Kubota vs Mahindra #6  
Yes, as the M6800 is a 4WD (I assume thats the case), it wouldn't be right to rank a 2WD against it. When Messick mentioned Planetary gears he had to be talking about 4WD so that's why I responded. BobG in VA

/ Kubota vs Mahindra #7  
Have done the research on 35hp,4wd, went with Mahindra. Due to the weight of the tractor. Check out the weight difference between the two.

/ Kubota vs Mahindra #8  
im sorry, but an mx5000 is cool as heck but not in the same class as a 6500 4wd. he is right to compare the bigger kubota to the 6500.

/ Kubota vs Mahindra
Anybody out there that has had 1-3 years experience with the Mahindra ?? I will be cutting 70acres of Hay and feeding 5x5 rolls of hay in the winter, plus other general uses.

/ Kubota vs Mahindra #10  
i have a 4500 2wd and it could handle that, i wouldnt be able to run a large round bailer but the 6500 can. you could easly handle 1500# round bails without any counter weight on the back. i think the m5700 is a 50hp so you might want one size up in hp to run a round bailer in kubota.