Determining the condition of a used tractor

/ Determining the condition of a used tractor #1  

frank29

Bronze Member
I have my eyes on a new tractor. I think the price is fair. But, as you guys know, new tractors are big bucks. I am going to sit on the fence for a couple of months to let the cobwebs clear.....when I make the purchase, I want to be to be confident in my purchase.....right now, I just WANT IT.

I am using this down time to look at my options, both new and used. This brings me to my dilemna: can a tractor novice determine the condition of a used tractor?

I started working at the age of 13 (paper route)....bought an oxy/acyt torch when I was 14....rebuilt engines and transmissions when still a teenager....I have never taken a car to a mechanic.....I feel very confident in judging the condition of cars. Everybody in my family calls me if they have a question about a problematic dryer, furnace, car or whatever.

Can I parlay this general mechanical aptitude into correctly judging the condition of a tractor?

/ Determining the condition of a used tractor #2  
i was kind of in the same situation as you before i bought a new tractor. the way i see it is that smoke &noise are smoke & noise no matter how you look at it, but even the most beat up machine can be dolled up to look like a million bucks. you just never know with a used one. i looked at a massey at a local dealer who swore up and down that he needed 10900 for his used 1035 when i talked to him in person, but when i checked his web site later in the day low and behold it was there for 8900. kind of turned me away from dealing with him for good as this was not an honest mistake on his part. i know i was there! as good as i am at fixing things its sometimes a blessing to go out and work a machine without having to worry about repairs and i know i don't have to do this for 2 years. i can go out and enjoy myself and use my tractor as it was intended. granted all things break sooner or later but a warranty sure is nice to have. as for pricing used tractors seem to hold there value quite well as the massey i looked was a 1991 and a used jd 970 i looked at for 12200 was also a 1991. i bought my 2005 machine brand new for 11400. kind of makes you wonder sometimes. for me the pros about a new tractor won me over. hope my pennys worth helps.

/ Determining the condition of a used tractor #3  
Frank29
You probably have a leg up on most 'brand new' newbie tractor buyers, with your previous experince in other areas.
I'd just say, to keep in mind you will get what you pay for. Some say you pay for the color of the paint, but color is only skin deep and its what's underneath and the company backing the product that you will pay for. As well, the used market will be your best indicator of the long-term value of any product.
Good luck hunting, and I wish you well with whatever you get.

Much like cars and trucks. The ones that don't hold up are the ones you can pick up for a cheap price on the used car/truck lots.

/ Determining the condition of a used tractor #4  
I think your experience is directly applicable. On used stuff finding hay tightly wrapped around axle shafts to hide leaking seals might be different from automotive.

Work, not just test ride tractors. Volunteering to help a neighbor is a quick way to build familiarity and decide things like size, a cab requirement and attachments.

I spent about 2 yrs kicking tires looking new/used etc.

On resale values look at both % and actual cash dollars. "Off brand" tractors may have a lower % resale but also start at a lower purchase price equalizing the actual cash dollar depreciation if you sell.

Used tractor blue book is a reference and talk to dealers as some tractor models are resold before being traded in & never see the used lot. My local JD dealer purges stagnant inventory by shipping them to auction lots or Mexico.

Another local dealer has a collection of used Fords, Olivers, Belarus etc. He rents them out to contractors/farmers needing an extra tractor short term. Sometimes someone applies the rental fee and purchases one. His business model has a completely different turnover velocity. I've seen tractors on his lot for over 2 years vs JD more like 6 weeks.

Parts availability is important if you intend to keep the tractor long term. Some more popular tractors create an active aftermarket manufacturing segment for dealer NLA's or at less cost. Check out JD 2 cylinder club or Allis Chalmers as examples.

One thing to do before you buy is call the tractors you are considering parts dept's for pricing & availability for significant parts like an injector or hydraulic pump, wheel bearings, valves. Parts & service manuals pricing could be an eye opener. Some manufacturers are mighty proud of their parts pricing.

Main thing is keep having fun /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Determining the condition of a used tractor #5  
<font color="blue"> </font> [*]I'd just say, to keep in mind you will get what you pay for.

I like to put it in a slightly different form.

<font color="green"> You sometimes get what you pay for.
You never get what you don't pay for. </font> /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif