What would be the BEST rough terrain tractor?

/ What would be the BEST rough terrain tractor? #31  
Yep...with that kinda terrain I would go with a crawler. There used to be lots of "farm" crawlers available with 3-points hitches and PTO. I am sure someone still makes one. Maybe Deere? A wheeled tractor would be a little sketchy on the terrain you have. Of course if the tractor was really wide it might work....but I would be very nervous with a loader.

/ What would be the BEST rough terrain tractor? #32  
A lot of bigger tractors are available with tracks instead of wheels, but I think that's for flotation, not stability on slopes.

/ What would be the BEST rough terrain tractor? #33  
As an owner of a Power Trac PT425, I'd say those slopes are too steep for that model. The tractor could climb them, but it couldn't do any work while climbing them. The limitations are the light weight and the engine's oil system is not made for angles over 20-25 degrees. It is not the right sized machine for those slopes and jobs mentioned. He'd be better off looking at their dedicated slope mowers that are meant for extreme slopes. The beauty of the Power Trac system is the quick attach. You can change unpowered implements in 15 seocnds without leaving the operator's seat. Powered implements require a trip to the front of the tractor to connect the hydraulics. That's it.

Personally, I'd look at a tracked loader instead of a tracked dozer. I looked at one several years ago. I believe it was a Deere 350 or something like that. It was a tracked loader with wider tracks and a 3Pt hitch. The loader bucket was a 4-in-1 so it could do a bit of dozing, grapple work and material hauling as well as run a brush hog, backhoe or any 3pt implement. Nice setup. I've seen several similar setups in the equipment traders websites and such.

/ What would be the BEST rough terrain tractor? #34  
I'll throw this out there for giggles:

Nortrac Dozer

I have a friend with one and he spends a lot of time replacing pins on the tracks, otherwise it seems to work OK.

/ What would be the BEST rough terrain tractor?
I've seen those Nortracs. It's a good idea, but . . . somehow I'm guessing the quality isn't up to snuff.

/ What would be the BEST rough terrain tractor? #36  
I looked at those, sold a lot to West coast landscapers because of small size. The tracks are not hardened so they constantly stretch. Owners manual says to remove a link to maintain adjustability. The Northern HQ has a setup facility for the Chinese tractors, excavators, and dozers in MN. They will let you test drive their inventory. Also had some returns with 50-100 hours selling at a discount. I saw a picture of one with a loader out front, dozer blade behind bucket and a 3pt on the back! Definitely multifunctional. They are easy to trailer at 6-7K lbs.

One good point of the smaller machine is in the worst case event of breakage, rollover or getting stuck it would take less to get the thing out.

A loader JD 350 will have a slightly higher center of gravity and less aggressive rounded grousers. The tracks are designed to spinout instead of stressing the undercarriage.

Consider making the trails significantly wider than machine width. The edges of the soil are more likely to give way than the center of built up areas. Depending on your soil type a sheepsfoot or a vibratory roller might help stabilize the new work.

/ What would be the BEST rough terrain tractor? #37  
I think this one wins. Found it under the construction forum.
Not exactly a tractor but I think it would work on the slopes pretty well.

web page

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I think this one wins. Found it under the construction forum.
Not exactly a tractor but I think it would work on the slopes pretty well.

web page )</font>

Like that one?
You should see the Menzi Muck.
muck1.JPG

The manufacturer's site has some incredible video.

/ What would be the BEST rough terrain tractor? #39  
From past experience just getting the land where you can see it helps a lot. We have found out not turning over any more soil than needed keeps the erosion to a minnimum. The first thing I would do is get rid of some/most of the scraggly small diameter trees. We used a setup like the "right of way" folks use (An old surplused 1960's GA DOT cutter). Clear a few spots to pile bigger diameter trees and run over the rest with the huge cutter. Anything left big enough, put into pile. What is eventually left is short stubs that can be cut down a little further if the ground is not to rough or rocky. Not turning up the dirt made for a lot less mud. We have a lot of land from Atlanta north to TN and NC that looks like your non winter shots from all the tornados some of which were spawned from the hurricanes in the past 10 years, and some that look that way after the pulpwood harvesters leave. You stand back and look and don't know where to start. Back to tractors, most of the right of way tractors are New Holland's, don't know why . Cobb County Tractor north of Atlanta was setting up a few 2 weeks ago, by removing rear fenders/ROPS/tires/wheels and replacing with a heavy duty cage. Rear tires were re-capped aircraft tires and about 6' tall and 3'+ wide on a small diameter rim. The wide tires made them look very stable. The mowers looked like they could cut down light poles. The friends I mentioned above have property that backs up to an underground gas line on the east and high voltage power lines to the south and we have followed up on a few sections behind the RoW folks with my and my friends tractors with 5' and 6' brush hogs and the property looks about like Your neighbors property You pictured, although the grass is not high quality, mostly weeds/field grass. Good luck and get started while the weather is cool and no yellow jackets/wasps.

Good info! Thanks.

You're referring to the WoodsBoss tractors that CobbCountyTractor makes. They start with a TB series New Holland. I called a few months ago and grilled the sales guy. Problem with that super-duty cage is that it mounts where your FEL normally would. So . . . no FEL on those. But I love those aircraft tires. They make the tractor look mean! And hopefully it would perform.
wb2.jpg

Clearly, I've searched all over the internet for more info!! I'm an information junky!

Now what type of DOT cutter were you referring to?