I think it's getting close.

/ I think it's getting close. #1  

daTeacha

Veteran Member
I think it\'s getting close.

Well, I have narrowed it down to 3 strong prospects, so am wondering what the collective opinions might be. I can go with one of the following and pretty well fit all my parameters:

1) A JD 770 with 600 hours, a brand new loader, brand new Ag tires and a full set of turf tires. 2000 lbs -- Just under $11k

2) A new Case DX23 3x9 gear, 16" Ags (9.5 x 16 rears), loader, 1900 lb? on A-plan for $13,500

3) A new Mahindra 2615 3x9 gear, 24" Ags I think, loader 2400 lb $14,900

4) A new Mahindra 2015 2x6 gear, 16" ags, 1900 lb. $12,700

Aside from color preferences, which do you guys think is the best deal? The 770 never had a loader on it, so I presume it was used as a mower. From what I can tell, the engine is in great shape, the sheet metal is fine, the paint is not faded, the seat is fine. It has been stored inside when not in use.

The red ones come with a warranty, the green does not. The green one would have two sets of wheels and tires, the reds would not. The Mahindra dealer is in the school district, the others are not. The Mahindra dealer is new, but is doing fine, has been in the tractor business for 18 years, and is finally going out on his own. The suppliers of the equipment he sells are backing a move to a bigger facility, so it looks like he's here to stay. The other two dealers have been around here a long time and have good reputations.

The tractor will be used for woods work, barnyard work, firewood work, driveway maintainence, etc. I will not mow with it, will not be on the road with it. Mostly it will be driving slowly around in the woods on slanted ground where my B7100 seems a little tippy but has otherwise proven able to do what I asked of it.

/ I think it's getting close. #2  
Re: I think it\'s getting close.

Well Teacha, I got your response earlier, and thanks! Sounds like your needs are close to mine. I wouldn't bother with the smaller Mahindra, I think you'll outgrow it very quickley, plus ground clearance is limited if you're out in the woods, fairly low HP as well. I also considered Mahinda for a week or two, either the 2615 or 3015. But as you know, I chose the Massey. They been around forever and will hold their value better than the Mahindra, atleast in my mind. Plus I have read so.me threads here about some Mahindra dealers discontinuing the line after a few years which left the guys driving 90 miles to their next close dealer. Tough choice, I feel your pain! But good luck!
Think B.A.M.F. (Bad A-- Massey Ferguson)

/ I think it's getting close. #3  

Which do I think is the best choice.......NONE.

Get another Kubota. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ I think it's getting close.

I know, I know. The Case dealer also sells Kubotas. That's a big part of my problem making up my mind. I've looked pretty hard at the B7800, 26230, and 3030. The seats don't work real well for my carcass, but I know I'll need to look again before I open my wallet. My B7100 is a tough little tractor and I can't help but think a bigger one would be just as good. The dollar question also comes into play. It always seems that whatever I've looked at most recently moves to the top of the list. I probably need to revisit the Agco store, too, but then I'm starting all over.

/ I think it's getting close. #5  

I think the Mahindra 2615 gear is the most tractor for the money. Built by Mitsubishi in Japan, the quality is at least on par with the Japanese built John Deere, which is to say it is very good. Typically we sell it with the wide R4 tires, which are 15 x 19.5 rears. It's a big tire. Tractor and loader weigh 3000 lbs.

Mahindra is here to stay. Phenominal growth and an extremely strong parent company with an aggressive growth posture. Unfortunately some dealers come and go, and for various reasons. In the last 18 months, we have had 2 Kubota, 1 John Deere and 1 New Holland dealer go out of business within 40 miles of us. So it is not just the lesser known brands that go through changes, although the smaller dealers do tend to be more vulnerable.

As far as resale, show me a Mahindra within 250 miles of us that suffers from poor resale and I'll pay cash for it in a hurry. Now I know that in some areas where there is not yet much brand recognition, that the diminished resale will be a reality, but those areas are getting fewer.

The 2015 Mahindra uses the S3L engine, which is rated at 23HP in every other tractor or device they are install into. For some reason, they are under-rated at 20HP, yet our dyno tells us 23HP when tested. So if 23HP is enough, the 2015 will do the job. It weighs about 2500 with the loader.

I will say that each of the models you are considering will do a fine job, there really isn't a bad one in the bunch. The JD770 hasn't been built for a few years, so you might ask what year it is. Just don't shy from a Mahindra because it isn't green or orange.

/ I think it's getting close. #6  

Dave:

Personally, I think that you should sell DeTeacha a Mahindra right off your showroom floor, at dealer cost and then proceed to ship it to North East Ohio and pay the freight. Hopefully, it will have a comfortable seat. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ I think it's getting close.

The 2615 seems like a lot more tractor for the price difference. He's had one there in the past, but never when I stop in. They seem to move out pretty quickly, which is a good thing to know. I compared it with a 2310 and wonder why they even sell the 2310. The 2615 seems better in about every way except the shuttle tranny that you can't get in the 15 series.

/ I think it's getting close. #8  

Well, you haven't narrowed it down at all! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I like saving money, so the 770 with loader for 11k sounds like a deal. If it was just a mower tractor, then 600 hrs is nothing. I'm not sure about the two sets of tires thing. If you are thinking about switching them out from time-to-time, I'd be very concerned about loading the ags. Probably would go with straight water so that it could be released before you try to manhandle them around. Don't hurt yourself. Now, if you are willing to go as high as 15K, let's see... new 790 with loader, or new TC30 with loader... Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ I think it's getting close. #9  

For 2,500 I would go for the Case over the John Deere. 600 hours isn't much but why did the owner sell it in the first place. For $2,500 you will have a full warranty. Yes the Deere has a second set of tires but how often would you actually change them out. Just get R4's and be done with it.

murph

/ I think it's getting close. #10  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The 2615 seems like a lot more tractor for the price difference. He's had one there in the past, but never when I stop in. They seem to move out pretty quickly, which is a good thing to know. I compared it with a 2310 and wonder why they even sell the 2310. The 2615 seems better in about every way except the shuttle tranny that you can't get in the 15 series. )</font>

They don't sell the 2310 anymore and haven't for a year or more. By the way, they do have a shuttle on the 15 series now, as the new 3215-4wd is available in an HST or a shuttle.