what HP tractor do I need

/ what HP tractor do I need #1  

ELEE24

hi I,m new to the tractor seen. Just purchased 20 acres. I've been looking at tractors gone to tractor shows and I'am very confused on what size tractor I need. Let me tell you alittle about what I want to do with the tractor. The 20 acres is basiclly cleared my drive way is goinging to be around 600 ft. long. I want to bush-hog about 10- 15 acres and finish mow 5-10 acres. I need to maintain my drive way in the winter and would like to use it to help build it. Building a new home so going to have alot of land scaping and lawn leveling. Any sugetions on what size tractor I would need. this is my first tractor so I really want to do it right . I'v been looking at kubota, kioti and new holland.
Thanks

/ what HP tractor do I need #2  
I would be looking for something between 30 and 50hp. I would want a tractor that could handle a 6-7ft bush hog. That way you do not spend 6 hours mowing with anything smaller. If you plan on ground engaging work, then you might need the higher HP range.

Good luck,

Joe

/ what HP tractor do I need #3  
Ditto....30hp min would be my guess. I have 20 ac to hog and i wish i could have afforded a 35-40hp, but i got as much as my wallet could handle. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

RD

/ what HP tractor do I need #4  
I used an old 25 hp ford for many years on my 90 acres and I was supprised at how much work it was asble to do. I purchased a 35 hp with four wheel drive and while the horsepower is only 10 more, the four wheel drive makes a big difference. I think you would be happy with any unit in the 30 to 40 hp range with four wheel drive.

/ what HP tractor do I need #5  
I would think you will have to balance the finish mowing size and bushoging/moving dirt HP to come up with a compramise.

As others 30 to 40 HP.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ what HP tractor do I need #6  
I think you will want something nimble and manuverable for all the mowing you will be doing, especially the weekly finish mowing on your lawn. I would be concerned about the turning radius of your compact, the tire tread, and then the hp. I mowed my lawn for years with a 28 hp JD and it did fine and also maintained my 100 acre farm with it. I would think that a 30 to 35 hp tractor would be ideal for your needs and should be thrifty on the diesel fuel.

/ what HP tractor do I need #7  
On the small end of the size ranges quoted, look real hard at the New Holland TC33. The ergonomics are nice, the reputation is good, the seat is great and you'll be spending a fair amount of time on it. Try sitting on any one of the tractors you have in mind for about 20 minutes and see what hurts or doesn't. Just sit there, you don't need to drive it to get an idea about how it might fit.

/ what HP tractor do I need #8  
Since You don't have a lawn now, you might consider buying a tractor that will do the heavy work now and in the future possibly a Zero Turn Mower for the "finish mowing" if you in fact end up with that much grass.

It might be cheaper in the long run. to buy a tractor capable of the heavy work and have one that wouldn't tear up the finish work surface without changing tires migh be difficult. It would certainly require some comprimise on your part.

/ what HP tractor do I need #9  
I would set on them all see how they feel. I think a Ck30 would do you fine. Very nice tractor and feature rich. Also I would look at the bota's nice tractors.

/ what HP tractor do I need #10  
You did not mention John Deere, but they have the 5003 models that are a great deal. The 5103 (50 hp) gear drive is about 12,5K new. Check them out, they are great tractors.

Attachments

• 833486-Crazy Frog Pictures 004 (3).jpg
    833486-Crazy Frog Pictures 004 (3).jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 180