pto CHIPPER shredder?

/ pto CHIPPER shredder? #1  

Ramairfreak98ss

Silver Member
Tractor
Ferris/Simplicity/John Deere
Ive always been able to use one, have had enough jobs people have requested it, but couldnt spend only $1k or under on a cheap unit and couldnt see spending 2-3k for a professional one, a PTO unit would be great, nothing huge but maybe to take 4" diameter stuff into it

Who makes them? what PTO HP rating would you need?

/ pto CHIPPER shredder? #2  
They are make by many manufacturers. One thing to keep in mind, a 4" unit works well on stright branches, if you try to chip branches with bends or kinks in them, they won't go thru a 4" chipper.

/ pto CHIPPER shredder? #3  
I would suggest doing a search. Your question has been the subject of numerous threads with lots of valuable insight.

/ pto CHIPPER shredder? #4  
You can get both a Jinma and a MacKissic for around $1,500-1,700. The MacKissic is best price from Northern Tool. Think Jinma will do 4". Mac will do up to 3".

Lots of thread on these and evals.

Ralph

/ pto CHIPPER shredder? #5  
The Jimna (Farm Pro, etc.) will do 6" .... provided you have the HP ..... 6" is a bit of a stretch with my B2910 (22 PTO HP) ...... unless it's old and rotting .... or an extremely short length (under 4' long.)

/ pto CHIPPER shredder? #6  
Met a guy this morning who left our meeting to go to Richmond to pick up his Chinese chipper. Said it would do 6". He actually didn't know the name of it. I'm sure it must be a Jinma.

He has 25, 51 and 80 hp tractors. Told him he'd probably need his 51 or 80 hp one. Mine virtually never bogs doing up to 3" with my 18.5 hp. Think you prorate by squaring the diameter ratios to determine hp for diameter. Six inch would require 4 times more hp. This is for a full diameter hardwood or softwood where it cuts it fast.

Ralph

/ pto CHIPPER shredder? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You can get both a Jinma and a MacKissic for around $1,500-1,700. The MacKissic is best price from Northern Tool. Think Jinma will do 4". Mac will do up to 3". )</font>

Do remember that the Macs are chipper/shredders. The Jinma and tha like are chippers only. Depends on your needs.

Cliff

/ pto CHIPPER shredder? #8  

I bought a used Woods 5000 Chipper Shredder late last fall and used it briefly on my BX-2200. It was tight getting a PTO shaft on it but it seems to work well with the relatively small stuff I fed it before retiring it for the winter. Can't say I challenged it greatly but it did fine so far and the chips are great.

I bought a chute to direct the chips at Leinbach over Christmas, which I need since the chip/shred builds up FAST under the machine and the mfr does not recommend using the hitch to hold it off the ground while operating.

BTW, Ralph, Master Gardner (a great program of Va Tech Extension), would you consider coming to Fluvanna to advise us on our boxwoods? Pm me if so, thanks, or if it is too far, could you recommend someone?

More to come,

Jim