Kubota L4400 vs. Montana 4940

/ Kubota L4400 vs. Montana 4940 #1  

npaden

Platinum Member
Tractor
2011 LS U5030C
Okay, I've been shopping for a used loader tractor for almost a year and can't find what I consider a reasonably good tractor at a reasonable price. I have 42 Acres, 1/2 mile gravel driveway, main useage for tractor is smoothing the driveway, mowing weeds, etc.

I currently have a 1945 Farmall M that does a great job but I really want a front end loader and live hydraulics and live PTO would be nice.

I called up the Local Montana dealer and they quoted me $25,000 for a 4940 with a front end loader. $29,900 with a cab.

I called the local Kubota dealer and they quoted me $19,500 for a L4400 4wd with a front end loader and no cab. I really wasn't planning on getting a cab anyway. They also have some 0% and 1% interest deals going.

I've always heard good things about Kubotas and the local dealer has been around forever. I feel like the Montana dealer was just shooting a number and I would have to wheel and deal with them to get a real price.

I would like to get some input on these 2 tractors and if the prices are in line or not.

Thanks in advance.

Nathan

[EDIT] I have a 6' light duty rotary mower that I use with my M and a 7' blade for grading. From what I understand a 40 - 45 hp tractor is the range that I need to stick with to continue to use those implements and that also seems reasonable for the size of property that I have [/EDIT]

/ Kubota L4400 vs. Montana 4940 #2  
$19,500 Sounds very reasonable for the Kubota. I didn't think Montana tractors sold that high, sounds like the Kubota is a sweeter deal.

Just my 2 cents.

BC

/ Kubota L4400 vs. Montana 4940 #3  
i just took delivery of a montana 4340 last week. i shopped around also and found the montana had the biggest bang for the buck. the kubota L4400 had no extra hydraulics,the 4 spd. shifter is on the deck in front of the seat, and the for./rev. as well as the high/low range is to the left of you and out of sight so you would have to look for it all the time [in my opinion]. the bucket is also smaller with less weight capacity. for me the montana made more sense at less money .

/ Kubota L4400 vs. Montana 4940 #4  
In this area the 4400's are selling for around $19,000 with a 703 FEL.

/ Kubota L4400 vs. Montana 4940 #5  
Paid 21,400 in jan. for 4940 no cab. Looked hard at the 4400 and mx5000 too.

KB

/ Kubota L4400 vs. Montana 4940 #6  
hi, how much was a 4340 if you don't mind saying? thanks

/ Kubota L4400 vs. Montana 4940 #7  
28,000 here in canada with loader,pallet forks, and loaded rear tires. kubota got competitive only when they found out i had a montana coming out for a demo.

/ Kubota L4400 vs. Montana 4940 #8  
Just my two cents worth but I would by all means go with an established dealer even if it were a little more money.You want someone who is going to be there for you next week, next year, and many years ahead ,I have been that route once with a not of the top three when the dealer went under and not again.I have had three kubotas over the years and they sure have been great tractors for me.I'm not saying that there aren't others as good or maybe even better but for me it's kubota.I have the shifter in front on the platform on my 5700 and it sure isn't any problem for me.
Good luck
Herb

/ Kubota L4400 vs. Montana 4940
Thanks for the input so far.

I went and test drove a L4400 yesterday and the dealer really is good. Just left me with the tractor and the keys to mess around with it and went back inside.

I really would like a powershift vs. the GST but not sure I want to spend the extra $4,700 upgrade to a 4630 or whatever model it is that has the 12 speed shift on the fly powershifter.

I'm still on the fence between buying an older tractor or a newer one, but if I buy a new one it will probably be a kubota just because the dealer is so good.

Thanks, Nathan

/ Kubota L4400 vs. Montana 4940 #10  
Did you test the Montana?