100 acres - What to buy?

/ 100 acres - What to buy? #1  

ugh

I'm interested in a new tractor, Kubota or JD. What models and accessories should I be considering? The property has very high weeds and probably some sapplings now; two years growth and needs to be reclaimed.

I'll be planting hay mostly, maybe some soybean. What's a complete Kubota or JD package look like? Money is not a major concern. More importantly, I'd like something that will be dependable and handle well. HST is fine, but I am not afraid of gears either, whichever doesn't break.

Jason

/ 100 acres - What to buy? #2  
Are you going to be haying or farming it on a regular basis? Or what is the long term usage going to be?

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 100 acres - What to buy? #3  
If you are doing some row crops you likely need to look at 70+ HP 4 wd drive tractors. If it's just hay you can get by with 40-60 PTO HP 2 wd tractors. It is important because the selection of your tractor will affect the implements you will select to match you tractor.
You also need to give us some idea of the area of the country where you are going to conduct your farm operation.

/ 100 acres - What to buy?
I am leaning more towards hay. I may section off a small portion to farming. Suggestions for hay and forage equipment is welcomed.

I recently relocated to the South East US and am learning the ropes here. There seems to be long growing season, moisture is an issues here; that may make hay a challenge. I may end up cycling crops whether I like it or not.

/ 100 acres - What to buy? #5  
Are you going to plow or no-till your ground? How big a sprayer, plow, disk, subsoiler, planter, etc. would you likely use? How flat or hilly is your ground. Here where I live the equipment is a lot smaller than an hour west of me just because the ground there is flat and here it's hilly. Another concern is how large the time window for getting work done is. Big equipment gets it done quicker, but compacts the soil more. There are a thousand questions you need answers to.

I'd suggest contacting your local SCS office to see what kinds of things people are doing and go from there.

/ 100 acres - What to buy? #6  
I have the same amount of land that you have here in Pa. A fair amount of my ground is in CRP, do mowing, snow plowing, food plots for my preserve, etc. For years I used a 28 hp JD, am now moving up to a 45 hp tractor. I wanted hydraulics in the back, draft control for plowing, a FEL, good R1 tires, 4 wd, synchronized shuttle and transmission, and found that in the tractor I bought. I think a good tough Bush Hog will be essential for you with those sapplings and as far as tillage equipment the sky is the limit.

Good replies. I figured this is how the discussion was going to go before I posted. The property has got to be reclaimed and worked, so I will likely lease it to a local farmer, while I figure things out.

I am in a coastal VA/NC region, because of the sand and clay in the soil, I suspect lighter equipment is the way to go.

I will get back to you guys as I learn more; if you are interested.

/ 100 acres - What to buy? #8  
You really need to give more info. I have 100 acres and I've been getting by with a 25hp 2WD for 14 years. I plant small, mow when I can and take a lot of time. I am also looking for a new tractor. If you plan on round bales, I wouldn't look smaller than 50HP. If money is no object, get a 70+.

/ 100 acres - What to buy? #9  
From your replies so far I'd say a tractor +/- 75 HP would allow you all the different options you may encounter.

Size really is not a factor for compaction. It's PSI exerted on the soil that counts. Larger tractors usually have a larger footprint.

{ Note: I'm about 40 or so years out of date }

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Square bales are fine by me. Keeping things dry, rot and mildew free will be an issue; smaller square bales will be easier to handle and store. A 25hp may cut it.

My inclinations were pointing me towards the Kubota B7600 versus the Deere 4000 series of tractors. Are these too small or underpowered for hay and row farming? Will I end up on one of these thing all week?

Jason