Curved Loader & hood vs. Standard loader & hood

/ Curved Loader & hood vs. Standard loader & hood
Thanks everyone for the input. I was really looking hard at the CaseIH DX45 but I just found a used Kubota and pulled the trigger on it Friday.

I guess for $10,000+ in savings I'll live with the old style loader! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Curved Loader & hood vs. Standard loader & hood #22  
I noticed the length too while shopping. I thought it was peculiar to the CNH machines and something that allowed for clearance around the SS axle on the blue ones. My Case dealer could order out a Bush Hog or other after-market loader for the tractor.

Another oddity is bucket shape. On the DX26, the bottom of the bucket is forward of the top edge by about 7 inches or so. On the DX29 it isn't. The leading edge to side angle is pretty acute on the 26, almost a 90 on the 29. This ends up effectively lenthening or shortening the bucket, depending on your point of view. I welded up some deck plate to make an extension bottom and sides for the 'bota bucket, but the weight of the additional steel reduced the net weight capacity so much I was right back where I started so I took it apart.

/ Curved Loader & hood vs. Standard loader & hood #24  
If i wanted a plastic hood on a 15000$ machine I would get something more stronger.
I have had plastic hoods on other eqipument and they are not easy to repair.
Do a replacement cost and it may change your mind.
Regards
DGS

/ Curved Loader & hood vs. Standard loader & hood #25  
Oh yea much better view on the tractor. I own ck30hst Kioti with curved arm loader and love it. I use to own a bota 7800 what a difference with the view from a curved arm loader.

/ Curved Loader & hood vs. Standard loader & hood #26  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm not a fan of the curved look.
If I wanted a blimp I'd buy a blimp. )</font>

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Oh no, not that bimp thing again. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I'll admit that the curved loader arms is an acquired taste. Also, it does take a higher grade of steel or engineering in production because they seem to inherently be a bit less strong than the traditional loader arms. I'll likely eventually go with the curved loader arms because of the increased visibility, but I'll let others figure out what designs are strong and which designs and grades of steel won't work. Yeah, I know, I'm not much of a team player with my money. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Curved Loader & hood vs. Standard loader & hood #27  
Dargo,

<font color="blue"> Also, it does take a higher grade of steel or engineering in production because they seem to inherently be a bit less strong than the traditional loader arms. </font>

A New Holland dealer explained to me.....the curved arm loaders were stronger because the curved arm was one piece construction, while the traditional dog leg style was more prone to fracture at the weld joints??? So....who's right?

Don

/ Curved Loader & hood vs. Standard loader & hood #28  
As I said Nathan, I am still trying to get used to the look myself, and some of the companies are trying to get past the logistics. I don't doubt that most will be curved in the future for the improved visibility.

/ Curved Loader & hood vs. Standard loader & hood #29  
I haven't had a chance to check out a curved arm machine in person yet. Where does the extra package space come from to slope the hood down? I assume the engine, radiator etc heights are all about the same for comparably sized machines. Is the back of the hood and platform/seat actually higher as opposed to the front of the hood being lower?

/ Curved Loader & hood vs. Standard loader & hood #30  
Timo take a look at the attached photos I took in my driveway. Both loaders are of roughly similar capacity. As for how they achieve the space savings, I think it is done by moving thing around, the battery is way in front, the radiator is set low, the fuel tank is held farther back.

As for some earlier discussion about strenght of curved arms, I think much of that may depend on the quality of the metal? Different metals have differnet properties, some are brittle, others not. To my knowledge 4 brands make 1 piece curved arm loaders. Kioti, Montana, Case and New Holland. Deere makes a 2 piece curved arm loader. The Case/New Holland loaders seem to be pretty trouble free. Some complain that they stick out farther than dog-leg loaders but I think that is due to the front axle designs used on C/NH products being set farther forward than on many other machines, especially true for their class 2 machines. It is exagerated even more on their products with the optional SuperSteer axle. Kioti has some reports of stress cracks on both models of their curved arm loaders. Montana is just introducing their curved arm loaders not much time in the field with those, I did look them over at the new dealer that opened up near by. Couldn't tell much from a visual inspection. Deere's 2 piece curved arm loaders seem strong but are not as good in the visibility category as the Case/New Holland loaders. Case/New Holland has some expensive machines but the quality seems to be high and they sure pay attention to ergonomic design.

Dargo wrote: </font><font color="blue" class="small">( Also, it does take a higher grade of steel or engineering in production because they seem to inherently be a bit less strong than the traditional loader arms. )</font>

Don wrote </font><font color="blue" class="small">( A New Holland dealer explained to me.....the curved arm loaders were stronger because the curved arm was one piece construction, while the traditional dog leg style was more prone to fracture at the weld joints??? )</font>

It is very possible both are correct. A higher grade of steel may be necessary in order to make a curved arm loader stronger? Perhaps that is why some brands have stress crack and some don't but all have impressive capacities?

Attachments

• 861301-download.jpeg
    861301-download.jpeg
    71.7 KB · Views: 145