biodiesel in which compact tractor?

/ biodiesel in which compact tractor? #1  

biodieseler

I am looking to get a tractor in the 30hp range to handle a variety of tasks on a 14 ac property on the island of Maui.
I would like to run whatever tractor we get on biodiesel, for lots of reasons, political, environmental, and the fact that there is a locally produced product that is usually the cheapest fuel on the island.
Of course, I don't want to ruin a perfectly good tractor with an inappropriate fuel. Does anyone run biodiesel in their tractor? What makes and models?
I understand that most problems are caused by rubber fuel lines and seals in the injector pump. Does anyone know what their tractor has? Ie, does your Kioti or your John Deere tractor have synthetic rubber in the fuel system?
Thanks.

/ biodiesel in which compact tractor? #2  
Check the case IH website. There was an article there about biodiesel. I think it has something to do with running a certain percentage biodiesel as being acceptable.

BC

/ biodiesel in which compact tractor? #3  
Yes, CaseIH is certainly pushing the use of biodiesel. My guess is that since rubber is less durable overall than the newer material (and the exact name is slipping my mind right now - too early), and all of the auto manufacturers stopped using rubber in 1995 due to the lower sulphur content in diesel fuels, my assumption would be that all diesel engine manufacturers have had to go that route. But you should do a little research before making any assumptions.

I've run as high as B100 in my 7.3L Powerstroke in my pickup, and run as high as around a B50 mix in my Shibaura in my little Case, with no ill effects in either motor. I would run 100% Bio in my diesels year round if:
1. we did not get cold temps
2. it was cheaper than regular diesel
3. I lived in Hawaii, like you do. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ biodiesel in which compact tractor?
Thankyou. Yes, I should check with the various manufacturers I am considering and see what they say their fuel lines and seals are made from.
I asked the local kioti dealer that question, without mentioning biodiesel, and his response was, "Don't use biodiesel!". He also sells Ingersoll Rand backhoes and says that he has had customers who put biodiesel in those and had nothing but trouble.
He didn't know what kioti use in their tractors, and didn't seem very interested to find out, simply assured me that he wouldn't guarantee anything to do with the fuel system or engine if I used bio... Which sucks, but he is the only dealer on this island who has given me any time at all. I can't get the others to even return my calls or send me the email quotes they promise! So, ****, whats a biodieseler to do?

/ biodiesel in which compact tractor? #5  
As I have posted before, my company is authorized Bosch Service for my area (western Massachusetts) and Bosch is the world's largest diesel system manufacturer.

I have talked with our tech support staff at length about htis question and I've converted some engines out here to run straight vegtable oil, and many to run bio.

The reason none of the vehicle manufacturers recommend bio is that the product is vague and unregulated. No2 diesel is a predictable commodity that has to met certain standards. Bio diesel fuels are less consistent and it is therefore hard to predict their long term effect on the motor.

We don't really know how the "additives" found in recycled cooking oil, for example, will react with oil in the crankcase or seals in the motor. Will that lead to early failures or wear? We don't know.

We have seen a number of instances where fuel systems were clogged by use of recycled cooking oils, and the costs of that can be high. So the processing of such oils is a matter of some concern if you plan to use them.

Blends of diesel fuel and fresh canola oil are more likely to behave in a predictable manner and not clog things but even then the effect on the rubber parts and long term effects of blow-by mixing with oil are unknown.

There are just too many combinations of bio sources to test them all, so to some extent you have to try them and see what happens. And most manufacturers won't warranty pump or injector failures that may result.

I do believe bio fuels are a good concept, but users today are the guinea pigs whose experiences will lead to design changes that will allow anyone to run it in 10 years. Hopefully you won't have too many problems.

/ biodiesel in which compact tractor? #6  
Does anyone know how long diesel fuel will last if it's blended, say B20? The guy that sells this is 45 minutes away. I would like to bring 4 or 5 5 gallon containers and store the fuel so I don't have to go back often. If this is a bad idea let me know. I probably will put no more than 100 hours on the tractor (when I get it - 30HP) between now and the end of the year.

Does B20 smell any less than standard diesel fuel when running your machine?

/ biodiesel in which compact tractor? #7  
biodiesel can be stored but cold weather can be a problem with congealing. there are many biodiesel websites where you can find info. i'd say that to store it as you plan during the summer is ok but in the winter is questionable.
i bought my kubota tractor from a dealer at ukiah california and there is a biodiesel refinery in that area...he said the stuff would clog the fuel filters (this was biodiesel refined from used vegrtable oil) altho the dealer did recommend using biodiesel made from new vegetable oil which was being sold by an oil/fuel distributor up the road.
i have run B100 in my 6.0 liter ford with no problem, but it was the new stuff.
if i were you in hawaii with cheap biodiesel available i would do as much research as possible and then make my decision.
maybe you could start running B20 and keep a close watch on your fuel filters???

/ biodiesel in which compact tractor? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( i bought my kubota tractor from a dealer at ukiah california and there is a biodiesel refinery in that area...he said the stuff would clog the fuel filters (this was biodiesel refined from used vegtable oil) altho the dealer did recommend using biodiesel made from new vegetable oil which was being sold by an oil/fuel distributor up the road.)</font>

One of the primary culprits in biodiesel clogging fuel filters is actually the fact that biodiesel is an excellent solvent. If you have a tractor that has run "petro"-diesel for any length of time, there will be sludge deposits in the tank and possibly in parts of the engine. Making the switch to biodiesel cleans these deposits out. Until they get cleaned out, expect to go through filters significantly more frequently. For this reason, some people making the switch to biodiesel put an extra cheap filter in the fuel line until they've run a few tankfuls through.

The other contributor to filter clogging is biodiesel that is not properly refined. The is a lot of variety in quality from one refiner to another. As someone else has already pointed out, historically there have not been widely accepted (or adhered to) standards in the biodiesel industry. When some one gets a "bad batch" it really gives the biodiesel industry as a whole a black eye. (in contrast, when you get a bad tank of gas in your car, you tend to blame the station you got it from first).

John Mc