JD 990 vs TC40A

/ JD 990 vs TC40A #1  

Hzgray

I've narrowed it down to these two tractors for my 17acres. The TC40A is about $1,000 more. I plan to bushhog, rototill, landscape and build/maintain a 700ft driveway. The specs seem better on the TC40 but something about the simpler JD appeals to me. Will the JD handle a moderate sized round bale on 3ph or FEL? Thanks.
Bill

/ JD 990 vs TC40A
Any thoughts as to how the 990 would handle a round bale if at all? Thank you for the assist.
Bill

/ JD 990 vs TC40A #3  
These are little tractors to move round bales. Each would be marginal on the 3ph and neither would be good on the fel. The TC40A could probably make the lift but would be dangerously unstable, while the 990 would also be lacking in hydraulic power. They are both good tractors for your other tasks. I think that the more modern TC40A is well worth the additional $1000 because of its larger hydraulic capacity and greatly improved forward vision for loader work. If you can possibly lay your hands on another $2000 and go for a JD 4120, moving them bales front or back will be a piece of cake.
Just remember, whatever your choice, to get them back tires loaded.

/ JD 990 vs TC40A #5  
How big are the bales we are talking about and what weight? Are they 5 ft alfalfa that weigh 2000 + or 5 foot prairie hay at 1000-1200? Are they smaller rounds? Exactly what we are tlking about makes a BIG difference here...

/ JD 990 vs TC40A
They would be ~1200 lbs or so. Since it seems like the bale would be hanging >24inches from the end of 3ph I didn't know how much one of these tractors could realistically carry.

/ JD 990 vs TC40A #7  
I have the prior version of the 990, I have the 970 and I move round bales with ease. These bales are stored inside they are 4x5 and 5x5 mixed grass. The first year I had the tractor I tried to lift 5x5 bales that were stored outside and baled tight. They were almost impossible to move. This tractor is slightly small for serious hay moving. I think it is at the limit on minimum for horsepower to run the small round balers. I do not have a FEL, I have a bale spear on the 3P hitch. I can actually pick the bails off of a 24 foot goose neck trailer from the sides by spearing low in the bail and getting them off a little and then backing up more to get the anti-roll spikes in the bail.

/ JD 990 vs TC40A #8  
Here's a picture of the Case D40, twin brother to the New Holland TC40 except for paint color. This round bale stayed raised on this tractor for two weeks until the dealer sold it. With loaded tires and weight on the 3ph, I handle round bales all the time with my TC45. I'm sure the TC40 will do a good job, but not so sure about the JD990. I'm not saying it can't, just that I don't know.

Case D40

EDIT: I should have said I handle round bales with the 16LA FEL and a quick-attach bale spear. I've even unloaded a 24' gooseneck stacked two high, side-by-side, from one side of the trailer. I had to be careful with the high bales (no fast movements with that weight up that high) but it handled them just fine - coastal bermuda.