Help choosing old small tractor

/ Help choosing old small tractor #1  

lcorrell

I have 5.5 acres with a 2 acre pond and long gravel lane. It is partialy wooded with a lot of grass to mow. I have lived here for 5 years and have been watching for a small tractor dirt cheap. I have several mowers already - that includes a Grasshopper 48" cut ztr, an old Ariens HT16, and a couple small MTD's. I want a tractor for the 3-pt and PTO to open the door for impliments. I want a front end loader. I want to be able to plow or till a decent garden, maybe some mowing, and take care of the driveway and landscaping. My land is a big bowl shape with the pond in the middle, so brakes, control, and stability on hills are important. I have came to the conclusion that I am not going to came accross that dirt cheap tractor, and due to recent heavy rains washing out my driveway I am considering a tractor purchase much more seriously.

I have found a local dealer who has several old fords - as in 9n, 2n, and 8n. He also has a Satoh S650G (25hp gas) with a loader. These are all just old used and abused tractors that don't look good, but are in working order. I really don't want to spend more than $2000 on a tractor. I can fix anything myself - so I am not affraid of a little work. The Fords are all just the tractor - no impliments and no loader. They range from $1350 to $1600 cash bottom dollar price. The Satoh has no attachments other than the loader and is priced at $2250 cash. I know nothing about tractors, so I am unsure what to do or look for. I have researched this site and others to learn what I can. It looks to me like the Satoh is better equiped than the Fords. The Satoh has dif lock, 2 speed PTO, and more transmission speeds. But, I also know that parts are very easy to come by for the old Fords. Heck, I can still get a lot of stuff in stock at my local Rural King for those.

I think the Satoh is the best deal for what I want in a tractor, but I don't really know. This has to be a cash deal - I'm not willing to finance, and I need some money left to get impliments so this is about all I can afford. I need your advice.

Also, my trailer is just a small single axle tilt. I think it's plenty big enough as far as length and width, but I don't know if it can handle the weight of these tractors? I think the tires are rated for like 1500lbs each. So does that mean this trailer can handle 3000lbs?

Thanks, Lee

/ Help choosing old small tractor #2  
I really dont think you will find much of a tractor with loader for $2000 . Either it will be all bent up cosmetically or internally in need of repair. My experience is to spend a little more and get a tractor u can do work with instead of a tractor you can do work on.

/ Help choosing old small tractor #3  
I was going to suggest a chinese tractor.. the low end of the line.. but most of those are in the 3900$ range. It's good that you are wrenchy.. the oldies and the chinese like a little bit of wrenching.

Of your other choices.. I'l admit.. i know little of the satoh.. however for the fords.. I am very familiar... and you can get nearly every nut and bolt for those fords either new or salvage. Of your choices between 9n / 2n and 8n.. I'd get the best condition one... preferably that would be a late model 8n, as it will have better hyds, and a tad more hp.. depending ont he vintage.. might have different reverse gear, different distribuitor setup, and better steering box, better axle seal setup. However.. for under 2000$.. hard to go wrong on a running N.

The N will run a 5' hog. If you have specific questions ont he fords, let me know.. I've got a 46 2n, 52 8n, 54 NAA, 55 660, and a 75 5000 ( also have had and have newer NH models... )

I've been in and out.. hyds rebuilds.. steering rebuilds.. etc. Just ask if you need info.

Soundguy

/ Help choosing old small tractor #4  
forgot to add.. N's weigh 2500# dry... single axle trailer is a bit small for that.. and dangerous...

Soundguy

/ Help choosing old small tractor #5  
Around here old Ford 9N, 2N and 8N's go for $2000-2500 without the loader. It's hard to find one for sale with a loader.

The local grey market tractor guys have Yanmar, Iseki, Bolens, etc. used tractors (diesels) ranging from $2200 to $5000 depending on engine size, not including the loader. They usually have cheaper tractors under $2000, but generally they engine needs work.

You can get a Koyker loader for most of these, but it'll cost you about $3-4K.

A new 4-ft-wide box blade (driveway maintenance, etc) will run about $375 (King Kutter from Tractor Supply Co.).

My rototiller is a used Yanmar RS1200 (4-ft wide, $300).

Rotary mowers (brush hogs) for tall weeds run around $675 (4-ft-wide KK from TSC).

If you want to do landscape mowing, your tractor needs turf tires and some kind of fine cut mower. These are pricy (>$1500 for the mower, $500-1000 for a set of turf tires).

I have a Kubota B7510HST with the LA302 loader ($12,600 last year new) that can handle a mid-mount mower (MMM) for landscape work. But my tractor came with ag tires as part of the deal, so to use it on the lawn I would have to buy a set of turf tires for it. My solution was to buy a $1000 lawn tractor (18HP Huskee from TSC with a 42" mower) and a $180 3-year service plan.

/ Help choosing old small tractor #6  
If you really want a loader, it sounds like the Satoh is the way to go. Ask a question in the Mitsubishi/Satoh forum about that particular model, and you're likely to get some specific answers.

Alternatively, you might consider a rear scoop. They are pretty handy, fairly inexpensive and should work on those Ford tractors you're looking at.

/ Help choosing old small tractor #7  
   / Help choosing old small tractor #8  
In my opinion, the N series Fords do not make a good loader tractor. The weight of the loader puts a lot of stresses on the steering and front axle. There is no power steering and the tires are narrow. You'll tend to sink pretty deeply into soft soil with a good load in the bucket. Don't get me wrong, there are loaders out there that fit, and there are Ns out there with loaders. I owned one with a Dearborn loader, and won't do it again. Just climbing onto the thing with the loader frame in the way is interesting.

Everyone living in the country wants a loader tractor, that's why they're worth so much. You can probably get along for quite a while with a rear blade and rear scoop. It isn't as handy as a loader, but it's going to be a whole lot easier to find and buy. I'd look for a late model 8N with side distributor and Sherman or similar Hi-lo transmission. If you can find a Ferguson it's the same thing but with an OHV engine instead of the flathead.

/ Help choosing old small tractor #9  
I would reccomend the ford n over the chinese especially at those prices because it will gain value as you own it and parts will always be easy to get. You probably won't find an 8n with a Sherman as their standard 4 speed trans was very adequate for most uses. If you intend to use a rear scoop in place of a fel, then a 9n or 2n with a Sherman high-low trans would probably be the best bet. Reverse on the 8n is a little too high speed for effective use of a rear scoop. Even without the Sherman, a 9n or 2n's lower speed reverse would be better for this use. As the others have said, the n's are great tractors but a poor choice for a fel. Also, when using that rear scoop in reverse, be sure to add stabilizer bars or you will likely bend up you lower links.

/ Help choosing old small tractor #10  
Keep in mind that late 8n's have a lower reverse gear than early 8n's. This can be determined by looking ont he left side of the tranny near where your left foot would rest.. if there is a bulge in the casting, and it is a late 52.. then the casting has been enlarged to accomodate the lower gear.

Soundguy