Research, research, research

/ Research, research, research #1  

qbert

Tractor
Kioti CK30
Hi Guys,

I'm a new member from Virginia. Born and raised in Fauquier but now in Caroline. I grew up on 20 acres using an 8n to bush hog and plow snow and plow a garden.

Now I'm older, on 5 acres in Caroline and using a 9n to grade the road and bushhog. Snow plowing gets done by my Jeep CJ5. That is if it ever snows here.

I am researching new tractors now since I've never had one. I have 5 level acres , fenced down the middle with 19 fruit trees arrayed in 3 rows plus grape vines right down the middle. About 1/2 acre has mature white pines that I have to cut around. The road frontage is 400 feet and it varies from a bank three feet high to one twelve feet high. Slope is enough to roll the tractor if you're not careful.

All I'll do is bushhog and drag the road from time to time but I'd like the capability to pull a double bottom plow and cut up to 15 acres in tha future all in a reasonable period of time. I guess I could use a loader too since everyone is pushing those now. I'm partial to real gears. And I really need a live PTO. A diesel is a necessity.

I'm not concerned with resale value but I do pull preventative maintenance so cost /availability of parts is a concern. If something breaks I really do not want to wait for a shipment that will take 2 weeks.

I have looked at JD 990, JD790, Kioti CK25/30, Mahindra 2615, Kubota L3130, Kubota B2630 and MF1428v.

All appear close in specs and the price difference between them all is not anything to be concerned with. In fact, the Kioti units and Kubota are so close as to be hard to tell apart.

The same dealer sells Mahindra and MF. The Kubota guy is maybe a mile down the road from him, same with JD. The Kioti guy is a 35 minute drive out in the country but that's tolerable. The MF guy tried to sell me some little CG2300 jobby. It was cute but looked like it would flip over backward if you put a bushhog on it.

So I'm thinking 26 to 30 HP. 5 foot bushhog, double bottom plow, 6 foot blade and an FEL. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

/ Research, research, research #2  
If you like the gear shifts, the Kubota L2800 is a lot of bang for the buck. The local dealer here is selling them for $13,900 with a loader.

/ Research, research, research #3  
Might also look at the Nh tc 30.. etc.

Soundguy

/ Research, research, research #4  
   / Research, research, research
Actually, the Massey CG2300 was pretty neat and it's pretty dang strong and looks like there is no way to turn it over unless you tried really hard. But for my long term plans it would not fit. A dealer in Ashland VA has one that was a trade in for a bigger tractor- it has a belly mower and a FEL all for like 9,500. The new one was $8695, belly mower was 1875 and the lift was 2575.

I looked at a Kubota L3400 yesterday. Nice unit. for 12,750. Lift was like 3,000. That dealer said that Kubota had sued Kioti for product infringement or something and that Kubota had won. Apparently Kioti was started by some former Kubota engineers. I'm not sure what this means but perhaps Kioti will have to change its designs?

/ Research, research, research #6  
All of the brands/models you mention are good units, in my opinion. I've been very pleased with my Mahindra so far (only have ~33 hours on it). If you haven't tested one, get a little seat time on it. It's definitely worth a serious look.

Later,

BR

/ Research, research, research #7  
Case/New Holland will be phasing out their DX or TC 29 and 33 hp models soon for bigger engines and slightly remodeled body styles. You might get a really good deal on one of those. Right now they are offering 0% for 36 months. I'm pretty well convinced that I need to get a DX29 but might end up with a slightly smaller and lighter 26.

Find the dealer that seems most comfortable for you. It won't be in just one visit, but if you spend enough time one dealer/tractor will eventually seem better than the rest. If you're in a hurry, all those you mentioned will be very capable of doing the job. It just comes down to what you personally like best.

I know that doesn't seem to offer much help, but it's just a reflection of the fact that the Compact tractor market is so competitive right now that any major brand product is good -- very good in fact. The things that separate one from another are mostly a matter of personal preference, ergonomics, etc. People get all worked up over small things that weren't even available back in the day. Find an established local dealer, get to know the sales guy, the parts guy, the service guys. Visit the shop. Ask what kinds of equipment they have out and where it is and what it's being used for. Again, if you're in a hurry, just go buy one -- they're all good enough to surprize you with their reliability and abilities.

/ Research, research, research #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( That dealer said that Kubota had sued Kioti for product infringement or something and that Kubota had won. Apparently Kioti was started by some former Kubota engineers. I'm not sure what this means but perhaps Kioti will have to change its designs? )</font>
What it means is that salesman doesn't have enough confidence in his own product to just simply tell you what it has to offer. He had to attempt to make you thing something is wrong with Kioti. The lawsuit was for trademark infringement over the closeness of the color, and some of the earlier designs were very similar to Kioti. There is no connection, supposedly never was, but the rumor persists. They're both great tractors.
I can easily see you using what I have, the CK20, but in the manual tranmission since you like gears. It has a mid PTO so you could get a belly mower if you want one. I wouldn't have one personally, but that's me.
Now the only concern with any of these brands, to me, would be how much rear tire spacing can you get for those slopes. If you get industrial tires on most brands, the width is set. Ag tires can be moved out some on most, for better stability, but this is something you need to consider. Try to get the dealers to bring a model you're interested in out to your place so you can see FOR SURE what is involved.
John

/ Research, research, research #9  
Howdy. Welcome to TBN.
Any of the tractors you are looking at are quite good.
I suggest you look closely at the dealer who you will think will give you the best support and still be in business in years to come.
I know this sounds strange, but consider the resale value of your potential purchase.
Around here the kubotas and John Deeres have very good resale values. The reason to consider resale values is that your needs can change and you may have to move up or down to suit your needs. A more popular tractor will help you if you think you might ever transition to something else.

obtw, New Holland are very nice, too. The NH-DA33 is comparable to what you're thinking about.

dwight