what is the best combo tractor?

/ what is the best combo tractor? #1  

rory_h

I've just purchased a 5 acre property that is almost all in closely cropped grass, so i need a really good finish mower. I also have alot of projects that i would like to do that would require a post-hole digging attchment and maybe a scoop on the front , so i guess i need something with a pto. I know that kubota has some compact tractors, that are also belly-mowers, but i wonder if that versatility would come at the expense of effecient mowing. it seem that for pure mowing it would be hard to beat one of those big zero-turn mowers, but i don't see any of those with a pto? Any one been down this road before? thanks for the feedback.
rory

/ what is the best combo tractor? #2  
Welcome to TBN. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I have a <font color="orange"> Kubota </font> B2910 tractor. It will run a 72" MMM. It will cut 2 acres a hour. This model has been replaced by the B3030.
The economy model is a B7800.

/ what is the best combo tractor? #3  
Kubota has a SCUT the BX2350 that has a "finish" Mid Mount Mower. This might be something to look into.

/ what is the best combo tractor? #4  
rory_h,

Welcome to TBN. If you want an excellent finish mower & pto/FEL, etc. you will need two machines. You will not find one of those most excellent zero turn mowers with a PTO. However, you can get a pretty good cut with a tractor / mower combo.

Good-Luck,

Vic

/ what is the best combo tractor? #5  
Kioti offers a 60" mid mount mower and loader on their 25 and 30 hp CK series tractors.

/ what is the best combo tractor? #6  
If you want a single machine that will provide an excellent cut and also have a PTO and handle a FEL or Backhoe, look at the Simplicity Legacy XL w/ a 60" deck. It's not as widely known about as the Deere's or Kubota's or other (S)CUTs but it performs great. There is a PHD digger available for it, but I think you have to get the one from simplicty due to clearance issues.

/ what is the best combo tractor? #7  
Rory,

Where is your property. How often do you need to cut the grass? If I were needing to cut 5 acres of grass every week or so through even a New England growing season, I'd be looking for a WIDE finish mower and whatever tractor was necessary to pull it. If it is really mostly a mowing device you are looking for and the terrain would handle it, how about considering a gang of reel mowers? Although most people on this forum use rotary mowers of one type or another, you cannot run a rotary mower wider than about 72inches without getting into >30hp tractors. However, I would think you could pull a 10 or even 12 foot gang of reel mowers with less than 20hp. A 8 foot gang of reel mowers costs less than a 72" midmount or rear finish rotary mower and requires less tractor to pull it. For the same investment, or less, you could actually mow up to twice the acreage per hours. Sounds to me like it would be worth looking into anyway.

Something like a subcompact would be ideal to pull a big gang reel mower. Less weight on the turf and cheaper than forking over big bucks for a more powerful tractor than you need.
8 foot gang reel mower
11 foot gang reel mower

/ what is the best combo tractor? #8  
I second what depasseg siad,

The Legacy will outperform just about all the others listed as a finish mower. If mowing is your # 1 criteria this would be an excellent choice. It also has a front end loader option for it and performs nearly as good as other sub cut class machines like the Kubotoa BX 2350. It would need a limited category 1 post hole digger (I pretty sure that any that would fit a subcut Kubota would work on the Legacy).

One of the best features of this machine is how well the attachemnts come off. You can drop the loader and mowing deck in about a minute.

You can check it out here Simplicity XL Check out the "see it in action" video to see how easy it is to add/reomve the front end loader.

If you are planning on testing the limits of a front end loader, you should then probably look into getting a larger machine like the aformention Kubota B3030. The 3030 is nice in that is a lighter weight machine than most in it's class and still makes a pretty good finish mower.

/ what is the best combo tractor? #9  
To me the limiting factor is that you want a post hole digger (PHD) and a small machine typically doesn't handle them that well because of their length. There have been many threads talking about this limitation.
Kubotas have a good reputation in their belly mowers, but limited with their quarter-inching hitch control instead of pure position control, and may be too short for the PHD.
My opinion is that you buy a larger compact such as I have, the Kioti CK20HST, or similar in another brand and a good rear finish mower (RFM) that can compete in cut with any belly mower.
Kioti's finish mower does one heck of a job. They also offer belly mowers on the CK 20/25/30, but I would prefer the RFM on any of them.
Depending on your soil type, the heavier Kioties may rut the lawn. I don't have that problem at all in my sandy Florida soil, and many have posted they use much larger, heavier tractors for finish mowing with little problem. Industrial or turf tires help in that regard.
Any of the afforementioned tractors can have front end loader (FEL) that is removable for times you don't want it on.
You'll want power steering and 4 wheel drive, which most all brands now have as standard. Look out for add ons in some brands that are standard on brands such as Kioti, and I think Mahindra as well such as loader valves and joysticks and others.
John

/ what is the best combo tractor? #10  
I don't know what quality of cut your wanting but chances are if you've been mowing with a rider all these years any of the tractors mentioned above will acheive that quality if you set them up right and keep the blades sharp. I have been mowing with a B7800 Kubota with a 72" RFM and have had good luck.

Simplicities may mow great but the are expensive for what your getting and they are light weight. Good Mowers though. I wouldn't even classify it as a sub-compact.

A good Sub-Compat is a Kubota BX and a good compact is the Kubota B series. Stay with either a Sub-compact or a Compact. The Compacts are a little larger in weight and horsepower and will run bigger implements. IF you stick with 30Hp or larger you can usually run 6' implents for mowing and 5' ground engaging implements like tillers and box blades etc. Anything below 30 Hp and you may need to go down to a 5' mower and 48" tiller etc. You would have to check your tractor's specs to see since the PTO HP is what really determines this.

Compacts are slightly lighter and lower to the ground and make a little better mowing machine but are somewhat limited in what they will do compared to a Compact. Stick with a Category 1 3-point hitch if possible - which you will find in most of the subs and compacts. But I don't think Simplicity has a category 1. The reason for sticking with category 1 is that most of your implements you'll find at your local TSC or in the paper are category 1. Simplicy may take a sort of proprietary attachement that you have to buy from them.

For 5 Acres, Get at least a real sub-compact (Not a category 0 3pt.). There are lots of them out there. Massey, Deere, Kubota, Farmall (Same as the New Holland)