TBN age old question

/ TBN age old question #1  

rogdan

Gold Member
Tractor
Farmtrac 360 DTC TLB
I have been out kicking tires for a month now that spring fever has set in. The two dealers that I liked the most put my needs at their respective 40 HP and 45 HP machines the Kubota L4400 and Kioti D45S. I liked the Kubota MX 5000 and Kioti DK55 as well and am considering NH but not looked talked to a dealer yet. I will but this spring if it allows me to do some minor back filling and grading of our finished house site. I plan to add an FEL, brush cutter and back blade and maybe a BH initially.
What I have gleaned on TBN in a year tells me 40-45 HP may not be enough but I liked and felt comfortable with those sized machines. I do plan to work on old logging roads to access firewood so size is an issue here as is our steep property (unable to get my camera and computer in agreement to show pictures).. Please offer some advice and what else I should consider in this decision.

/ TBN age old question #2  
Now your profile shows 95 acres, and if you were planning to actually farm; i.e., till, harvest, etc. on the whole 95 acres, I'd say you need a bigger tractor, but with your description of the land and what you intend to do, I'd be inclined to think a 40-50hp tractor would be sufficient. Of course, once we have a tractor we always find many other things to do with it besides the things we bought it for.

/ TBN age old question
Thanks for the reply,
The wooded bulk of the property would only see the tractor for firewood and logging road improvements. The road are there but overgrown with briars and small saplings, I am considering an outside wood boiler and they require alot of wood.
I just looked at the Cub Cadet 45 HP tractor made by the same company as the Kioti and at a better price!

/ TBN age old question #4  
I think you owe it to yourself to look hard at the Case or New Holland models. They make a couple of really serious machines in the size/power range you're talking. The sloped hoods that look so untractorlike do a lot to improve visibility, with or without the loader mounted, which you will appreciate in the woods. There is nothing soft or easily damaged hanging down on the bellies of the smaller ones like the 26 or 29, unlike some other brands I've looked at. I presume the same is true for the larger ones. They have some pretty good weight to them, but aren't the heaviest machine out there. Compare the "footprint" of the different machines you're considering and you might find the CNH a bit shorter and more maneuverable.

I was surprized to find the DX 29 is actually shorter than the 26. I'm hoping to tell the dealer to order some Ag tires, install the rear valve, and my other needs very soon.

Drive one, and you'll be impressed with the comfort of the seat and platform area. The CNH tractors just seem to fit my 6'2" 210 lb carcass better than the two orange ones, which make me feel like I'm standing up or being tilted forward off the seat.

/ TBN age old question #5  
DaTeacher raises some great points. I go in the woods quite a bit and the plastic on my Deere is still fine. It would be a crumpled mess if it were metal. I have skid plates on mine, and highly recommend them if you are going into the woods.

/ TBN age old question #6  
I have owned a few tractors over the years the smallest being an L235 kubota and the largest being the one I have now which is an M5700 which I like very very much,it has the hyd. shuttle shift.I own 100 plus acres half woods half fields .I also get fire wood.I used a 4ft brush hog , a 1 bottom plow etc. etc. with the L235 .I use a 6ft brush hog could be bigger , 3 bottom plow etc. etc. with the M5700. as I think you will see the picture here.They would both do the job I wanted them too , it just took longer with the smaller size tractor.It is like most other things we seem to always think we need or want something just a little bit bigger and in some cases we do.In my case it sure saves me some time.I have also found that larger used farm equipment is much easier and cheaper to find in my area at least than smaller equipment as there is so much more of it.
Good Luck,
Herb

/ TBN age old question
Good to know this and I do plan to look at NH seriously. My local dealer has not stocked for spring yet and I don't know of any Case dealers around. In their line I will especially check out the TC 45, 48 and 55.

/ TBN age old question
Rocky,
I appreciate that info. as honestly the plastic did make me a little nervous. I haven't looked green as I was steered from closest dealer by a customer and employee. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
HEC
My first thoughts were used but what little I find around here is very well used. I know I'm not going to do all these things over night even though I would like to. Other than baling I don't see much in my realm of possibility that HP limit rules out? I sat on a M4800 i think it was and just didn't wasrm up to the feel and size of it but really liked the MX5000.

/ TBN age old question #9  
I've had the pleasure of using a DK45S, and it is plenty of HP for what you would need. I don't think you would need a DK55. It also has a hefty frame/size and would be excellent for logging work and road work.
As someone mentioned, visibility is better with the sloped hoods, but before you buy a DK45S, make sure you try one out that has the older style dog-legged loader design as the visibility on the sides is less than the NH with curved arm loader. That's one thing I wish Kioti would remedy.
As for the instance of the Cub Cadet, if it's a lesser price, that's good because there is not real difference in the tractors other than paint. But make sure that the new 4 year Kioti warranty is also available for the Cub.
Good luck with your search. Any of the brands mentioned will serve you well.
John

/ TBN age old question
Thanks for the input, I plan to post Kioti specific in that forum as well as with Kubota to avoid brand arguments. My only concern with any 40/45 HP brand machine over the 55HP is the " grunt factor". I plan alot of blade work and log skidding.
I see the majority of the FEL work in moving large objects like rocks rather than traditional loader work.