28 HP too small??

/ 28 HP too small?? #1  

manny2005

I just purchased a 2 acre wooded lot for building a house. I will have a crew come in and clear most of it. I am planning on doing the small work myself. grading, backfill, landscape, etc. I have access to a full size dozer, so if the work is too big for the tractor, I can bring that in and finish.

In addition, I have 80 acres, mostly wooded in another location, that I will be doing some clearing and planting pecan trees. Will also have to set in and maintain roads in and out.

I have reading just about all I can for the last few days on this site and find it very informable. I think I have narrowed it down to a new Kubota B7800 with FEL. I have found simular compacts with the same specs, but the dealers in my area are that impressive. I spoke with a Mahine dealer, but they are 120 miles away, the local dealer, in my opinion, leaves alot to be desired. Other compact dealers seem to be a good haul from me and may be a problem for any good service.

My question, will the Bota B7800 do the job I am planning on taking on?

Thanks in Advance for the advise.

/ 28 HP too small??
I made a mistake in the post, the B7800 is a 30HP, but am considering the 26 to 30 HP models.

I am new to purchasing and have researching both new and used. I found that for the most part, the used models are running within a few thousand dollars of the new ones, with no warranty. That is what is driving me toward a new model.

Thanks again

/ 28 HP too small?? #3  
It probably would but it wouldn't hurt to go bigger.

Like most of us, you probably wouldn't be dissapointed with more tractor and probably could use it with the amount of land you have.

If price is a real issue then I would suggest looking into the L3400 which gives you a reasonable amount of more tractor for not very much more money than the 7800. I'm not a huge fan of the lighter tractors in cases where you are not really planning to do much mowing.

I started off thinking that the 7800 was right for my application also - this is the direction the first few dealers I talked to took me in and then the dealer I bought from guided me toward the L3400 which he thought was a better tractor for me and managed to keep it in a price range that was very close to the B7800/B3030 to keep me happy. If I had had ANY more flexibility in budget, I would have gone with the Grand L - even the 3130 but I had to stop somewhere given I had moved up from a budget of $8000 or so to a brand new machine!

If budget is less of an issue and you have some room up, the Grand L series are very very nice tractors with some pretty nice loaders to boot. I think everybody needs a L3830 at least! but I am sure you will get by with a 7800 and get by much better with a L3400.

My 0.02$... I'm biased - I bought the L3400.

/ 28 HP too small?? #4  
Welcome Manny.
I dare say I could probably do what you want to do with my Kioti CK20, so, yes, I think you can do it with what you're talking about, but you have a good bit of land, and dirt work is going to want a heavy tractor. If I were you, I'd go for more HP, and a heavy frame like Manhindra or Kioti or a heavier Kubota than the ones you first mentioned. Dirt work can take a lighter tractor way off track, and it would be hard to add the proper weight, whereas a heavier, but not too heavy tractor can have weight taken on and off and still have enough guts for typical after jobs.
John

/ 28 HP too small?? #5  
Manny-I used a 28 hp JD for six years, very manuverable and fuel efficient, plowed my driveway, mowed my lawn and fields with it, moved shale and stone with the FEL, there were very few times I felt underpowered. Some of the mowing that I did were in fields where the weeds were 6 to 7 feet high and I can't remember it ever bogging down. You have to decide if you want the flexibility of a small tractor or the brute force and pulling power of a bigger one. Good Luck.

/ 28 HP too small?? #6  
At first blush, that sounds like a nice size for the 2 acres, easily transported to the 80 and very manuverable in the woods.. A little light for much real work in the woods, though...

/ 28 HP too small??
Thanks for the input so far!!!

Sounds like I am on the right track ( I hope ) I have been trying to keep on the low side due to cost. My local Kubota dealer quoted me just under $16K for the B7800 w/FEL. Feel I could do better with other manufactures but its seems hard to find a reputal one here and keep the cost low.

I will keep researching and decide if a dealer 50 to 100 miles away may the one to deal with in the long run.

Thanks again

/ 28 HP too small?? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Some of the mowing that I did were in fields where the weeds were 6 to 7 feet high and I can't remember it ever bogging down. )</font>
Heck, I can't remember yesterday either, but I guess it happened! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 28 HP too small?? #9  
I'd like to echo some of the concers of the others. The 'small' factor will make it usefull on the 2ac, and also help with manuverability int he trees on the 80.. however that 'small' factor willlimit it when you need power. For instance.. if you ever timber and stump that 80 and are mowing a significant portion of it.. you will want more than a 4' or 5' hog.. Of course.. there is nothing wrong with owning 2 tractors.. for instance.. a new (expensive ) 'small' one for 90% of the chores, and an older (cheap) ag tractor for the occasional big jobs. Older ag tractors from the 60-70-80's go for pennies.. for instance.. eeasy to get 60-100+hp machines for 3000-6000$ all day..

Soundguy

/ 28 HP too small?? #10  
There are many B7800 owners here on TBN. They do some amazing things with these small tractors. Tractors that use the same frame but have more or less power are the B2710, B2910, B2630, and B3030.
I have a B2910 that I cut 2 acres of lawn with. Rotary Cut the other 2. Plus keep the weeds down on the property bordering mine.
If you plan on doing logging on the 80 acres. You may find that this tractor is small. But it is easy to tow on a trailer. Plus its great for getting into tighter places than a larger tractor.
All the projects you list except setting the roads on your 80 acres are what this size tractor does best.