HST or Shuttle

/ HST or Shuttle #1  

manny2005

I have been talking some local contractors and landscapers this week about my researching for purchase. Seems they all agree with my findings (except brands, but thats another issue). The one thing that seems to differ is the HST or shuttle transmission. I had several people say they knew or heard of somebody having rouble with HST. Not to say that one or the other will never break or need repairing, but that HST cost in the thousands for repair.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance

/ HST or Shuttle #2  
Yes, a hydro will cost more to fix IF it breaks. I finally went with a hydro despite all my words about gears here. I have an early 70's Cub Cadet hydro. I've had the engine rebuilt and then replaced, but all the hydro has ever needed is a fluid and filter change.

If you are going to plow or otherwise use the pulling power of the tractor to it's full extent for a major part of your use, I'd look away from hydro. For delicate operations, say moving a large object an inch or two, I'd definitely go with the hydro. For lots of back and forth work, like extensive use of a loader to move piles of mulch or other material, the hydro is tops with the shuttle running a close second in ease of use, especially the power shuttles where you just move a lever without having to slow down or stop.

If you tend to be hard on machinery, or if you plan to use your tractor to it's maximum potential most of the time, you may want to go with gears for more PTO power and a bit more efficiency. If you plan to plow dirt or do other serious ground engaging work, gears. Mowing, hydro with cruise. Any chore that prioritizes constant ground speed -- hydro.

This is a never ending debate here with strong opinions on each side. There is no one right answer, just opinions, which are pretty much like noses or other body parts not suitable for mention here -- everybody has one and it is their own, except for that lady who had half her face replaced, that is.

Drive some of each. Try doing some of the maneuvers you anticipate in your work with the tractor. See how you like the turning brakes and how well they work on that particular model. How easy will it be to use them if you use them at all?

/ HST or Shuttle #3  
My preference if you have a FEL is shuttle. If no FEL than Hydro. With a FEL and the Hydro you can't use the brakes to steer. My 2 cents! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ HST or Shuttle #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( With a FEL and the Hydro you can't use the brakes to steer.)</font>

Why not, I have used my brakes to turn while using the HST and FEL. Cruise Control is a beautiful thing ! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ HST or Shuttle #5  
Manny-
I feel your pain and struggled with the same decision. I ended up going HST and have found so far that it's just great because I do alot of FEL work and have been working the rake in small areas. I'd probably have "clutch leg" if I had to work a clutch while doing work in tight areas. I'd say just make your decison based on what type of work you think you'll be doing the most of.
Good luck!

/ HST or Shuttle #6  
<font color="blue"> Why not, I have used my brakes to turn while using the HST and FEL. </font>

Same here..I use the steering brakes a lot with my hydro. My differental lock does not work and I use the steering breaks to help in slippery conditions and when pulling heavy loads.

/ HST or Shuttle #7  
HST and don't put another second of thought into it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ HST or Shuttle #8  
And I thought you were SMART guys!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The obvious answer is: BUY TWO TRACTORS /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

For FEL work I use a HST, it's so much more accurate than the shuttle on back dragging or inching up on end of a pile. For mowing, I use the gear with shuttle but I mow for hours on end without stopping. Mowing the edges of the fields would be much easier with a HST but I've learned to live with it. Hmmm. Ok, Maybe THREE tractors are needed..... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ HST or Shuttle #9  
Definitely HST for FEL work. Have had no problems with my Hydro & work the tractor very hard sometimes. I have been on this forum now for two years & have maybe heard of one HST transmission problem. Now I have not ventured much in the other brand specific forums but NH at any rate have had very few problems in this regard.

Vic

/ HST or Shuttle #10  
Manny,

First off, you may be a bit off on cost to repair. The electronic solenoid controlled shuttle shift transmissions are pretty darn complex. In fact, a Kubota GST (shuttle) is MORE complex and MORE expensive to repair than the HST. Can't speak for other brands, but I doubt there is too much difference. Heck, gear trans are not "cheap" to repair anymore.

Others have given their opinion. Here's mine. Tractor configuration depends on use, requirements and operator ability. If you need to make small movements and have absolute instant control of speed then an HST is the best. If you will have doofus (er, uh, inexperienced) operators, then the learning curve for an HST is smaller. If you are going to be plowing fields, then a shuttle or gear trans will allow you to set your speed by gear choice and rpm.

Final point. The major tractor companies have some very robust CUT and SCUT equipment. There may have been some "green" issues with HST 5-6 years ago, but that has been sorted out. Orange HST is well respected as both reliable and very easy to use. Almost any brand will give you years of good service. (I would NOT buy a China unit. Korean unit's would require more thought too, but their quality has been improving. If you want the straight scoop, ask the service techs at the dealerships.

jb