Looking for a "30/30" diesel tractor

/ Looking for a "30/30" diesel tractor
Re: Looking for a \"30/30\" diesel tractor

flusher said:
This baby doesn't have power steering, but since I don't plan to add an FEL that's no problem. It steers easy enough as is.

I'm having a ball tooling around the place with that little beastie.

After digging through the MF I&T shop manual, I discovered that I was mistaken. It does have power steering after all. You can see the PS pump/reservoir in the 4th photo I previously posted. It's just behind the alternator and the PS pump is gear driven. My education continues.

Since my 135 does have P/S, I wondered if it could handle an FEL. I checked my copy of Big Dean Austin's CD regarding FELs for the MF-135. He advises against this. The front end is not strong enough. He says he saw plenty of bent and twisted 135 front ends in his time when FELs were installed on these tractors. No matter. I bought the 135 to plow and till. The B7510HST/LA302FEL has enough FEL capability for my needs.

/ Looking for a "30/30" diesel tractor #42  

flusher said:
After digging through the MF I&T shop manual, I discovered that I was mistaken. It does have power steering after all. You can see the PS pump/reservoir in the 4th photo I previously posted. It's just behind the alternator and the PS pump is gear driven. My education continues.

Since my 135 does have P/S, I wondered if it could handle an FEL. I checked my copy of Big Dean Austin's CD regarding FELs for the MF-135. He advises against this. The front end is not strong enough. He says he saw plenty of bent and twisted 135 front ends in his time when FELs were installed on these tractors. No matter. I bought the 135 to plow and till. The B7510HST/LA302FEL has enough FEL capability for my needs.

There were a LOT of 135's with loaders over the years. They have a front axle that's much like Ford 2000/3000 of the same time period. Where the problems came in to play was when folks would try to use them like a bigger tractor/loader. (i.e. moving round bales, ect) The front axle center pivot was a tad light. The spindles were suspect, along with too small of a wheel bearing. The adjustable width axle itself would sag under sustained hard loader use. AND.... the steering wasn't stout enough for hard loader work. I sold a 3000 Ford last year that I'd owned since new because of 30+ years of loader use had worn out the front end. (along with a trashed out gas engine. It was cheaper in the long run to sell it and find another 3000 in better shape)

The issues with the 135's front end was the reason why the 150 Massey was more popular for loader use. Same tractor for the most part, with MUCH heavier front end/better steering. (150 used the front bolster, axle, and steering designed for the 165)

/ Looking for a "30/30" diesel tractor #43  

Farmwithjunk said:
There were a LOT of 135's with loaders over the years. They have a front axle that's much like Ford 2000/3000 of the same time period. Where the problems came in to play was when folks would try to use them like a bigger tractor/loader. (i.e. moving round bales, ect) The front axle center pivot was a tad light. The spindles were suspect, along with too small of a wheel bearing. The adjustable width axle itself would sag under sustained hard loader use. AND.... the steering wasn't stout enough for hard loader work. I sold a 3000 Ford last year that I'd owned since new because of 30+ years of loader use had worn out the front end. (along with a trashed out gas engine. It was cheaper in the long run to sell it and find another 3000 in better shape)

The issues with the 135's front end was the reason why the 150 Massey was more popular for loader use. Same tractor for the most part, with MUCH heavier front end/better steering. (150 used the front bolster, axle, and steering designed for the 165)

I tried out a 135 with a FEL once. The neat thing about the Massey was that it had a selector that allowed the hydraulics on the FEL to work off the 3PH valve. Obviously, it didn't have a hydraulic bucket, just a little cable controlled dump, then you had to lower the bucket to the ground to relatch the bucket. The bucket was made more for manure than dirt. Today's FELs and those found in the 60's and early 70's are like night and day.

/ Looking for a "30/30" diesel tractor #44  

Keith_B said:
I tried out a 135 with a FEL once. The neat thing about the Massey was that it had a selector that allowed the hydraulics on the FEL to work off the 3PH valve. Obviously, it didn't have a hydraulic bucket, just a little cable controlled dump, then you had to lower the bucket to the ground to relatch the bucket. The bucket was made more for manure than dirt. Today's FELs and those found in the 60's and early 70's are like night and day.

There were plenty of all hydraulic loaders back in the day. Lots of gravity dump buckets too. I've got a Kelly loader that was on my old 3000. I'm currently working it over, and still trying to decide between mounting it on the newer 3000 I have now, or my 150 MF. It's hydraulic bucket. This loader was built in the mid 1960s. Those weren't exactly the dark ages, you know. Some of us look back quite fondly at those days. ;)

/ Looking for a "30/30" diesel tractor #45  

Farmwithjunk said:
There were plenty of all hydraulic loaders back in the day. Lots of gravity dump buckets too. I've got a Kelly loader that was on my old 3000. I'm currently working it over, and still trying to decide between mounting it on the newer 3000 I have now, or my 150 MF. It's hydraulic bucket. This loader was built in the mid 1960s. Those weren't exactly the dark ages, you know. Some of us look back quite fondly at those days. ;)

The 150 is much heavier for loader work, and it is easier to plumb for the hydraulics if the 3000 doesn't have a remote. There are still a lot of the old Kelly and Freeman loaders around these parts. My wife's cousin has a MF 65 with a Freeman loader.

The rarebird in this area is a tractor of that vintage with the front auxillary hydraulic pump that was dedicated for loaders.

/ Looking for a "30/30" diesel tractor #46  

Keith_B said:
The 150 is much heavier for loader work, and it is easier to plumb for the hydraulics if the 3000 doesn't have a remote. There are still a lot of the old Kelly and Freeman loaders around these parts. My wife's cousin has a MF 65 with a Freeman loader.

The rarebird in this area is a tractor of that vintage with the front auxillary hydraulic pump that was dedicated for loaders.

Most all the utility tractors of that era were better off with a front pump or even a PTO pump. They had such small capacity internal pumps, a good loader was too slow cycling. Being a slow, old grampa myself, I wasn't in a hurry. Anytime I needed a better loader, I grabbed dads Case 530 CK backhoe.