Is there a tractor out there for me? 2K +/-?

/ Is there a tractor out there for me? 2K +/-? #1  

chabat

I have a need for a tractor but don't have a lot to spend. I am selling a small fishing boat I don't use much to finance part of it. (I am in Texas)

<ul type="square">[*]I have a few rent houses and one is on 2 acres. So what I would be using it for is:
[*]shredding (brush hogging?)
[*]box blade for smoothing out some dirt I am buying to fill in low spots
[*]occaisional pulling of small trees
[*]would like a tractor that I could get a front end loader for later...
[*]I don't care how ugly or old it is, long as it will do some "occaisional" work for me.
[*]I would probably use it once a month
[/list]
So my questions:
1) Are there any $2,000 (+/-) tractors out there that can do all of that?
2) What should I be looking for (models etc)?
3) What HP tractor should I be looking for?
4) If my $2K is not enough, how much will I have to spend?

Any help is appreciated.
Chris

Oh ya, and it would have to fit on my 16' lowboy bumper pull utility trailer. I don't want something so huge that I would need a gooseneck trailer.

/ Is there a tractor out there for me? 2K +/-? #2  
Around my neck of the woods, $2K +/- gets you a Ford 9N or 2N, gas-engine tractors built in the late 1930s, early 1940s. My neighbor on my South fenceline has a really neat 1941-vintage 9N that he got for about $2K w/o FEL

9Ns are being advertised now in the local supermarket ad papers around here for $2200-2500 w/o FEL.

My local grey market tractor guys occasionally have Yanmar 1300 and 1401 diesel tractors in the $2500-3000 range w/o FEL. These tractors date from the 1980s and generally have less than 1500 hours on the engine clock.

Check the TBN forums on Yanmar, Ford and vintage tractors for lotsa info.

/ Is there a tractor out there for me? 2K +/-? #3  
The N series Fords are around 2500 lb. without a loader. Might be a bit too much for a bumper hitch.

/ Is there a tractor out there for me? 2K +/-? #4  
In terms of a compact tractor, usually anything serviceable with a loader will start in the $5k-6k range...and you start to get into decent size tractors with loaders closer to $10k. At 5 or 6 grand you are either looking at very small grey market or old major brand (kubota, deere) ... in poor to fair shape.

/ Is there a tractor out there for me? 2K +/-? #5  
I've seen some Ford 8N and 9N tractors for sale at around that price.

Given the choice between the two, I'd go for the 8N. Gas engine, 2 wheel drive, will handle a small brush hog. You can add a loader to it (probably won't come with a loader for $2000 or $2500.

/ Is there a tractor out there for me? 2K +/-? #6  
Welcome to TBN, Chabat, where 'bouts you at exactly?

For $2000+/-, these guys have already given you the run down on what will be available.....Ford 2N, 8N, 9N, etc.

Good machines that will run forever if cared for. I have an 8N freshly redone and it'll do everything you want to do. A 5' shredder and box blade will fit it nicely for most uses. You can fit one easily onto a 16' trailer with the shredder, but you'll want to get a sleeve-hitch for the pickup rather than using the bumber ball.

As for the loader, the -N series can be fitted with a loader design that was originally intended for them. They are an old design and somewhat rare, but can be found. These loaders are better than a rear-bucket, but not near as useful as today's modern loaders.

I've seen a very few other, "newer" tractors w/o loaders come in at less than $5000..primarily older Longs or even some MFs. They are often a little rough and their history can't be determined, however-they'll have some leaks and worn tires and dents and faded paint usually.

/ Is there a tractor out there for me? 2K +/-? #7  
Patience is a wonderful thing. I had been looking a cheap tractor for 2 or 3 years. I was hoping to spend less than $5000. A friend of mine at the JD dealership told me about a 1050 someone in his family had traded in. I looked at it and was impressed. The first picture is before I did much to it. I had put new tires on the front. I had also bought a new battery. I had to put a new head gasket on it and adjust the clutch for the PTO to work right. I spent a few dollars on decals and paint. I bought the 1050 for $1500 and after all the work and new parts I now have about $2300 in it. The second picture is after it was painted. I've been very pleased! It has 37 engine hp and 33.4 at the PTO. The only thing I don't like about it, is the wide turf tires on the rear. Someday I will hopefully come across a deal on some rear wheels and ag tires.

Attachments

• 855229-DSCN0964 (Small).JPG
    855229-DSCN0964 (Small).JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 375
   / Is there a tractor out there for me? 2K +/-? #8  
Second photo, after painting and cleaning up.

Attachments

• 855234-1050 (Small).jpg
    855234-1050 (Small).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 366
   / Is there a tractor out there for me? 2K +/-? #9  
That looks really good. You did an excellent job on it, and that is a great tractor. Yes, patience can pay off. Not everyone, though, is going to be as talented in the restoration process are you are!
Nice work.
John

/ Is there a tractor out there for me? 2K +/-? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Second photo, after painting and cleaning up. )</font>

Geeze, what a nice tractor for $1,500 bucks! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I need to hang around with you. I need a cheap diesel tandem dump with a 15' box. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif