Store Hours

/ Store Hours #1  

ReadingKubota

We are putting up a brand new building and have been thinking of changing our hours. If you all would be so kind to share, what evening hours would be of the most help for the customers, and just how important is it to be able to come in on the weekends. All ideas are greatly appriciated /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Store Hours #2  
I think a lot of tractor dealers are mainly in business for the commerical users. At least the ones here are. My local CaseIH dealer and Kubota dealer are both only open until 5:30 on Monday through Friday and noon on Saturday. I personally would prefer them to open a little later in the morning and stay open until at least 6 on the weekdays and 5 on Saturday. But I am not buying very much stuff from them either and I'm sure some of the commercial users who use their tractor for a living like the normal hours. I think the CaseIH shop opens at 7:30 and that lets people stop by and get stuff before getting out to the job which is probably a good thing also.

I think you need to factor in who your primary customers are going to be when you set your hours.

/ Store Hours
First thank you,customers are 50/50 commercial, homeowner. So far the survey we sent to our customers is that they don't need us to change from M-F 8-5 Sat 8-12. Our thoughts are how to get more people to come in the door, that is why we thought more late hours would help. Example being they could stop on their way home from work.
Sat. are so hit and miss, two in a row quiet, then one busy as all get out. Latley as I talk to people on the phone the first question is do we have evening hours. Once again thanks for your answer

/ Store Hours #4  
My suggestion would be to try expanded hours on a trial basis for a month or a quarter. After period of time has past, do a comparison on the amount of business you had during that period compared to a similar period of time the year before. The answer is going to be right there for you to know if it is worthwhile or not.

My vote would be for specialized places to stay open until at least 6:00 or 7:00 during the week and maybe stay open until 3:00 or 4:00 on Saturdays. I think the weeknight extra hours would be most beneficial for the people that don't have enough time to get to the shop after work during the week. On the weekends, a person should be able to plan on getting into the shop based on the shop hours.

Darrell

/ Store Hours #5  
Is this Gabe or Harry?

Whats up guys? Neil.

We've briefly talked about the same thing. Mostly with going longer on saturdays. Problem is, like you said... one week you can't keep up and the next you don't budge from behind the desk. We never thought that we've lost sales because of it, but I sure can understand how its a headache for a customer.

/ Store Hours #6  
To answer your question I’m going to discuss a situation I have. 3 miles from me I have a NAPA dealer in town. His hours are M-F 8-5 and Sat 8-12. In my opinion he’s not open at all during the week, which leaves me until Sat. By then I’ve got my part elsewhere and fixed my vehicle.

Now the town has a dump. Only open Sat from 8-3pm. But if I’m out of town for the weekend I’m stuck for at least 2 weeks. My garbage is piling high at home. Other towns offer a week night evening and trim Sat down to mornings. Such a novel idea. Also understanding everyone is different I know my way isn’t the only way but here’s an idea.

Stay open 2 nights a week until 8pm. If you don’t want to accrue longer hours for the employee’s, then open at 11am those days. A friend of mine does this on T and Th. If someone can’t make it in 1 day the next might be better for them. But the idea is that anyone working any shift at some point can get there at least during the week if they try. Sat are hit and miss but if they know they can get up early and go there they will.

Your customers will still be serviced 6 days a week and with all the options you give them at some point they should be able to get in there if necessary.

/ Store Hours #7  
Ditto to Bob's post. The dealer I finally purchased my tractor from is open Th and Fri until 8pm as well as Sat 8-3. Since Saturday has been family day I would rather get out of work and run up there during the week. It's nice to have the evening options.

/ Store Hours #8  
Harry,
My dealer is open 8-5 M-F and 8-12 on Sat but no Sat hours in the winter. I have no problem getting there before he closes through the week, but if I had an 8-5 job, I'd appreciate longer hours one or two nights a week. For some people, it may mean a special trip to town to get to the dealer on Saturday. I've seen numerous posts here saying......."Help, it's Friday night and my dealer isn't open until Monday".

edit......however the Saturday hours have worked out best for me in the long run.

/ Store Hours #10  
I second NY's thoughts. One night open until 7 or 8 should be enough, either wed or thurs. Gives people a day to shoot for if they know they can't make the daytime hours.