JD4120 HST vs. Kubota L4330 HST

/ JD4120 HST vs. Kubota L4330 HST #1  

CWP37

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 5103 w/ 512 LDR
I'd like to start a discussion about the pros and cons of these two tractors. A side by side comparison, if you will. Please stick to features, HP, torque, etc. I know that everyone is biased in some way, but please try to stay away from "Green is made in America by REAL americans..." or "Orange sells more tractors than God..."

I really respect your opinions. Thanks in advance.

/ JD4120 HST vs. Kubota L4330 HST #2  
I'm also very interested to know more. I saw an ad from a local dealer advertise the 4120 for about $19k with FEL. Are these 2 tractors similar in price? I don't have any knowledge to offer... Just want to get this thread to the top of the list.

/ JD4120 HST vs. Kubota L4330 HST #4  
This is such a difficult subject. We could get in a big "My Dad is better than Your Dad" discussion, but my question would be, are you seriously looking for a Tractor? IF you are, I would highly recommend you call BOTH of your local Dealers, have them bring out the Tractors AT THE SAME TIME and OPERATE THEM! We can debate this 'til the Cows come home, and you still might buy the wrong Tractor FOR YOU.

I do understand that price can be an issue for a lot of folks-that leaves out so many other factors-resale value, service, parts availability, warranty, availability of attachments, intangibles such pride of ownership, how it makes you feel when you look at it, etc,etc.

This is a Toyota vs. a Chevy type of debate-no winners, no losers-it all comes down to perception, and, every one has one-just ask them! IF I were going to compare, I would get the COMPLETE Specifications of BOTH Tractors, SIT DOWN AND LOOK AT THEM, UNDERSTANDING WHAT IS IMPORTANT To me-if my intended usage was 80% Loader work, I would be interested in Hydraulic capability, Loader lift capacity, loader lift height, tipping load and so on. If I were doing a lot of PTO work, I would look at the Weight of the Tractor and the Horsepower difference between the Engine and the PTO, which would tell me how well the Tractor was engineered.

There are SO many ways to compare Tractors-it really depends on what tasks you would like to do-I ask my Customer's to sit down and think about what they will do the most, if possible guess the usage in percentage and let's tailor a machine to fit your needs. No one makes the best everything-

/ JD4120 HST vs. Kubota L4330 HST #5  
Really need to know what you intend to do ...

As was stated above, comparison here is more to _your_ needs than the what the 2 models have ... not to mention do ya wanna compare cabs?, hst?, loaders?, back hoes? ...

my 2 penneys ... I did weigh both of these recently till I realized it was more than I needed long term (short term tho, wish I had either one).

hard to beat the bota with the 853 loader + xtra wheelbase for diggin dirt.

the deere has a BH that IMO digs better than the BH90

how do ya like your HST pedals ... I wasn't fond of the bannana on the bota, but it's second nature now (and my wife took to it without a thought).

The JD cabs are awesome ... bota cab was nice too ... but I knew I wasn't getting a cab since I needed a BH.

If ya want a "feature" comparison, look at the specs. anything else will be "feel". Dealer for _you_ can mean a bunch too ...

/ JD4120 HST vs. Kubota L4330 HST
Okay, here's what it'll be used for:

-Shredding 13 acres 4-5 times a year.
-Drive maintenance w/ box blade.
-FEL maintenance work.
-Moving round bales.

No cab needed.
HST preferred.

/ JD4120 HST vs. Kubota L4330 HST #7  
Both machines will do well!

I'd settle on the dealer first.

that aside the ergonomics are different. I like Deere's ergonomics, like where the loader stick is, the pedals for the hydro. But you will hear the same from Kubota.
And they are very different!

But get the right dealer.

Moving round bales. That means a lot of different things. On smooth level dry ground it is a lot easier, but get on a slick muddy hill in the rain, well, that is another altogether. Deere has the advantage here - because the seat is already yellow /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

What size bales, what kind of terrain, Are you wanting to move them in the rear or front, what kind of lifting if from the front? (over fenses, into feeders... Off of a trailer, Into a hay loft...

The important thing to know about bales is that they are so bulky that they act as if they weigh more than they do. a 1000lb bale is 'heavier' than 1000lb of sand. Due to leverage of the load. And they can really obstruct your vision. So the biggest machine that is practical is in order

/ JD4120 HST vs. Kubota L4330 HST
I'm not sure what dimensions the bales will be. I'll have them baled in my own coastal field, so it'll mainly be moving them around my property. Possibly stacking them, but no more than 2 high.

My place is relatively flat with a few rolls, but no "slippery slopes."

I'd like to go with a 3720 to be a little more agile mowing around trees, but I don't think its heavy enough to move round bales well.

/ JD4120 HST vs. Kubota L4330 HST #9  
I move round bales with a 4310 (same size as 3720)

When by bales are about 1000lbs all is ok. But my last batch were 'generous' 1300 pounders. Like to have killed the 4310. I think they were a lot closer to 2000 than 1300 pounds though.

A 4000 series would be better.