Manual vs Hydrostatic Trans. for hilly terrain

/ Manual vs Hydrostatic Trans. for hilly terrain #1  

RockJockey

I have a lot of hills on my property and have heard arguments for both hydrostatic (more control) and gear transmissions (positive transmission as long as you know how to use a clutch) for hills.

What are the pros and cons of each transmission type in the hills?

/ Manual vs Hydrostatic Trans. for hilly terrain #2  
RJ

I have a NH40DA (hydrostatic) and an old Ford (geared) tractor. My property is very hilly, has exsposed bedrock, gravel hills and mixed forest. I use my tractor for snow removal, skidding logs, landscaping and mowing with a brushhog. For my purposes the hydrostatic wins hands down. Way more control and I consider it to be a safer tractor to use. 25 years with the Ford geared.....1.5 years with the NH hydrostatic. Hope that helps.

/ Manual vs Hydrostatic Trans. for hilly terrain #3  
I don't want to insult anyone's intelligence because an experienced person can use either quite well, but think of inexperience, and the "all of a sudden I'm going too fast" with a gear model, or something catastrophic happens and one needs to push the clutch on one side, and the brakes on the other and manage the steering wheel etc.
With HST, you let off the pedal, and "may" have to apply the brakes while you're still holding onto the wheel with at least one hand while you may be dropping the loader down with the other to keep from turning over. HST makes it a lot more controllable. Let off the pedal, and most will come to a stop, or at least slow way down until you can hit the brakes.
I have had mine roll just a bit on a steep incline, but it's manageable.
I much prefer it on the few steep (creek banks and ditches) areas of my properties.
John

/ Manual vs Hydrostatic Trans. for hilly terrain #4  
RockJockey:
John and Dave gave some good advise. I used my old Ford 1100 4WD geared tractor on my hilly property w/o serious problems and have for the past 6 months have used a NH TC29DA HST without difficulty. Your choice of transmissions may come down to your application. If you plan to use a FEL I would definitely recommend the HST (ease in going F & R); if you plan to use 3 point hitch ground engaging attachments I would go with the gears (more power ?) ; mowing I would go HST (IMHO). I would weight your tires to lower your center of gravity due to your use on hills. Jay

/ Manual vs Hydrostatic Trans. for hilly terrain #5  
I'll never buy a geared tractor again. ONLY if I used the tractor requiring full power, like for pulling plows or big discs would I consider a geared unit. Even then, I'd likely get something with at least a shuttle shift. PARTICULARLY on hills, HST is MUCH safer. I wouldn't want to run my neighbor's old geared unit with its 2 sets of levers, etc. up and down and around my hills over here on my side of the cul-de-sac.

Ralph

/ Manual vs Hydrostatic Trans. for hilly terrain #6  
As for just letting off the pedal on an HST.. vs clutching and braking on a gear unit. You guys do realize that on a gear unit, you also 'just let off the pedal'.. IE reduce engine throttle. It's pretty dangerous to hit the clutch on a hill, for the purpose of down shifting... you may never get the trans re-engaged.. and then freewheel down the mountain. Let the engine compression help you....

Dropping the loader on either machine is a good idea.

Soundguy

/ Manual vs Hydrostatic Trans. for hilly terrain #7  
I was thinking the same thing. When going down a hill on a geared tractor, it is much safer to throttle down in order to slow your ground speed than to clutch & brake. When you engage the clutch, you're free-wheeling. And, I don't have anti-lock brakes on my tractor (and don't know of any tractors that come with anti-lock brakes). So, when you feel it free-wheeling and your ground speed increasing rather than decreasing like you intended, your instincts tell you to stand on the brakes. If you're on gravel or leaves/straw, guess what... you're now in a skid with the rear tires locked up and no where near the steering control that you have in a car. Very dangerous situation. Don't ask me how I know this. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

HST is, perhaps, safer on hills, especially for inexperienced operators. But it comes at a price. HST cost more up front and you lose a few HP. I'd say it's worth the extra cost and loss of HP if your primary purposes are loader work and/or mowing around obstacles.

I have rolling hills on my place and feel safe/confident on my geared tractor. I do make sure I'm in the proper gear before starting down a hill. I'd rather be in a lower gear than normal and increase the throttle if I need a little more speed than to be in a higher gear and try to downshift on the hill.

In either case, HST or gear, experience is the best instructor. The first few hours on a new tractor should be spent going slower than usual getting a feel for that particular tractor on that particular terrain. After a few hours, you get a feel for the tractor's capabilities and safe operating ranges on different terrain.

Later,

BR

/ Manual vs Hydrostatic Trans. for hilly terrain #8  
Hydro!

/ Manual vs Hydrostatic Trans. for hilly terrain #9  
RJ,
I think that you got a real good crossection of replies from all these guys. Im not sure if I even should reply to this thread because I have never owned a hydrostatic tractor.

I have two vintage tractors and one more modern, 1986 MF 4WD with loader that I use as my work tractor. Someone brought out the point that the hydrostatic is the way to go on loader work. I would have to agree with that point, easy operation from foward to reverse! For me, its really not that big of a deal. I mean really how much loader work can I possibly do on 10 acres ? I even do some work for my neighbor on his 30 acres and dont find it to be big deal. If I was using that loader all the time, Im sure my opinion would change.

For me the big item was the price tag!!! I bought a 32HP, 4WD, deisel with 1340 hours on it for $6000. I couldnt afford a new $20,000 machine.

As far as operation on hilly terrain, I think Im qualified to respond to that question. I have about 8 acres open meadow that I mow about three times a year. The lower part of my property is steep, I mow up and down the hills on that section rather than crosswise, and I have always felt safe doing so. I mow in mid-range 4th gear about 3.5 mph in that section without a problem. As Soundguy stated, if something should go wrong, I have my FEL to lower and also my throttle control is right next to the steering wheel. If someone became so flustered to not use either of those aids in slowing down, then they shouldnt be on a tractor to begin with IMHO.

scotty

/ Manual vs Hydrostatic Trans. for hilly terrain #10  
I think most of the other replies have just about covered it. I have never bought in to the "More Power" arguement. If that was your main concern, it seems to me that it would be easy to step up one model and get those few horses at the PTO back again.

I've always used geared utility tractors at the farm. I use the hydro B2400 at the house on my slopes. I have on occasion brought one of the farm tractors home to do some heavy work. Let me say that for pure ease of use, the hydro wins hands down. There comes a time in life when it just makes sense to do things the easy way and that's hydro. If it costs a few dollars more, so be it. Given the choice, I would never own a geared tractor again.