What should I buy

/ What should I buy #11  
Another vote for the Power Trac PT-1430. for steep hills.

A conventional tractor a 15 deg slope and a bump can turn into a once in a lifetime thrill ride...

/ What should I buy
Ok, it turns out my angle is probably only 20 degrees at the steepest. At least the steepest I would ever drive on. It just feels like 45!

/ What should I buy
Bill, Thanks for the Q&A page. It sounds like a bad idea for me to be carrying soil up the hill. Maybe I will need to have a dump spot near the gardens and then just fill my pickup with dump attachment to bring it up there and dump.

/ What should I buy #14  
If you can drive a pickup up there, you should be OK with a tractor. Drive straight up and down and don't drive across the slope. The Power Trac would be a good choice for you, the FEL would give you the best wheelbarrow you've ever had.

/ What should I buy #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Bill, Thanks for the Q&A page. It sounds like a bad idea for me to be carrying soil up the hill. Maybe I will need to have a dump spot near the gardens and then just fill my pickup with dump attachment to bring it up there and dump. )</font>

With a rear engined machine like a PT, carrying soil UP the hill would not likely cause a problem at all. You wouldn't want to carry it down the hill, however, and certainly not around the hill unless you have the bucket "skimming" the ground.

EDIT: I wanted to add that you could safely back down the hill with a load in the bucket -- you just wouldn't want to drive down, bucket first...

/ What should I buy
That's a great analogy BillBill! I want a wheelbarrow that I don't have to push! Again, thank you everyone - I am really enjoying this conversation! I will check out the Power Track. Have to find a seller around here - SW Vermont. (Albany and Troy, NY are possibilities or Rutland, VT). Nancy

/ What should I buy #17  
Nancy-- I live on a hillside in the glacial moraine of Ohio. My typical section of yard is somewhere between 3/12 and 4/12 slope or 25 to 33%, which translates into 12 to 15 degrees. If you truly have 20 degrees of slope, you can still carry dirt uphill with the loader, and down. Keep the loader bucket close to the ground and keep it uphill at all times. The weight of the loader and load will keep the front end down while it's uphill from the tractor. If you can just run straight up and straight down (in reverse) to get to your various gardens, you should be fine.

I think something like a BX series Kubota with loaded tires and/or wheel weights and the smallest loader they sell for it should be pretty safe. Tell the dealer about the hillside, ask him to come out and drive the tractor on it and give you his advice about it.

There are articulated tractors made around here that work well for many. One is the Steiner, another is the VenTrac. The loaders for these machines will only lift a short distance so you can't pick things up high enough to significantly increase your rollover chances. They are 4 wheel drive, low slung, can be equipped with dual or triple wheels at each corner. I don't have an address or email, but maybe you can google them.

Another option is a type of tractor where the axles pivot with respect to the engine/transmission, which remains vertical at all times regardless of terrain. I don't know the name, but I'm sure someone here does. These are designed specifically for hilly terrain, made in Europe I think.

Can you post some pictures of your ground and gardens, maybe with a level line visible?

/ What should I buy
I've been reading about the power track and am a little peary of buying a tractor through the mail and not having the dealer local to fix it. Is there any comparable tractors to the PT-1430 in a John Deere, Kubota, Challenger or Kioto? Thanks!

/ What should I buy
Hi Rich,

I tried to post a photo but it said it was too large. I measured one pretty steep spot at 28 inches across by 10 inches down. That would probably be the steepest I would attempt. I think I want the flexibility of loading soil into my pickup with the loader, so it would have to go at least that high, around 5 1/2 feet or so. I don't have to unload it from the truck because I have a dump attachment. Thanks!

/ What should I buy #20  
At first I was going to recommend the 21HP Kubota B7510HST with LA302FEL, like I have for working my 10-acre spread since I do a lot of the chores you're interested in. But my land is flat as a pancake.

My little Bota gets me excited when I drop a rear wheel into a 6" deep tire rut (equivalent to about 10-11 degrees of tilt). I wouldn't dare run a little lightweight tractor like the 7510 on the slopes you're talking about. I don't think I would even try backing up a 45 deg slope with my tractor. Way too dicey.