What should I buy

/ What should I buy #21  
Nancy,

Well, if you need a local dealer, I guess the PT is out of the running. But I still think that it may the best tractor for your property and tasks.

I was going to suggest the new Kubota BX24 as an alternative, but the max dump height for the FEL is only 52", and if you really need 66", that's way off. I'm not sure the PT-1430 would do that, either.

The BX series and other SCUTs from JD, NH, MF, etc. will have a lower center of gravity than larger tractors. One of them may meet your needs, so I would suggest visiting your local dealers and trying them out. Then get one delivered to your property for a tryout.

/ What should I buy #22  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Nancy,

Well, if you need a local dealer, I guess the PT is out of the running. But I still think that it may the best tractor for your property and tasks.

)</font>
Any dealer for industrial equipment (skidsteers, backhoes, etc.) with hydraulics would be well equipped to work on PowerTracs -- in addition to ag dealers. They're basically an engine, three aftermarket hydraulic pumps, 4 aftermarket hydraulic wheel motors, several hydraulic cylinders, and all the controls and plumbing that goes with that... no "proprietary" gearboxes, transmissions, steering boxes, differentials, etc.

The engines are either Deutz (for diesel) or now Robins instead of Kohler (for gas) and they're easy to find parts and service for...

They're really quite simple, and are constructed almost entirely of aftermarket parts, which is one of their strengths...

/ What should I buy #23  
I think something like a CK20 from Kioti would work. You can load the tires, but the ck is pretty heavy already. Tell the dealer about the hillside. See if they will loan you one for a day. I would also suggest a Bota, but I think they would be a little light, but u could load the tires.

/ What should I buy #24  
Okay, that 10 inches in 28 is about a 35% grade, or about a 4.25/12 pitch, or just over 15 degrees. That's pretty steep, but if you drive a loader straight up the hill and back down, you should be okay. If that's the steepest part of your property, then what you have is a lot like mine. I've been running around with a B7100 with 1630 loader for quite a while, and it does get a little spooky now and then. That combination will load a normal 4x4 pickup by the way.

I still think your best bet is to go to a local dealer and tell them what you want to do -- buy a tractor/loader to use on hilly ground moving dirt and mulch. Then ask them to come out and perform some of the operations you intend to do. See what the salesman thinks and what he recommends. That way you'll get an experienced tractor jockey to actually look at what you want to do and tell you if you're an idiot to try it or not. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Try several different dealers and find out who is willing to do what to earn your business.

I think it's good that you're being cautious with this. It sounds like you'll be able find a conventional machine that will work safely if used with care, /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif and like you could tip anything over if used with abandon. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ What should I buy #25  
Peppergirl I'm late to the thread and will admit to only reading page one, so someone else may have made these suggestions.

In addition to the excellent Power Trac equipment that was recommended, please take a look at two other brands. Ventrac and Steiner. Both offer articulated machines and each of the brands has loyal fans. The PT differs from teh Ventrac and Steiners in several ways. For some people the PT is clearly superior for their specific needs. For other the Ventrac and Steiners off the advantages. But let your needs determine which is the better machine.

I've had them at my property and while I think the PT is amazing, I ended up choosing the Ventrac. It suited my needs better.

All 3 brands will turn circles around conventional tractors. In fact I can do "figure 8s" and "U-turns" with my Ventrac on slopes that are steep enough to tip over any of my other tractors and roll them down the hillside. In fact there are places that I can't turn a garden tractor, but that doesn't even slow me down on the Ventrac. I'd never even consider taking a small frame CUT or even a BX sized sub-CUT on some slopes that I can easily and confidently navigate with the Ventrac.

In one case I was building a decorative block retaining wall for a planter, I loaded up 10 blocks into a garden cart, the cart tiped over. I loaded blocks into a trailer to pull behind the Ventrac, the trailer tipped and twisted the tongue like a candy cane. The Ventrac, with 10 blocks in its front bucket had no problems. So 10 blocks at a time I built the wall.

Want to buy a trailer? Tongue is a little twisted /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

There are lots of things a small tractor should not do. Slopes fall into the DON'T DO category if you have to cross them. Whatever you get, make sure it carries the weight VERY LOW. That is the problem with compact tractors, most carry their weight too high. The other advantage that Ventrac and Steiner have is that they have weight transfer systems (on most models) that actually increase the traction on the tires. No CUT on the planet can do that!

/ What should I buy #26  
Peppergirl,

I'm with Bob on this one. PowerTrac seems ideal except for the loading issue. Why don't you consider getting a small dump trailer and load it with the PT and tow it with your truck?

You should not be scared by the lack of PowerTrac dealers. Lots of advice on this board in the PowerTrac section and as several people have pointed out, the machines are so simple that a lawn mower shop and hydraulics shop are all you would ever need to handle maintenance.

Although the modifications are unauthorized, it is possible to reverse the wheels on the PT425 (which is probably the right size for you) and thereby enhance stablity futher.

As Bob has pointed out, Steiner and Ventrac are also quality articulated tractors. Not as much of a following on TBN but they do have dealer networks. Neither of these would have any advantage over the PT with regard to FEL lift/dump height however.

/ What should I buy #27  
Bob and Ed -- She wants to be able to dump a load from the bucket into a truck -- something like 66" of underbucket clearance needed. I'm pretty sure the Steiner loader won't do that, how about the Ventrac? The last Steiner I looked at with a loader only lifted about a foot -- good for loading, carrying, and dumping, but not for loading a truck.

/ What should I buy #28  
Ventrac has 2 versions. I have the low lift version. They also have a traditional FEL available on their 4000 series machines. Not sure what the lift height is on that but I'm sure it is on their website. It would probably compare favorably with a BX series loader, but the tractor will be phenominally better on a slope.

/ What should I buy #29  

Attachments

• 859453-minihoe1.jpg
    859453-minihoe1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 75
   / What should I buy #30  
If you have the land at the top of the hill, you can use the tractor to cut into the hillside and reduce the slope a bit. That is my plan with my Kioti CK25. If the hill is not so steep that a pickup will climb it safely, then you should have no trouble with the tractor. Just don't get sideways, and keep your load low. As for subcuts, also look at the TYM T273. It sits nice and low and is very maneuverable, and will be easy on your lawn.

BTW, I have a JD425 all wheel steer that I use to mow SIDEWAYS across a 15 degree or greater slope, and she has never shown any desire to tip. I would think the new JD SCUTs would have similar stance - wide, low, and heavy.

But, you need to go and try some out for yourself.