What should I buy

/ What should I buy #1  

PepperGirl

Hello, I was browsing around and came on this site - thought you all might help. I need a tractor to do front loading dirt and mulch and digging holes for bushes/small trees in my garden. I live on a steep hill - maybe 45 degrees in places and am afraid of tipping or feeling like I am tipping, so need something stable, easy to use and care for. (the dumping/loading and digging would mostly be on the level areas, but I need to drive on hill to get there with materials. Can anyone recommend a brand/model, new vs. used? Thank you. Nancy

/ What should I buy #2  
Hi Nancy, and welcome to TBN!
I personally will never be taking any tractor on a 45 degree slope. My heart just wouldn't stand it.

Please go to MY HOME at the top of page, then click on personal settings and fill out your profile so that we know all there is to know about your size of property, area, etc. This helps us to give you better answers without having to ask you each time. Those who live closer to your area will also be able to give you more accurate info regarding dealers and pricing.

I don't know enough about your needs to give any recommendations. How much will you be loading, digging etc. Is this a property that is large and will need some mower work as well? Are you growing plants and trees for a living? Will you be doing a lot of loading and need to have a loader that will dump into a high truck or similar?

These are some of the things we need to know to give to better advice.

Tractors should never be driven ACROSS steep slopes, but should be traversed vertically, often backing up them. You would need a tractor on which you could move the tires out for more stability as well. A tractor with a low center of gravity is a must.

Tell us more about your situation, and lots of folks will chime in to help.

John

/ What should I buy
Hi John, Thanks for the reply! I don't need a mower - have guys do that. I need to move maybe a couple of loads of dirt a day or maybe a week. Then in spring, lots of mulch. I have about 5 large gardens, between 500 and 2000 square feet. Then I need to dig holes any time I want to plant a bush or a little tree. I have a little back proble, so it can't be too strenuous attaching loader or backhoe. I would prefer to leave then on if possible. I need to load the soil or mulch at the bottom of the hill where I get it delivered then carry it up the hill to the gardens (which are flat once I get there). There is a gravel road from bottom to top of hill where the gardens are, unless I make a new garden somewhere else. Is there a certain brand/model with a low center of gravity that is easy to use? Thanks! Nancy

/ What should I buy
PS: I also need one that will not wreck the lawn.

/ What should I buy
I am now reading about mini skid loaders. I wonder if that's all I need.

/ What should I buy #6  
Skid loaders would be even more "tippy" than tractors on a slope.

Are you sure your slope is 45 degrees? Even a 4 wheel drive vehicle like a combat Hummer would have a lot of trouble climbing a 45 degree slope and would be dangerous traversing such a slope. Tractors in general start to have issues with even 18-20 degree slopes.

/ What should I buy #7  
If the hill is your biggest concern, there are machines made for that task.

Slope Machine

The model I linked is ussually sold for mowing, but they have all kinds of quick tach (no need to get off the machine unless attaching hydraulic lines) attachments suited for exactly the type of tasks you are noting. They make even more attachments than the ones listed; I'm thinking the ones in the 18 class fit the TSM, but may be way off base there.

You just can't get more power in the same footprint as a skid steer, but they do like to eat your lawn and would be easier to tip over than something like the PT slope machine.

/ What should I buy #8  
I have to agree with the statement that a skid steer would not be the way to go. You want something that WILL tear up your lawn, buy a skid steer. The name itself will tell you that to skid to steer means something is not moving while something IS moving and if it's turning with a part of it stationary, then it's going to tear up whatever is under the stationary part. That's how skid steers drive, and they really leave some tracks, and yes, they would not be good on slopes.

Honestly, the first things that came to mind were Kubota's BX23 and Powertrac's system. I understand the power tracs are pretty slope-hugging, and have all manner of attachments available that are supposed to be easily interchanged. The only thing about them is that you must buy direct from the MFG, and have service done by someone in your area, or send back to PT for the service. A tractor will usually have many dealers in many locations.
The BX, I think, is pretty good on slopes, but we'll have to hear from an owner. They are lower to the ground than many others, but I don't remember if the stance is wide enough for a steep slope.
I rather agree that your slope may be more accesible than a 45 degree angle would permit. 20% would be my top, but I must confess, I'm not sure I would recognize for sure the degree until I was starting onto it, and my "pucker factor" would say, "Get the heck off this slope!"
Massey also makes a good sub-cut (like Kubota) that may also serve you well enough, but once again, I'm not sure of slope fitness of either.
A kubota BX with backhoe and loader probably would be a good choice.
Come on owners, tell us about slopes on your BX.
John

/ What should I buy #9  
PepperGirl,

Check out the Power Trac PT-1430. Add a couple of buckets and a mini-hoe, and you should be all set - assuming you don't really have a 45 degree slope. Can you drive anything up there now? Look at the last question on this Q&A page for a good discussion of "tractors on steep slopes".

/ What should I buy
Well thank you everyone for the input. I am wondering now about the slope - I can drive my utility cart no problem, and my pickup. I am going to go measure it and get out the geometry book to figure out the angle and let you know. I think I will IxNey the skid loader though. I think I came to the right place! Nothing like group input! Nancy